If I like Danger Danger...

Evil Rick

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Dogs = not a good album then?

And I'll check out Melodica, though the band name kind of scares me, sounds like a prog rock band.

And I'll check out Melodica, though the band name kind of scares me, sounds like a prog rock band.

I wasn't kidding :) Dogs is an awesome album with back production but they are demos. Disappearing Inc. is excellent with great production. I can't understand anyone not liking it if they like D2.

And for the 4,051 time...I still like X a lot! :lol:

I can't believe I forgot about these guys but what about Savannah? Both of their studio albums are very similar to the ST D2 album. And the vox are dead on! I absolutely love their first album!

I'll have to keep an eye out for them!

I'd be happy to send you a link. Absolutely awesome band!

Dont mention Bone Machine!!

Tc

Since Poley sings for Bone Machine they should be mentioned. That and the fact that it's a great band. The Dogs cd is right on par with Danger Danger.

I don't really hear any Danger Danger when I listen to Bone Machine. I also seem to remember Poley saying somewhere in an interview back then, that he specifically made Bone Machine to not sound like D2. Probably had something to do with the bad blood at the time. Of course, I could be wrong on that quote. I can't remember where it was I heard or read it.

I can't believe I forgot about these guys but what about Savannah? Both of their studio albums are very similar to the ST D2 album. And the vox are dead on! I absolutely love their first album!

I would really appreciate that. :drink:

I wasn't kidding :) Dogs is an awesome album with back production but they are demos. Disappearing Inc. is excellent with great production. I can't understand anyone not liking it if they like D2.

And for the 4,051 time...I still like X a lot! :lol:

Dogs has great songs but bad production but as Jarred said they're pretty much demos.

Dissapearing Inc. is awesome IMO with both great tunes and production.

As for X(if you were talking about Def Leppard) :puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

I agree. I have all three of their albums. I think I have an extra copy of Forever's Come and Gone :lol:

Tc

Since Poley sings for Bone Machine they should be mentioned. That and the fact that it's a great band. The Dogs cd is right on par with Danger Danger.

I don't really hear any Danger Danger when I listen to Bone Machine. I also seem to remember Poley saying somewhere in an interview back then, that he specifically made Bone Machine to not sound like D2. Probably had something to do with the bad blood at the time. Of course, I could be wrong on that quote. I can't remember where it was I heard or read it.

By hearing the voice you must hear some D2? Either way, I like it as much as D2 and wish they had put out more or at least polished the Dogs cd for better production.

In summary:

Savannah's debut is a great recommendation. Killer disc. Essential.

I agree with Pete's summary of Bone Machine. Some pure genius amidst some really bad fillers. But EASILY worth checking out for the sake of the good songs.

Melodica are good, but there are bits where it does all sound out of tune. Still, both albums are full of very strong songs and once again, well worth checking out. As a D2 fan I couldn't imagine being without any CD Ted's been on, because they're all decent to excellent. :)

Tc

By hearing the voice you must hear some D2? Either way, I like it as much as D2 and wish they had put out more or at least polished the Dogs cd for better production.

Ted Poley is after all the voice of Danger Danger

If you're looking for the majesty that was Danger Danger's debut album your search may come up empty. The only one that matches the absolute brilliance is Blue Tears in my opinion (as far as late '80's / early '90's stuff goes).

Ted's voice is unmistakable and impossible to match... that said, if you're looking for similar albums rather than similar vocals, check out the following bands whose compositions have the same fun-loving / summery-feel to them:

Brighton Rock - Young, Wild And Free

Da Vinci - S/T

Fate - A Matter Of Attitude

Flyweil - S/T

Fortune - S/T (One of the greatest AOR albums of all-time. This is the one with THRILL OF IT ALL)

Giuffria - Silk + Steel

Hardline - Double Eclipse

Honeymoon Suite - The Big Prize

Mr. Big - Lean Into It (This one never gets talked about any more?)

Malloy, Mitch - S/T

Network - Crashin' Hollywood

Dan Reed Network - S/T

Shooting Star - Silent Scream

Shy - Excess All Areas

Smilek - Sentimental Highway

Michael Stanley Band - Cabin Fever (If you haven't heard this late 70's gem you're missing out)

Survivor - Vital Signs (May seem too obvious, but you'd be surprised how many newcomers to AOR don't own this one)

Joe Lynn Turner - Rescue You

Tyketto - Don't Come Easy

Uriah Heep - Equator (This ain't your daddy's Uriah Heep!)

VU (The) - Phoenix Rising

Again, none of these SOUND like Ted Poley, but all of them have the same DD "summertime" feel to them, and get my highest recommendation!

If you're looking for the majesty that was Danger Danger's debut album your search may come up empty. The only one that matches the absolute brilliance is Blue Tears in my opinion (as far as late '80's / early '90's stuff goes).

Ted's voice is unmistakable and impossible to match... that said, if you're looking for similar albums rather than similar vocals, check out the following bands whose compositions have the same fun-loving / summery-feel to them:

Da Vinci - S/T

Flyweil - S/T

Fortune - S/T (One of the greatest AOR albums of all-time. This is the one with THRILL OF IT ALL)

Giuffria - Silk + Steel

Malloy, Mitch - S/T

Dan Reed Network - S/T

Shy - Excess All Areas

Michael Stanley Band - Cabin Fever (If you haven't heard this late 70's gem you're missing out)

Survivor - Vital Signs (May seem too obvious, but you'd be surprised how many newcomers to AOR don't own this one)

Again, none of these SOUND like Ted Poley, but all of them have the same DD "summertime" feel to them, and get my highest recommendation!

Excellent! Some of those listed I have, others I'll have to track down and give a good listen to. The Michael Stanley suggestion really raised and eyebrow and now I've got to hear it since I've only ever heard their live release (Backstage Pass I think it was called).

Da Vinci - S/T

Flyweil - S/T

Giuffria - Silk + Steel

Malloy, Mitch - S/T

Dan Reed Network - S/T

Shy - Excess All Areas

Have you heard the S/T Savannah album? Sounds dead on like Poley.

Have you heard the S/T Savannah album? Sounds dead on like Poley.

Not yet...Hopefully I can get to it today or tomorrow. Many thanks though! :tumbsup:

How could I forget JOHHNY LIMA? The S/T debut, SHINE ON and MADE IN CALFORNIA are all very good, and Johnny's voice is actually quite Poley-esque.

Johnny was too Bon Jovi......... to be D2 imho.

I love Johnny's debut & imho it's still his best.

Never been a fan of Johnny Lima. All his stuff is pretty okay, but I think his best work was with Attitude. Shame it was never properly released. :(

How could I forget JOHHNY LIMA? The S/T debut, SHINE ON and MADE IN CALFORNIA are all very good, and Johnny's voice is actually quite Poley-esque.

Never been a fan of Johnny Lima. All his stuff is pretty okay, but I think his best work was with Attitude. Shame it was never properly released. :(

absolutely & what bothers me is why he's holding back on it as he own the masters afaik.

A he can relkease it himself

B he can have any of stape aor labels release it

Johnny Lima is great, I've got a few of his cd's, but I'd peg him as a poor man's Bon Jovi in my book.

I did get a chance to listen to Intuition - Turn It On. WOW!!! Great album! I also gave a listen to Frontrunner - Up & Cummin, very good disc as well, but that Intuition cd really impressed the hell out of me.

Paul Laine was probably the most "Bon Jovi" singer I've ever heard, but he fitted quite fine!