Silver pressed CD opinions

Geoff

Does owning the silver-pressed version of a rare CD honestly alter one's perception of it, or are these kids just constantly promoting the disc with the hope of selling for good coin one day?

Just a random tongue-in-cheek thread I was thinking about the other day in a Jillson discussion with Andre. And that disc is the perfect example. Generally, I think most people do agree it's a pretty ordinary CD, but there seems to be one thing in common with everyone who loves it - they all own a silver pressed copy of it! :lol:

So are you one of these folk? Do you admit to talking up certain CDs with the hope of selling it for good coin one day?

Me, I always prefer the opinion of someone with a CDR... generally more accurate. ;)

untill you own those coveted silver pressings mate........ just don't bother... you aren't able to comprehend :tumbsup:

Why not? I'd love to see a single valid reason why. The floor is yours...

mate, as i said you just aren't able to understand.... you are incapable. it's just you mate. its ok..you've got your modern nu breed rock. be happy. i am :beerbang:

So in other words, that's a no. You have no valid reason why having a silver pressed CD makes a difference at all when appreciating the actual music. That's the difference between you and me, my good man. I'm here for the love of the music (whether it be silver pressed, CDR, MP3, modern, glam, AOR, MHR, tape, LP etc.). I don't care how I get it and what tags it comes with, as long as the songs are good. You're here to have the best, rarest collection (regardless of how good or awful some of those really rare discs are), which is good - that's your thing. Nice for show and to brag about... But the music's far more important to me, mate. :)

lol.... you are a trouble maker.... lol.. look at that response eh.. what makes you think i own anything i dont like?

your assumptions have made an ass of yourself yet again , mate :)

Didn't say you own anything you don't like. :)

yes you good man, you do with this bold aggressive statement " You're here to have the best, rarest collection (regardless of how good or awful some of those really rare discs are), "

:popcorn:

i don't think you'll ever get 'it' g

I said there are awful discs. I didn't say you hadn't convinced yourself to like these awful discs.

It's kind of come around to the original point of this thread. I personally think you rate CDs based on 1. how rare it is and then 2. how good the actual music is. I go straight to 2.

Having a CD that no one owns or has never heard is important to you, regardless of how good it is. I couldn't care less about that. If you're planning to deny this, think about the Fate demos before you post. ;)

I'll never get it? Mate, take a look at the last few posts. Most of us don't have the millions of dollars you have to spend on $500-a-pop silver pressed CDs. CDRs are the only way a lot of us can actually listen to these really rare bands. Are you really saying our appreciation of the actual music is less or inferior to yours, just because you have money to burn on the silver pressed version?

What exactly is 'it' that I don't get? :)

you can feel the sexual tension in the air between these two...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say... I too believe that many say a release is better then it really is if they own a silver pressed copy. I know people have different tastes and consider different things to be "good". I guess in some cases people need to covince themself about how good a CD is based on what they paid for it. I know if I spent $250 on a CD I'd do whatever it took to try and like the CD. In fact, some of the releases that are considered gems by many who own the CD actually suck in my opinion. Sure I'd like to have silver pressed CD of every artist I own... but I'm sure glad I'm not always obsessed with getting everything I wanted no matter what the cost only because it is silver pressed. I'd much rather get 15 or 20 releases by bands I like then buy 1 or 2 releases because they are "rare silver pressed CDs".

In fact, some of the stuff I like the best is in the form of demo tapes... I know that in today's world tapes are inferior in sound quality, but for me... It's all about the music.

Since the music is what matters to me... I'd much rather hear a review by someone who owned a CDR or cassette release over someone who spent some serious cash on a silver pressed CD.

I perfer as you all know silver pressed cds but I do have cdrs which are band released if a cd is silver I will at whatever cost buy it and put it in my collection but its not realy a collection when you have only cdrs as my saying goes all my cds iin my quantity quality all silver pressed cd collection wow that was a mouthful

Does owning the silver-pressed version of a rare CD honestly alter one's perception of it, or are these kids just constantly promoting the disc with the hope of selling for good coin one day?

Just a random tongue-in-cheek thread I was thinking about the other day in a Jillson discussion with Andre. And that disc is the perfect example. Generally, I think most people do agree it's a pretty ordinary CD, but there seems to be one thing in common with everyone who loves it - they all own a silver pressed copy of it! :lol:

So are you one of these folk? Do you admit to talking up certain CDs with the hope of selling it for good coin one day?

