Place Vendome - Streets Of Fire

zacharyamelie

Heard a promo of this today and the benchmark for 2009 has been set at a very high level, and I like it. Albums are really going to have to deliver to compete with this and I think it's a great way to start off a year as it'll weed out all the shit.

My brief first spin impression, track by track:

1. Streets of Fire ; Awesome hard rock opener. A real winner.

2. My Guardian Angel ; Even better tune - beautiful mid-tempo melodic rocker.

3. Completely Breathless ; but we're not done yet - this one tops the first two again! Another sultry mid-tempo melodic rock gem.

4. Follow Me ; Cool hard rocker with a simply stunning chorus.

5. Set Me Free ; Very good ballad/mid-tempo tune. Some different lyrics here and another great chorus.

6. Believer ; Great sounding rocker, with a pretty tacky chorus.

7. Valerie (The Truth Is in Your Eyes) ; 100% through and through this is a Work of Art cover. No mistaking it. Even if I didn't read it above, I reckon I'd have guessed this. Good song, but very different style to the rest of the disc. Out of place, but a good track regardless.

8. A Scene in Reply ; Great song with a truly off-the-charts stunning chorus.

9. Changes ; melodic rock bliss. Another wonderful tune.

10. Surrender Your Soul ; Another good solid rocker.

11. Dancer ; ZOMFG! Awesome tune. Wear a seatbelt when hearing this for the first time.

12. I'd Die for Your ; Great ballad closing tune. Almost pompous at times. Good closer.

Overall, I'd go out on a limb and say it is better than the debut. A really great disc which, as I say, does set a high standard for 2009.

As ive said a few times already....only D2 or maybe W.E.T. capable of beating this I reckon

Seriously, how good is this album?? Absolutely phenomenal.

Would have probably topped my list for 2008. will probably for 2009.

The bar has definitely been set. & its sky high

:bowdown: x 100

Heard a promo of this today and the benchmark for 2009 has been set at a very high level, and I like it. Albums are really going to have to deliver to compete with this and I think it's a great way to start off a year as it'll weed out all the shit.

3. Completely Breathless ; but we're not done yet - this one tops the first two again! Another sultry mid-tempo melodic rock gem.

5. Set Me Free ; Very good ballad/mid-tempo tune. Some different lyrics here and another great chorus.

7. Valerie (The Truth Is in Your Eyes) ; 100% through and through this is a Work of Art cover. No mistaking it. Even if I didn't read it above, I reckon I'd have guessed this. Good song, but very different style to the rest of the disc. Out of place, but a good track regardless.

11. Dancer ; ZOMFG! Awesome tune. Wear a seatbelt when hearing this for the first time.

12. I'd Die for Your ; Great ballad closing tune. Almost pompous at times. Good closer.

Overall, I'd go out on a limb and say it is better than the debut. A really great disc which, as I say, does set a high standard for 2009.

As ive said a few times already....only D2 or maybe W.E.T. capable of beating this I reckon

Who the hell balls are W.E.T???

Yeah, it's a monster album. On second listen I kind of don't really dig 'Believer' and the next weakest song, IMO, is 'Valerie' but aside from those two, the rest are just monsters. Whoever wrote the choruses on this album was on so much fire when this was written. Some of the best melodic hard rock choruses I've heard in the last decade. And a lot of them. 'A scene in reply' is just captivating. As are 'My guardian angel', 'Dancer' and the aptly titled 'Completely breathless'.

Who the hell balls are W.E.T???

Yeah, it's a monster album. On second listen I kind of don't really dig 'Believer' and the next weakest song, IMO, is 'Valerie' but aside from those two, the rest are just monsters. Whoever wrote the choruses on this album was on so much fire when this was written. Some of the best melodic hard rock choruses I've heard in the last decade. And a lot of them. 'A scene in reply' is just captivating. As are 'My guardian angel', 'Dancer' and the aptly titled 'Completely breathless'.

Mark your diary for Sept 2009 when W.E.T. hits - its the JSS collaboration with The Work Of Art guys and its supposed to be sensational!

As for Place Vendome....awesome in a word.

The second half of the album in particular is just bloody great.......I mean how good is the last track???? Jesus Christ. One of the best pomp rock songs Ive heard in a long, long time. :bowdown:

I can't wait for this one, I absolutely loved the first album. I also can't get the bloody soundbytes to work so will just have to hope I get my copy soon....

P.s. Hope it's better than the new Bad Habit album. :whistle:

I can't wait for this one, I absolutely loved the first album. I also can't get the bloody soundbytes to work so will just have to hope I get my copy soon....

