Silver pressed CD opinions

Geoff

Does owning the silver-pressed version of a rare CD honestly alter one's perception of it, or are these kids just constantly promoting the disc with the hope of selling for good coin one day?

Just a random tongue-in-cheek thread I was thinking about the other day in a Jillson discussion with Andre. And that disc is the perfect example. Generally, I think most people do agree it's a pretty ordinary CD, but there seems to be one thing in common with everyone who loves it - they all own a silver pressed copy of it! :lol:

So are you one of these folk? Do you admit to talking up certain CDs with the hope of selling it for good coin one day?

Me, I always prefer the opinion of someone with a CDR... generally more accurate. ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand both sides of this discussion. I'm a collector and I do prefer silver pressed as they simply hold up better over time but I don't abuse any cd I have. I also like to have the original inserts so I check out cover art, lyrics, liner notes, etc. That said, I'll take a cd-r over nothing any day. I also like to check out something before I buy it and this works right into this thread. I was hooked up recently with some cd-r's by a stand up guy who posts here (*cough* Geoff *cough*). After listening to them, I now know which ones I want to pursue for my collection, which is pretty much all of them. Point being, if it's something I really like I don't mind copies as a stepping stone but I eventually want the real thing. Otherwise, a copy is fine . I just don't know how much I'd listen to it. Thanks again Geoff. :drink:

I can understand both sides of this discussion. I'm a collector and I do prefer silver pressed as they simply hold up better over time but I don't abuse any cd I have. I also like to have the original inserts so I check out cover art, lyrics, liner notes, etc. That said, I'll take a cd-r over nothing any day. I also like to check out something before I buy it and this works right into this thread. I was hooked up recently with some cd-r's by a stand up guy who posts here (*cough* Geoff *cough*). After listening to them, I now know which ones I want to pursue for my collection, which is pretty much all of them. Point being, if it's something I really like I don't mind copies as a stepping stone but I eventually want the real thing. Otherwise, a copy is fine . I just don't know how much I'd listen to it. Thanks again Geoff. :drink:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong mate. Not at all. I certainly prefer the original CD ANY day of the week, but I know for me, that would never change my opinion on the songs. And I guess that's why I've failed miserably as an ebay seller. :(

• 2023 Gold Donors

Since its a cd/cdr thread ...id just like to add i have no problem with bands or even labels selling cdrs as long as that is what they are being advertised as..but don't do like another band recently did or whatever and sell a bunch of 'em to folks who had no clue they were getting that kind of media.

If there is a cd I love, I'm gonna tracked down a silver pressed copy, and most likely an original not reissue. I did that with Spread Eagle, Vain and Helix. I was pissed though when I bought those Banshee reissues that turned out to be CD-R's. I still haven't even listened to the damn things yet.

• 2023 Gold Donors
I was pissed though when I bought those Banshee reissues that turned out to be CD-R's. I still haven't even listened to the damn things yet.

Yeah...they needed gas money to drive down to 'Rocklahoma' ya know? :whistle: Ive heard the 'Take Em By Storm' cdr -not too bad of sound quality.

Since its a cd/cdr thread ...id just like to add i have no problem with bands or even labels selling cdrs as long as that is what they are being advertised as..but don't do like another band recently did or whatever and sell a bunch of 'em to folks who had no clue they were getting that kind of media.

Backed completely. As long as you know what you're buying I don't care what it is. But to lure someone into buying something that is nothing like what they think they're buying, that's not cool at all.

Backed completely. As long as you know what you're buying I don't care what it is. But to lure someone into buying something that is nothing like what they think they're buying, that's not cool at all.

Double backed. At least let me know what I'm getting.

Double backed. At least let me know what I'm getting.

Backed. Mongrels. Grumpy i am.

I have c.d.r's and silver pressed. I would prefer silver, but sometimes you get what you get. If I buy a c.d. that's a bootleg, I'll keep it until it gets a professional release.

I did pick up a c.d. of a band called OCTOBER N. J. and it was a 3 song demo. I opened it up and it was a c.d.r.. The music is really good and I got a feelin', it wasn't for the public.

I don't really think of myself as a collector....I'm more interested in having the music and I prefer the silver pressed version for its longevity and the proper liner notes and lyrics. That said if it is only available in cd-r form or I can't afford the normal version then I'll take it that way...I'll even take it as mp3s if necessary...and no the music doesn't get better if it is silver pressed but I'll enjoy the listening experience a bit more with the lyrics in hand....

