Silver pressed CD opinions

Geoff

• My Little Pony
I'm all for the real CD but in the meantime CD-R and MP3 will do, until I get my hands on the real thing. MP3 sucks IMO. I miss the day of vinyl, bringing it home and watch the excellent (mostly) artwork, something that is completely missing in the age of MP3. Collecting should be fun and exciting while downloading is lazyness and anticlimax all the way...

A real collection is based on the real CD, anything else pales in comparison. A vinyl collection is a whole different matter.

So yes I prefer the silver pressed CD. 100%. :banger:

:agree: I don't feel like I really own something until I'm holding a CD booklet in my hand. Even when I purchase the download, it still doesn't feel as permanent to me.

As said before though, to each their own. :)

I want a disc, a booklet, and a case.

..and a stick of gum.

Sugarless though, I'm trying to keep my girlish figure.... :bananamac:

Amen. It's the new year. Gotta have something going for ya this year.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a mate who told me he had 5k in CDs. When he showed them to me, they were all CDRs of stuff he had downloaded......collected them all up in about a year after just downloading loads of stuff everyday. Anyone can do that in my opinion and could have a massive music collection in no time at all and whilst I suppose it is a collection of music ...I certainly know what I prefer. Not trying to be elitist or anything, but I don't personally call that a collection.

To clarify my position (since I originally made the "elitist" remark), I do not personally collect CDRs/MP3s/boots/etc. 99.5% of my collection is original, silver-pressed CDs. I think it goes without saying that for most of us here, originals are preferred. But those out there who don't care about originals and have oodles of CDRs still have a collection: a collection of music. No, it's not a collection of original CDs, but it's still a collection of music. Frankly, saying it's not a collection is sort of, well, retarded (no offense intended). Obviously it's not worth as much as a collection of originals nor as time-consuming to obtain, but lack of value and minimal accumulation time does not make it a non-collection. As Jez stated above (highlighted in bold), it's a collection of music. I still maintain that saying it is not a collection exhibits an elitist mentality. It's just different types of collections, that's all.

Thank You M.M.! :tumbsup:

• My Little Pony
I have a mate who told me he had 5k in CDs. When he showed them to me, they were all CDRs of stuff he had downloaded......collected them all up in about a year after just downloading loads of stuff everyday. Anyone can do that in my opinion and could have a massive music collection in no time at all and whilst I suppose it is a collection of music ...I certainly know what I prefer. Not trying to be elitist or anything, but I don't personally call that a collection.

To clarify my position (since I originally made the "elitist" remark), I do not personally collect CDRs/MP3s/boots/etc. 99.5% of my collection is original, silver-pressed CDs. I think it goes without saying that for most of us here, originals are preferred. But those out there who don't care about originals and have oodles of CDRs still have a collection: a collection of music. No, it's not a collection of original CDs, but it's still a collection of music. Frankly, saying it's not a collection is sort of, well, retarded (no offense intended). Obviously it's not worth as much as a collection of originals nor as time-consuming to obtain, but lack of value and minimal accumulation time does not make it a non-collection. As Jez stated above (highlighted in bold), it's a collection of music. I still maintain that saying it is not a collection exhibits an elitist mentality. It's just different types of collections, that's all.

Yep. Well said. Now let's bury this thread 'cause all that's left is to go in circles.

Yep. Well said. Now let's bury this thread 'cause all that's left is to go in circles.

Threadkiller! <_<

• My Little Pony

Threadkiller! <_<

All that can be done now is post useless posts and stack up one's post count. This is my final post on this thread. Post.

Threadkiller! <_<

All that can be done now is post useless posts and stack up one's post count. This is my final post on this thread. Post.

... something about the thing that does stuff.... what?

Threadkiller! <_<

... something about the thing (message board) that does stuff (list posts and comments).... what?(Ta-dah!)

:whistle::)

Threadkiller! <_<

... something about the thing (message board) that does stuff (list posts and comments).... what?(Ta-dah!)

exactly

Threadkiller! <_<

exactly

Yes. Exactly.

(I'm just posting useless posts and stacking up my post count... :D )

Threadkiller! <_<

exactly

Yes. Exactly.

(I'm just posting useless posts and stacking up my post count... :D )

Thats not right.

its not realy a collection when you have only cdrs

I disagree with you there James.

I believe (Different Strokes for Different Folks).

If a person only collects cdrs, then that's his collection. Your collection fits you (And Only You).

Some people collect both. I don't think anybody here made up the rules on c.d. collecting.

I count some boots, and none of my freebees (But Thats Me and only me).

This may be only my opinion, but I think it's a fare one :tumbsup:

Personally I consider myself a collector of music not CDs......that said I certainly prefer silver pressed CDs over cdrs or mp3s but the important part is always the music......but that is just me..... :tumbsup:

Haha, how this thread turned! Surprised to see how people interpreted Mark's pretty simple statement. A collection of dried dog turds is still a collection. As is a collection of CDRs or original CDs. They're just different collections, but all collections just the same. :lol:

Either way, the above statement is all that is required. All I'm interested in is the actual music. Having a silver pressed copy is the number one ideal format for music I like, but as long as I get to hear it I can't really give a f*ck what format it is. :)

If a person only collects cdrs, then that's his collection. Your collection fits you (And Only You).

Some people collect both. I don't think anybody here made up the rules on c.d. collecting.

Personally I consider myself a collector of music not CDs......that said I certainly prefer silver pressed CDs over cdrs or mp3s but the important part is always the music......but that is just me..... :tumbsup:

Haha, how this thread turned! Surprised to see how people interpreted Mark's pretty simple statement. A collection of dried dog turds is still a collection. As is a collection of CDRs or original CDs. They're just different collections, but all collections just the same. :lol:

Either way, the above statement is all that is required. All I'm interested in is the actual music. Having a silver pressed copy is the number one ideal format for music I like, but as long as I get to hear it I can't really give a f*ck what format it is. :)

You know when I orginally listed my collection on this site I included a few cdrs and then realized it was pointless. So now the only thing I list is CDS and even though I listen to some stuff I have on cdrs or mp3s I don't really count them as part of my "collection", instead they just sit in the corner until I feel like digging some rare thing I slapped on a cdr out to play. I try to do my best if I like something I have on cdr to upgrade to the real deal. Of course this is next to impossible due to the fact that I'm not rich nor do I have any idea how to rob a bank and the fact that some of the stuff I have mp3s and cdrs are so rare there kind of next to impossible to find. That's my 18 cents. :tumbsup:

I have heaps of CDs and separately in folders I have a heap of CDRs. I really never label either as a "collection", but they both are, I guess. :) And the group of corpses in the garage, I guess that's a collection too.

You really have a way of cheapening passions