Dokken - Dysfunctional: Favorite Song

Dokken - Dysfunctional: Favorite Song  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a great cd IMO but for some reason it was a dissapointment to some when it first came out.

I really liked this cd upon first listen and to me it still stands up very well.

While it didn't sound exactly like 'Back for the Attack' or 'Under Lock and Key' it still had some of those classic Dokken elements but also introduced some newer sounds but without sounding Grunge or Alternative.

Every song is a winner IMO but my favorite is probably 'Long Way Home' but that could change tomorrow. :banger:

Edit: Well I had this set up as a poll but somehow it f#@ked up and it deleted the poll part.

So if a mod can maybe add the poll part that'd be great.

Edit #2: Thanks to Mike for fixing my screw up. :headbanger:

I, too, love this album.....now, it's not their best, but it is excellent and highly underrated. Too High To Fly....The Maze....Nothing Left To Say...all great tunes...

I, too, love this album.....now, it's not their best, but it is excellent and highly underrated. Too High To Fly....The Maze....Nothing Left To Say...all great tunes...

Yup all 3 of those are great songs and it's to bad that 'The Maze' wasn't a hit because it should of been.

I'd pick 'Nothing Left To Say' if Wes hadn't broken the poll. To be honest, not a huge fan of this disc but it's okay.

I'd pick 'Nothing Left To Say' if Wes hadn't broken the poll. To be honest, not a huge fan of this disc but it's okay.

I didn't break it I swear. To be honest I'm not sure what happened.

I had it all filled out with the songs and everything so I don't know what happened. :doh:

Oh and by the way 'Nothing Left to Say' is a great tune and is probably my 3rd favorite Dokken ballad behind 'Alone Again' and 'Walk Away'.

"Lesser of Two Evils".... easy. One of my favorites from them period; not just from this disc. :banger:

"The Maze" was the song that got me hooked on this album.

I remember back in '95 when our area radio station started playing "Too High To Fly". Since the station totally ignores all 80's bands, yet they'll play '70's crap and '90's crap, I knew there had to be a reason. Sure enough, they were playing at Hammerjacks (R.I.P.). After the show (which killed by the way) was done, they never played Dokken again. Which is a shame because Dysfunctional was a great disc. Radio stations BLOW. They act as if the '80's hard rock/metal scene never even existed, yet it was the highest album sales period for rock music. :crazy:

As for my fav. track, it has to be "Shadows Of Life". :banger:

Closely followed:

"Lesser Of Two Evils"

"The Maze"

"Nothing Left To Say"

and

"Too High To Fly"

Shadows of Life for me on a kick ass album. I do prefer the S/T version better for the raw sound but this is a killer disc & should have been bigger. It did sell over 200,000 units though if I remember correctly?

Shadows of Life for me on a kick ass album. I do prefer the S/T version better for the raw sound but this is a killer disc & should have been bigger. It did sell over 200,000 units though if I remember correctly?

That number sounds about right although it might of his 250,000 and it did get some promotion and 'Too High to Fly' did some radio airplay in some places. It still should of done better but for the time to see a band from the 80's sell those kind of units I guess was pretty good.

I remember reading an interview w/Don years back where he said DYSFUNCTIONAL sold about 200K -- then SHADOWLIFE did around 100K... to which he said "so we lost half our fanbase in two years" :rofl:

I remember reading an interview w/Don years back where he said DYSFUNCTIONAL sold about 200K -- then SHADOWLIFE did around 100K... to which he said "so we lost half our fanbase in two years" :rofl:

Shit.... Don's lucky that fucking disc full of garbage sold 1,000!! :rofl2:

Shit.... Don's lucky that fucking disc full of garbage sold 1,000!! :rofl2:

:rofl: Then Don spent the rest of the interview blaming George Lynch for the SHADOWLIFE debacle, of course.

For the record, there are actually some moments on SHADOWLIFE that are pretty cool... but that album shouldn't have had the Dokken name on it, that's for sure. Then again, I can be charitable about it because I paid $5.99 for it when Columbia House had one of their clearance sales. If I'd paid fifteen bucks for it as a new release, I probably would've been a little pissed off by that album too. :hammer:

For the record, there are actually some moments on SHADOWLIFE that are pretty cool

Yeah, I agree. That final note of the album when you realise it's all finally over and you can place the CD in the bin, burn it, send it to Finland and never hear of it again is a pretty cool moment indeed.

To be fair, I did like 2 songs off of Shadowlife. Those two are the ballad "Hard To Believe" and the song Jeff Pilson sings lead on "Here I Stand". The rest IMO is pure utter garbage. And I had to say one of my favorite bands sold out to "the sound of the day". That still pisses me off!! :angry:

While it doesn't really compare to their 80's releases for me.... I agree that it's still a solid hard rock release.

My favorite song on it would have to be "Too High to Fly"!

I remember back in '95 when our area radio station started playing "Too High To Fly". Since the station totally ignores all 80's bands, yet they'll play '70's crap and '90's crap, I knew there had to be a reason. Sure enough, they were playing at Hammerjacks (R.I.P.). After the show (which killed by the way) was done, they never played Dokken again. Which is a shame because Dysfunctional was a great disc. Radio stations BLOW. They act as if the '80's hard rock/metal scene never even existed, yet it was the highest album sales period for rock music. :crazy:

As for my fav. track, it has to be "Shadows Of Life". :banger:

Closely followed:

"Lesser Of Two Evils"

"The Maze"

"Nothing Left To Say"

and

"Too High To Fly"

Backed! :beerbang:

There was nothing good on this album... <_<

• 2023 Gold Donors

I agree, these are all among my favorites off of this album.

• 2 weeks later...