Nascar

66 mustang

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) - Greg Biffle set off a controversy Saturday, accusing Hendrick Motorsports of some shady business in testing.

Biffle is third in the season points, chasing Tony Stewart and Hendrick's Jimmie Johnson heading into Sunday's NASCAR Nextel Cup race at Texas Motor Speedway.

He said Johnson got around NASCAR's rules, which limit each team entry to seven private tests during the season. Biffle said Johnson tested a car with the No. 25 of teammate Brian Vickers displayed on it at a recent test at Phoenix, where the series heads next week.

"Johnson was driving the 25 car," Biffle said. "Does he race the 25 car? Why was he driving the 25 car?"

Johnson shrugged off Biffle's comments.

"We went out and did a test and everything was cleared with NASCAR and fine," Johnson said. "I was there filling in for the No. 25 team."

Biffle didn't think it was fair.

"I think what it is is a lack of people wanting to police it," Biffle said. "I watched (Johnson's crew chief) Chad Knaus on TV brag about (how) they saved all their tests for the Chase. It's not his test."

Biffle said his own Roush Racing entry abided by the rules.

"The 16 team tested as many times as NASCAR allowed us to test in the rule book," he said. "Under the conditions, the way we read the rules, we tested all of our tests and Phoenix was our last test."

Biffle insisted none of Roush's five Cup entries, all of them in the 10-man Chase for the championship, "phonied a number and changed the driver and got a different crew chief so that we could beat the rule to go test somewhere.

"All of our teams are out of tests. Could we go to Homestead and test the (No.) 71 car and then enter (Roush truck series driver) Todd Kluever in the thing? Yeah, but we're not going to play that game."

Johnson didn't like the way Biffle aired his displeasure.

"I find it interesting someone chooses to use the media to file a complaint instead of going into the truck and talking to NASCAR," Johnson said. "So, with that in mind, I think he's barking up the wrong tree and, if he has a problem, go to NASCAR and let them take care of it."

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said the Hendrick team did not break a rule, although it might have violated the spirit of the rule. He said NASCAR is working on a revamped testing policy that it hopes to be able to announce by the end of the year or early in 2006.

"We're addressing that (situation) in our new testing policy," Hunter added. "We just don't know where we're going to land with that, yet. In the past, we've tried to take into account the possibility of a driver being sick or injured or having a sponsor obligation, so we wanted to give them latitude to put another driver in the car.

"We're trying to address all the issues so, when we announce a new test policy, we can eliminate some of the loopholes and gray areas we've had in the past. But these teams are pretty shrewd and they'll find a way to make it work to their advantage within the rules."

Former NASCAR champ Labonte parts with Joe Gibbs

By JENNA FRYER, AP Motorsports Writer

November 7, 2005

AP - Nov 7, 1:08 pm EST

More Photos

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Former NASCAR champion Bobby Labonte and Joe Gibbs Racing said Monday they will part ways at the end of the season after 11 years together.

``This relationship has lasted a long time, and I hate that it has to end,'' Labonte said. ``Joe Gibbs and his family gave me the opportunity of a lifetime, and I want to thank them, and all the employees at JGR, for 11 years of hard work.

``I will always cherish the times at JGR. The only thing that I regret is that we didn't win more races and/or championships.''

Labonte joined JGR in 1995 and earned all 21 of his career victories in the No. 18 Chevrolet. He and Gibbs' won their first championship in 2000, and Labonte also won three of NASCAR's signature races -- the Coca-Cola 600 in Concord, N.C., the Southern 500 at Darlington, S.C., and the Brickyard 400 in Indianapolis.

``My dad and I have both enjoyed a great relationship with Bobby over the past 11 years,'' team president J.D. Gibbs said. ``Without his leadership and class, Joe Gibbs Racing would not be what it is today.''

But Labonte's career has stalled since he won his title while teammate Tony Stewart's has taken off. Stewart won the 2002 championship and leads this season's Nextel Cup points race with two events remaining.

ADVERTISEMENT

Labonte, meanwhile, is 25th in the standings and has not won a race since the 2003 season finale. He has just six top-10 finishes this year and has come close to winning only once, when he lost a door-to-door battle with Jimmie Johnson on the final lap of the Coca-Cola 600.

Gibbs, the Washington Redskins' coach, has not chosen a replacement for Labonte. Either way, it means Stewart will go into next season with two new teammates. Bush Series driver Denny Hamlin was hired Sunday to drive the No. 11 Chevrolet after successfully taking over the car following Jason Leffler's midseason firing.

``Tony Stewart has been a great teammate and friend for the past several years and is one of the best drivers that has come along in a long time,'' Labonte said. ``I wish him continued success and will always cherish our friendship.''

Labonte did not say which team he would join next year, but he's been mentioned to be under consideration for several rides -- including the No. 43 Dodge at Petty Enterprises.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

new 2006 season

Johnson's qualifying run disqualified MORE Burton and Gordon cars also being looked at: on Speed Channel's Victory Lane show, Bob Dilner reported that #48-Jimmie Johnson's Daytona 500 qualifying run has been disqualified due to an illegal traction control adjuster on the right rear of the car. Johnson had qualified 5th on Sunday with a speed of 188.762mph and the rear tires were rubbing and smoking during his run. So Johnson will not have his speed to fall back on if he has a bad run in the Gatorade Duel race on Thursday, but since he is in the top-35 2005 owners points, he is guaranteed a spot in the Daytona 500. Could be a fine and/or points penalty coming.

AND Jimmie Johnson qualified 5th on Sunday in Daytona 500 time trial runs. He has been disqualified. Johnson had an illegal off-set track bar adjuster in the right rear of that car. If you remember during his time trial run, the #48 was smoking out on the racetrack in the left rear. With this illegal adjuster, it boosted up the back glass and actually made the left rear rub a little bit so that time has been disallowed by NASCAR. There are a bunch of other issues in the garage area. In fact, some issues with the #31 team of Jeff Burton. That's right. Your Daytona 500 polesitter. Those issues have to do with the engine, and that's being hotly discussed in the garage area right now. In the media center after the Budweiser Shootout, NASCAR said it is researching several things from post-500 qualifying tech, including Burton's car as well as the #24 car of Jeff Gordon.(FoxSports), see qualifying results on my Daytona 500 Qualifying/Grid page.(2-12-2006)

UPDATE

UPDATE 3 - Suspension?: #48 Crew chief Chad Knaus faces possible suspension for altering the height of the rear window in driver Jimmie Johnson's car before Sunday's qualifying for the Daytona 500. The biggest penalty could come as early as Monday against Knaus, according to a NASCAR source. According to the source, an instrument was placed inside the car that raised the rear window after it went through pre-qualifying inspection to provide an aerodynamic advantage. The height difference was discovered during a post-qualifying inspection and considered a flagrant attempt to gain a competitive advantage.(NASCAR.com)(2-12-2006)

If anyone other that Gordon, Stewart, or Dale Jr. takes the checkered flag, I'll be surprised...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
5538766_7_2.gif

Jr to honor father with black #8

That's cool. (But, when I first saw that picture, I couldn't help but think it was also a little bit spooky. You know, seeing that again after 5 years. Probably just me, though.)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this isn't the right place to do it, but, I was just wondering if anyone was going to make a fantasy NASCAR league this year? I'm thinking I might like to join in.