I was pissed though when I bought those Banshee reissues that turned out to be CD-R's. I still haven't even listened to the damn things yet.

Yeah...they needed gas money to drive down to 'Rocklahoma' ya know? :whistle: Ive heard the 'Take Em By Storm' cdr -not too bad of sound quality.

I think tha Take Em by Storm is getting released soon on Silver.

Does owning the silver-pressed version of a rare CD honestly alter one's perception of it, or are these kids just constantly promoting the disc with the hope of selling for good coin one day?

Just a random tongue-in-cheek thread I was thinking about the other day in a Jillson discussion with Andre. And that disc is the perfect example. Generally, I think most people do agree it's a pretty ordinary CD, but there seems to be one thing in common with everyone who loves it - they all own a silver pressed copy of it! :lol:

So are you one of these folk? Do you admit to talking up certain CDs with the hope of selling it for good coin one day?

Me, I always prefer the opinion of someone with a CDR... generally more accurate. ;)

untill you own those coveted silver pressings mate........ just don't bother... you aren't able to comprehend :tumbsup:

untill you own those coveted silver pressings mate........ just don't bother... you aren't able to comprehend :tumbsup:

Why not? I'd love to see a single valid reason why. The floor is yours...

mate, as i said you just aren't able to understand.... you are incapable. it's just you mate. its ok..you've got your modern nu breed rock. be happy. i am :beerbang:

mate, as i said you just aren't able to understand.... you are incapable. it's just you mate. its ok..you've got your modern nu breed rock. be happy. i am :beerbang:

So in other words, that's a no. You have no valid reason why having a silver pressed CD makes a difference at all when appreciating the actual music. That's the difference between you and me, my good man. I'm here for the love of the music (whether it be silver pressed, CDR, MP3, modern, glam, AOR, MHR, tape, LP etc.). I don't care how I get it and what tags it comes with, as long as the songs are good. You're here to have the best, rarest collection (regardless of how good or awful some of those really rare discs are), which is good - that's your thing. Nice for show and to brag about... But the music's far more important to me, mate. :)

So in other words, that's a no. You have no valid reason why having a silver pressed CD makes a difference at all when appreciating the actual music. That's the difference between you and me, my good man. I'm here for the love of the music (whether it be silver pressed, CDR, MP3, modern, glam, AOR, MHR, tape, LP etc.). I don't care how I get it and what tags it comes with, as long as the songs are good. You're here to have the best, rarest collection (regardless of how good or awful some of those really rare discs are), which is good - that's your thing. Nice for show and to brag about... But the music's far more important to me, mate. :)

lol.... you are a trouble maker.... lol.. look at that response eh.. what makes you think i own anything i dont like?

your assumptions have made an ass of yourself yet again , mate :)

lol.... you are a trouble maker.... lol.. look at that response eh.. what makes you think i own anything i dont like?

Didn't say you own anything you don't like. :)

yes you good man, you do with this bold aggressive statement " You're here to have the best, rarest collection (regardless of how good or awful some of those really rare discs are), "

:popcorn:

i don't think you'll ever get 'it' g

I personally will take a CDR over the prospect of never affording/finding a silver press.

Yeah, what he said.

yes you good man, you do with this bold aggressive statement " You're here to have the best, rarest collection (regardless of how good or awful some of those really rare discs are), "

:popcorn:

i don't think you'll ever get 'it' g

I said there are awful discs. I didn't say you hadn't convinced yourself to like these awful discs.

It's kind of come around to the original point of this thread. I personally think you rate CDs based on 1. how rare it is and then 2. how good the actual music is. I go straight to 2.

Having a CD that no one owns or has never heard is important to you, regardless of how good it is. I couldn't care less about that. If you're planning to deny this, think about the Fate demos before you post. ;)

I'll never get it? Mate, take a look at the last few posts. Most of us don't have the millions of dollars you have to spend on $500-a-pop silver pressed CDs. CDRs are the only way a lot of us can actually listen to these really rare bands. Are you really saying our appreciation of the actual music is less or inferior to yours, just because you have money to burn on the silver pressed version?

What exactly is 'it' that I don't get? :)