Anybody out there still collecting vinyl?

rocktrade

Yes....on ocassion...depends what I come across in bargain bins and what condition it's in.

Also there's some great vinyl being (re)released at the moment and because it's no longer mass produced as such, the quality is tons better than it was. There's loads of effort going into the pressing and packaging these days - Muse Music in Hebden Bridge has loads of vinyl and I drool when I go in there.

Last vinyl I bought newly released was :-

Porcupine Tree - Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape (Yellow Vinyl)

No Man - Returning Jesus (Complete Sessions) triple vinyl

Toying with the idea of grabbing Godley and Creme's Consequences over the next few months on vinyl (second hand)...always wanted it as a "kid". You can get it on CD but the 3lp version has an accompanying book and I find when such a thing is on CD you need to read the reproduced booklets with a microscope. We'll see...might still plump for the CD.

• 1 month later...

ABSOLUTELY! But unless you have a "good" turntable with a "good" cartridge and know how to clean a record my opinion will mean little to you, but trust me, the sound from vinyl destroys 90% of the CD's out there.

CD mastering has become nothing short of a joke since about 1992 with volume level maximizing and digital compression squeezing the very life out of the best of recordings... with REMASTERS being the biggest culprits. Metallica's latest album may be the biggest mastering joke of all time.

I guess most people will just have to take my word for it... those with nice turntable set-ups know exactly what I mean. It's a lot of fun, and a whole other world!

ABSOLUTELY! But unless you have a "good" turntable with a "good" cartridge and know how to clean a record my opinion will mean little to you, but trust me, the sound from vinyl destroys 90% of the CD's out there.

CD mastering has become nothing short of a joke since about 1992 with volume level maximizing and digital compression squeezing the very life out of the best of recordings... with REMASTERS being the biggest culprits. Metallica's latest album may be the biggest mastering joke of all time.

I guess most people will just have to take my word for it... those with nice turntable set-ups know exactly what I mean. It's a lot of fun, and a whole other world!

yeah i agree, my vinyl sounds spacier than my CDs, it sounds more open and less like the band is squeezed into a small room together

No, I wouldn't call it collecting in my case. Every once and again I buy a LP, because it does not exist in CD format or the CD is too bloody expensive. The last LP's I bought are: Baxter Robertson - "Mere Mortals" and Glen Burtnick - "Talking in Code"

I still have my crate of vinyl stashed away in the closet but haven't bought (or played) any in quite some time... and since my living room stereo died recently, I don't have anything to play vinyl on even if I wanted to :crying:

I still have loads of vinyl upstairs in the loft. I have a few rare things that haven't yet been released on CD which I will always keep, but the rest I don't bother with anymore. A Shame after all the effort putting in to collecting it at the time.

Absolutely. I still buy the occasional album or single on vinyl.

• My Little Pony
I still have my crate of vinyl stashed away in the closet but haven't bought (or played) any in quite some time... and since my living room stereo died recently, I don't have anything to play vinyl on even if I wanted to :crying:

I thought we discussed this already. You were supposed to have replaced your old unit by now.

I thought we discussed this already. You were supposed to have replaced your old unit by now.

Exactly ! What the hell are you waiting for, Keef ?!?!

:tumbsup:

Have not purchased any for years but still have a few hundred of them in mint condition all with the plastic covers

Backed.....I've pretty much stopped buying REMASTERS these days apart from where it offers something previously unavailable (Kansas - Two for the Show is a prime example) or it's never been released on CD. I like the convenience of CD's and the fact that some of my vinyl crackles these days.

But case in point .. years ago when I bought the Spys 2 on 1 on CD I was disappointed with the sound, having said that I rarely play my vinyl of it anymore (although I haven't thrown it either). That's down to convenience at times ... and laziness on my part....plus the record player in the car skips when I go over a bump haha!

The fact is that laziness makes me accept a lesser quality of sound for the sake of convenience .... it's a trade off....and the whole convenience issue is the reason why I tend to buy CD's of stuff I already have on vinyl.

But it amazes a lot of people when they come around and do a comparison soundwise....I kick myself sometimes for some of the vinyl I have gotten rid of.

In fact my wifes friends daughter is heavily into music and is doing a course at University on sound engineering and associated things or summat...won't buy CD's she loves vinyl and always kind of drools when she comes here although most of it isn't her sort of stuff.

I'm running a Michell Gyrodec with an Ortofon MC15 Super II cartridge...not top end cartridge but very nice sound....It's been discontinued now so I'll have to test the market when I come to getting a new one.

Good topic this.

Er... how'bout some money to buy said "new unit" WITH!!!

• My Little Pony

Er... how'bout some money to buy said "new unit" WITH!!!

C'mon! Even guys who are broke have enough money to buy the essentials.

Backed.....I've pretty much stopped buying REMASTERS these days apart from where it offers something previously unavailable (Kansas - Two for the Show is a prime example) or it's never been released on CD. I like the convenience of CD's and the fact that some of my vinyl crackles these days.

But case in point .. years ago when I bought the Spys 2 on 1 on CD I was disappointed with the sound, having said that I rarely play my vinyl of it anymore (although I haven't thrown it either). That's down to convenience at times ... and laziness on my part....plus the record player in the car skips when I go over a bump haha!

The fact is that laziness makes me accept a lesser quality of sound for the sake of convenience .... it's a trade off....and the whole convenience issue is the reason why I tend to buy CD's of stuff I already have on vinyl.

But it amazes a lot of people when they come around and do a comparison soundwise....I kick myself sometimes for some of the vinyl I have gotten rid of.

In fact my wifes friends daughter is heavily into music and is doing a course at University on sound engineering and associated things or summat...won't buy CD's she loves vinyl and always kind of drools when she comes here although most of it isn't her sort of stuff.

I'm running a Michell Gyrodec with an Ortofon MC15 Super II cartridge...not top end cartridge but very nice sound....It's been discontinued now so I'll have to test the market when I come to getting a new one.

Good topic this.

Ohh you lucky lucky bastard :bowdown: I have to 'make do' with a Rega Planer II

Good topic this.

Ohh you lucky lucky bastard :bowdown: I have to 'make do' with a Rega Planer II

Rega is excellent kit mate...my tonearm is a Rega one!

• 1 month later...

of course i buy vinyl. the bad thing of it though is the fact that usually vinyls come after the cds and i don't know what titles would be released on vinyl and what not. it's painful to grab the cd just to find out that in 6 or maybe one year later(in some cases more and in some maybe never) a vinyl version of them appears. but alas, now with the boys here i can't buy both versions of the titles i want to get.

• 5 months later...