Me, I always prefer the opinion of someone with a CDR... generally more accurate. ;)

untill you own those coveted silver pressings mate........ just don't bother... you aren't able to comprehend :tumbsup:

Why not? I'd love to see a single valid reason why. The floor is yours...

mate, as i said you just aren't able to understand.... you are incapable. it's just you mate. its ok..you've got your modern nu breed rock. be happy. i am :beerbang:

So in other words, that's a no. You have no valid reason why having a silver pressed CD makes a difference at all when appreciating the actual music. That's the difference between you and me, my good man. I'm here for the love of the music (whether it be silver pressed, CDR, MP3, modern, glam, AOR, MHR, tape, LP etc.). I don't care how I get it and what tags it comes with, as long as the songs are good. You're here to have the best, rarest collection (regardless of how good or awful some of those really rare discs are), which is good - that's your thing. Nice for show and to brag about... But the music's far more important to me, mate. :)

lol.... you are a trouble maker.... lol.. look at that response eh.. what makes you think i own anything i dont like?

your assumptions have made an ass of yourself yet again , mate :)

Didn't say you own anything you don't like. :)

yes you good man, you do with this bold aggressive statement " You're here to have the best, rarest collection (regardless of how good or awful some of those really rare discs are), "

:popcorn:

i don't think you'll ever get 'it' g

I said there are awful discs. I didn't say you hadn't convinced yourself to like these awful discs.

It's kind of come around to the original point of this thread. I personally think you rate CDs based on 1. how rare it is and then 2. how good the actual music is. I go straight to 2.

Having a CD that no one owns or has never heard is important to you, regardless of how good it is. I couldn't care less about that. If you're planning to deny this, think about the Fate demos before you post. ;)

I'll never get it? Mate, take a look at the last few posts. Most of us don't have the millions of dollars you have to spend on $500-a-pop silver pressed CDs. CDRs are the only way a lot of us can actually listen to these really rare bands. Are you really saying our appreciation of the actual music is less or inferior to yours, just because you have money to burn on the silver pressed version?

What exactly is 'it' that I don't get? :)

ok I'll try & respond to everything possibly asked.. If I miss someting please let me know G.

I have no issues to owning upto anything but I will not & do not rate cds based on rareness over how good the music is. Music counts too for rockers like me :)

Sure, yes I have paid top dollar for cds that I didn't like the music of... You can ask quite a few HH members who would verify that & I quickly moved the CD on, sometimes I've lost money ( talk about consequences ) & other times I've been fortunate enugh to make a little extra :) It happens, for someone like me who does seem not to care in hearing the music beforehand on mp3 cdr.

The fate demos are on cdr format.... They afaik have never been on the actual silver pressed cd.

I am not the only one to own them here on HH let alone outside this site. owning music no one else knows means nothing to me as I'm always going around telling people about music etc...

I don't see nor do I feel supremacy over someone who has a cdr over my cd. Music is music.. after all.

People have stated they buy cds for quality.. show of support etc..amongst a few other things..

Then let me hear the freakin' Fate demos!!! :lol:

You're a good man, Andre. I honestly apologise if it seems I've been busting your balls... wasn't meant to come out that way at all. I guess I just sound a bit harsher as I know you and I - out of ALL the members here I know of - we probably have the most similar tastes of all, when it comes to melodic rock. Which is why I find it so hard why you write off some really good stuff for reasons I don't understand... or why you think having silver pressed CDs when I don't makes me not 'get' something. ;):)

Keep it silver my good man. :D

I have to say... I too believe that many say a release is better then it really is if they own a silver pressed copy. I know people have different tastes and consider different things to be "good". I guess in some cases people need to covince themself about how good a CD is based on what they paid for it. I know if I spent $250 on a CD I'd do whatever it took to try and like the CD. In fact, some of the releases that are considered gems by many who own the CD actually suck in my opinion. Sure I'd like to have silver pressed CD of every artist I own... but I'm sure glad I'm not always obsessed with getting everything I wanted no matter what the cost only because it is silver pressed. I'd much rather get 15 or 20 releases by bands I like then buy 1 or 2 releases because they are "rare silver pressed CDs".

In fact, some of the stuff I like the best is in the form of demo tapes... I know that in today's world tapes are inferior in sound quality, but for me... It's all about the music.

Since the music is what matters to me... I'd much rather hear a review by someone who owned a CDR or cassette release over someone who spent some serious cash on a silver pressed CD.

Nice work mate. Nice to see someone picking up what I'm putting down. :tumbsup::lol:

I thought I'd been a bit too mysterious in how I worded this thread... :(

Then let me hear the freakin' Fate demos!!! :lol:

You're a good man, Andre. I honestly apologise if it seems I've been busting your balls... wasn't meant to come out that way at all. I guess I just sound a bit harsher as I know you and I - out of ALL the members here I know of - we probably have the most similar tastes of all, when it comes to melodic rock. Which is why I find it so hard why you write off some really good stuff for reasons I don't understand... or why you think having silver pressed CDs when I don't makes me not 'get' something. ;):)

Keep it silver my good man. :D

someone once mentioned owning the actual silver pressed cd over a cdr / bootleg gave them a sense of pride... maybe that's it too... lol

i mean what do you when purchasing a cd over getting a cdr , mp 3... apart from the printed info... i guess you could be prety much assured the artist got paid..

owning cds from the current staple of melodic rock artists ala eclipse, brother firetribe, work of art is probably going to be as modern as i am ever going to get :lol:

all along, what i am trying to say without doing so is when you 'get' you don't ask...

• My Little Pony
...it's not really a collection when you have only CDRs...

This gets my vote as the most elitist statement of 2008.

