Blue Murder - 'Nothin' but trouble'

Geoff

This CD has been on the edge of my trade list for literally over 10 years now, but keeps managing to stay off it. Spun it again last night and song like 'We all fall down', 'Cry for love', 'Runaway' and 'Save my love' are just really good tunes. Even the cover of 'Itchycoo Park' is actually not bad. There are a few fillers, but overall Sykes' guitarwork and some really melodic choruses just pull this over the line, yet again. Certainly not the greatest CD of all time, but a keeper, if you ask me.

How does this compare with the debut for you?

I love both of them but I prefer the heavier style on the debut.

"Nothin' But Trouble" is very good though IMO and there really isn't one song on it I don't like.

I hope now that Sykes left Thin Lizzy that he puts Blue Murder back together.

I think I still prefer the debut too, but I'm not even 100% sure. Neither will even be my favourite album of all time but they both deliver pretty hard.

Even the cover of 'Itchycoo Park' is actually not bad.

I love that cover....one of my favourites.

I love both of them but I prefer the heavier style on the debut.

"Nothin' But Trouble" is very good though IMO and there really isn't one song on it I don't like.

I hope now that Sykes left Thin Lizzy that he puts Blue Murder back together.

The debut is the best IMO only because there is a couple of fillers on Nothin' But Trouble but both very good albums and it would also be great for them to get back together again because for some reason, Sykes just can't cut it as a solo artist

This CD has been on the edge of my trade list for literally over 10 years now, but keeps managing to stay off it. Spun it again last night and song like 'We all fall down', 'Cry for love', 'Runaway' and 'Save my love' are just really good tunes. Even the cover of 'Itchycoo Park' is actually not bad. There are a few fillers, but overall Sykes' guitarwork and some really melodic choruses just pull this over the line, yet again. Certainly not the greatest CD of all time, but a keeper, if you ask me.

Sorry mate I didn't like the debut one little bit. "Valley of the Kings" was a cool melodic song but I didn't hear many other hooks and quickly got rid. Nice big lush sound but it was poorly mixed and didn't really cut it for me. The 2nd disc was more melodic but still patchy - but worth keeping for the cool solos and few great songs (the ones you mention).

Sorry mate I didn't like the debut one little bit. "Valley of the Kings" was a cool melodic song but I didn't hear many other hooks and quickly got rid. Nice big lush sound but it was poorly mixed and didn't really cut it for me. The 2nd disc was more melodic but still patchy - but worth keeping for the cool solos and few great songs (the ones you mention).

Yeah, to be honest I only ever had a tape of the debut and was happy with that. But a hell-cheap copy of the CD crossed my path and I picked it up. I admit there is not a hook in sight, but it still has some appeal over me. Very well played, I guess. The song with the stupid name and riff that sounds like Roxx Gang's 'Live fast die young' is a monster. Something about jelly?

I always found the debut to be like a ploddy version of Whitesnake, and didnt expect much from the second album, but fucking loved it.

For me, its ten times the album the debut was.

I like both, the debut edges 'Nothin' But Trouble' for me. They are both definite keepers in my book though for sure.

That air horn that kicks in for We All Fall Down, just builds up for the incredible song it is! the cd's worth keeping for that alone! Dance gets an honorable mention.

Nothin but Trouble is a very good cd, but like others have mentioned I like the heavier edge of their S/T. That being said, this one still gets plenty of play.

I prefer the debut miles above Nothin' But Trouble. As I've stated before, Save My Love sounds like something Whitney Houston would belch out; Sykes should've saved that one for his sappy Loveland release. The debut sold in decent numbers, but Geffen's plan in even signing Sykes to their label was a vain attempt to get him and Coverdale back together in Whitesnake. They largely ignored Nothin' But Trouble with next to zero promotion, and matters weren't helped any by Sykes' bizarre choice of piddling around for a couple of years before recording the follow-up to the debut. Tony Franklin and Carmine Appice simply weren't going to sit around forever and wait for Sykes to finish building his studio (which was destroyed by the Northridge earthquake anyway), and although Marco Mendoza was a good enough replacement for Franklin, the fine start created by the debut was ground to a halt by lengthy inactivity. People are fickle; they forget and move on to other interests, and Sykes' had no one to blame but himself for the fact the band all but disappeared and then tanked without that fan base established by the debut. He is free from the years-too-long "tribute" to Phil Lynott's legacy, but I'd take any Blue Murder reunion rumors with a grain of salt. I doubt Franklin and Appice want to go through another bout of Sykes' heel-dragging. God help us all if he decides to feature himself in another solo venture filled with tepid rockers and overblown, syrupy ballads, but I'm afraid his days of kicking serious ass are all but over. What a waste of the last 20 years.

I love the debut, much better than Nothin (which is still a very good CD). The debut is 9/10 for me, very consistent and nice and heavy, probably too heavy for radio. Nothin has some great tunes as mentioned above and a killer ballad at the end but a little too much filler, so maybe 6.5/10.

Fuck it, here's how I would rate all of John Sykes albums and I too would love for him to get recording again:

9.5 Whitesnake - 1987

9.0 Blue Murder - S/T

6.5 Blue Murder - Nothin' But Trouble

7.5 Sykes - Out Of My Tree

7.5 Sykes - Loveland

6.5 Sykes - 20th Century

5.0 Sykes - Nuclear Cowboy

Dance gets an honorable mention.

Yeah, that one has a killer pre-chorus, but not really sold on the chorus. A bit corny.

I love the debut, much better than Nothin (which is still a very good CD). The debut is 9/10 for me, very consistent and nice and heavy, probably too heavy for radio. Nothin has some great tunes as mentioned above and a killer ballad at the end but a little too much filler, so maybe 6.5/10.

Fuck it, here's how I would rate all of John Sykes albums and I too would love for him to get recording again:

9.5 Whitesnake - 1987

9.0 Blue Murder - S/T

7.5 Sykes - Loveland

6.5 Sykes - 20th Century

People seem to forget Sykes' stuff pre Whitesnake/ Blue Murder stuff. What about the Tygers Of Pan Tang and Thin Lizzy albums he did?. The Tygers 'Spellbound' was/is a fantastic disc and some of his playing on that is mighty fine indeed. Thin Lizzy's 'Thunder And Lightning' is another great disc with Sykes on that people seem to forget. If you ain't heard them, check 'em out and see. :drink:

9.5 Whitesnake - 1987

9.0 Blue Murder - S/T

7.5 Sykes - Loveland

6.5 Sykes - 20th Century

People seem to forget Sykes' stuff pre Whitesnake/ Blue Murder stuff. What about the Tygers Of Pan Tang and Thin Lizzy albums he did?. The Tygers 'Spellbound' was/is a fantastic disc and some of his playing on that is mighty fine indeed. Thin Lizzy's 'Thunder And Lightning' is another great disc with Sykes on that people seem to forget. If you ain't heard them, check 'em out and see. :drink:

backed.