It pisses on Bad Habit. From a great height. :tumbsup:

(PS I do like 'I Need Someone' tho).

Holy shit!!! No kidding about this one being great. Dancer is like....wow...I think I need another pair of shorts. 2009 is off with a bang. :banana:

Yeah, I like the Bad Habit disc but this murders it without raising a scrotal hair.

Yeah, I like the Bad Habit disc but this murders it without raising a scrotal hair.

You have 'A' scrotal hair. I thought you Pissed through that mate :D

You have 'A' scrotal hair. I thought you Pissed through that mate :D

You think just 'cause my penis is small, black and curly you can poke fun at it? :(

Ok a couple of things...........

1. What's the Karlsson song?? I reckon it must be 'Guardian Angel'...that sounds like him in the solo. If so its a great song!

2. 'Completely Breathless'.........jesus, Kiske is so close to singing 'Completely Brainless'...anyone else picked up on this....almost ruins the song for me. Almost.

• 2 weeks later...
with a very brief listen, first impressions.

a huge dose of Journey, with a pinch of Danger Danger and a hair of AdrianGale. I swear, one song could be a leftover AdrianGale song. same vibe, same signature sound and groove.

I'm not sure I agree with that, I don't really like AdrianGale much but I love Place Vendome. This one sounds fairly similar to the debut but just a little more varied. There are some progressive touches, some pomp, & some slightly heavier tunes than on the debut, but overall - from listening to the soundbytes only - it still sounds every bit as good as that awesome first album. The only track I'm not really taken with is the ballad on the end....

a huge dose of Journey, with a pinch of Danger Danger and a hair of AdrianGale. I swear, one song could be a leftover AdrianGale song. same vibe, same signature sound and groove.

The only track I'm not really taken with is the ballad on the end....

:yikes:

You wait til you hear the full song! Just awesome - half way through the song changes and is nothing short of mind blowing.

The only track I'm not really taken with is the ballad on the end....

:yikes:

You wait til you hear the full song! Just awesome - half way through the song changes and is nothing short of mind blowing.

The kick ass piano reminds me of VH's Right Now. I love the whole Place Vendome release.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've spun this about a dozen times now, and it really is sensational. I loved the first album but this is definitely more consistent, & the songwriting is flawless throughout, so is the stunning production. And Kiske sounds better than ever, despite him not really liking AOR (so he says in the liner notes of the CD). The first half is great, but once you get to Track 6 this thing really takes off & the closing few songs are just incredible. This is my lowdown on the tracks....

01. Streets OF Fire - Stunning opener. Great pre-chorus, like the opening tune ("Cross the Line") from the S/T album

02. My Guardian Angel - Magnus Karlsson tune with another HUGE chorus, ultra smooth AOR gem. Big song.

03. Completely Breathless - Good laidback tune, nice chorus

04. Follow Me - More great up-tempo AOR

05. Set Me Free - Yet another strong mid-tempo tune. This album is sounding more AOR than the first album was...

06. Believer - Absolute monster. Lush keyboards, totally OTT chorus that will give you goosebumps

07. Valerie (The Truth Is In Your Eyes) - Nice tune from the Work of Art songwriter. More of a Westcoast feel, strong chorus

08. A Scene In Replay - Album highlight. Stunning song, lush hooks & the best AOR chorus in years. HUGE.

09. Changes - Killer pre-chorus leads in to a smoother chorus, but another very strong tune

10. Surrender Your Soul - The best song Journey never wrote. Stunning mid-tempo song, with a Journey-like chorus. Killer.

11. Dancer - Wow, another awesome tune. Flawless AOR verses & another spine-tingling chorus

12. I'd Die For You - Great ballad. Takes a while to get going, but builds into a mighty closing tune.

10. Surrender Your Soul - The best song Journey never wrote. Stunning mid-tempo song, with a Journey-like chorus. Killer.

exactly my thoughts.

(pretty much agree with the whole post in fact).

2008 nearly started and certainly finished with Work of Art and Brother Firetribe at the top of my best of list. I have a feeling the same will be said with the Streets Of Fire at the end 2009. Brilliant!!!!

Tim's track by track review pretty much sums up what I think of this release.

Even though I'd rather Kiske go back to the Helloween style Metal that made him famous, I do have to admit that the debut Place Vendome was pretty damn good AOR, and this is coming from a guy that don't listen to to much AOR.

When I think of Michael I tend to think of his soaring high vocals over double bass drums...so it was a surprise for me when I first heard Place Vendome. But nonetheless, it shows how versatile he can be. The conviction he brings from that power metal voice adds quite a punch to the AOR. I didn't complain. :D

• 8 months later...
  • 7 years later...