Yes. Add it to the Best of 2008 Thread.

its not realy a collection when you have only cdrs

I disagree with you there James.

I believe (Different Strokes for Different Folks).

If a person only collects cdrs, then that's his collection. Your collection fits you (And Only You).

Some people collect both. I don't think anybody here made up the rules on c.d. collecting.

I count some boots, and none of my freebees (But Thats Me and only me).

This may be only my opinion, but I think it's a fare one :tumbsup:

If a person only collects cdrs, then that's his collection. Your collection fits you (And Only You).

Some people collect both. I don't think anybody here made up the rules on c.d. collecting.

Personally I consider myself a collector of music not CDs......that said I certainly prefer silver pressed CDs over cdrs or mp3s but the important part is always the music......but that is just me..... :tumbsup:

Personally I consider myself a collector of music not CDs......that said I certainly prefer silver pressed CDs over cdrs or mp3s but the important part is always the music......but that is just me..... :tumbsup:

I will bite and be in the minority, apparently and agree with James.

I have a ton of cdr's that sit in binders (and a bunch of mp-3's on my hardrive), never to be played, that have been traded and d/l'd. To me their has to be something invested to be collected and scouring the internet for websites with albums for d/l is not collecting, that's just killing time...

Flame away if you must, but that's my 2 cents.

I have a few CDR boots (live stuff) and vinyl rips that have never been released officially on CD - plus some CDR's bought from band websites (Face Dancer....strangely enough This World is in the car player now).

So I haven't got anything a such against CDR's I just prefer official/proper pressed CD's I guess.

I will bite and be in the minority, apparently and agree with James.

I have a ton of cdr's that sit in binders (and a bunch of mp-3's on my hardrive), never to be played, that have been traded and d/l'd. To me their has to be something invested to be collected and scouring the internet for websites with albums for d/l is not collecting, that's just killing time...

Flame away if you must, but that's my 2 cents.

I agree to a certain extent Terry. I have a mate who told me he had 5k in CD's. When he showed them to me, they were all CD-R's of stuff he had downloaded and cost him nothing. He collected them all up in about a year after just downloading loads of stuff everyday. Anyone can do that in my opinion and could have a massive music collection in no time at all and whilst I suppose it is a collection of music and he is happy with it, I certainly know what I prefer. Not trying to be eletist or anything, but I don't personally call that a collection.

I'm all for the real CD but in the meantime CD-R and MP3 will do, until I get my hands on the real thing. MP3 sucks IMO. I miss the day of vinyl, bringing it home and watch the excellent (mostly) artwork, something that is completely missing in the age of MP3. Collecting should be fun and exciting while downloading is lazyness and anticlimax all the way...

A real collection is based on the real CD, anything else pales in comparison. A vinyl collection is a whole different matter.

So yes I prefer the silver pressed CD. 100%. :banger:

I'm all for the real CD but in the meantime CD-R and MP3 will do, until I get my hands on the real thing. MP3 sucks IMO. I miss the day of vinyl, bringing it home and watch the excellent (mostly) artwork, something that is completely missing in the age of MP3. Collecting should be fun and exciting while downloading is lazyness and anticlimax all the way...

A real collection is based on the real CD, anything else pales in comparison. A vinyl collection is a whole different matter.

:agree: I don't feel like I really own something until I'm holding a CD booklet in my hand. Even when I purchase the download, it still doesn't feel as permanent to me.

As said before though, to each their own. :)

• My Little Pony

:agree: I don't feel like I really own something until I'm holding a CD booklet in my hand. Even when I purchase the download, it still doesn't feel as permanent to me.

Yessir. I'll download to get a feel for an artist, but I need to own a hard copy. I will never pay for mp3. I want a disc, a booklet, and a case.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I want a disc, a booklet, and a case.

..and a stick of gum.

I want a disc, a booklet, and a case.

..and a stick of gum.

Sugarless though, I'm trying to keep my girlish figure.... :bananamac:

:drink: Backed totally...

I have a mate who told me he had 5k in CDs. When he showed them to me, they were all CDRs of stuff he had downloaded......collected them all up in about a year after just downloading loads of stuff everyday. Anyone can do that in my opinion and could have a massive music collection in no time at all and whilst I suppose it is a collection of music ...I certainly know what I prefer. Not trying to be elitist or anything, but I don't personally call that a collection.

To clarify my position (since I originally made the "elitist" remark), I do not personally collect CDRs/MP3s/boots/etc. 99.5% of my collection is original, silver-pressed CDs. I think it goes without saying that for most of us here, originals are preferred. But those out there who don't care about originals and have oodles of CDRs still have a collection: a collection of music. No, it's not a collection of original CDs, but it's still a collection of music. Frankly, saying it's not a collection is sort of, well, retarded (no offense intended). Obviously it's not worth as much as a collection of originals nor as time-consuming to obtain, but lack of value and minimal accumulation time does not make it a non-collection. As Jez stated above (highlighted in bold), it's a collection of music. I still maintain that saying it is not a collection exhibits an elitist mentality. It's just different types of collections, that's all.