Nascar

66 mustang

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sauter DQ'd from Busch race

By Jerry Bonkowski, Yahoo! SportsSauter's not celebrating now. (AP)

FORT WORTH, Texas – You would think after Kevin Harvick crew chief Todd Berrier was caught and heavily penalized for cheating last month that other NASCAR teams would have learned a lesson.

You would have thought wrong.

NASCAR took the rare step Sunday of completely disqualifying a car, as Johnny Sauter's 14th-place finish in Saturday's O'Reilly 300 Busch Series race at Texas Motor Speedway was wiped off the books because of an illegal carburetor in his No. 1 Dodge.

"This is very serious, falling in the category of blatant cheating," NASCAR vice president of communications Jim Hunter said prior to Sunday's Samsung Radio Shack 500 Nextel Cup race. "This was obviously illegal."

ADVERTISEMENT

The sanctioning body is expected to level additional penalties in the next few days, with crew chief Joe Shear Jr. the likely target. Team owner James Finch and Sauter himself also could also be penalized. Potential penalties include heavy fines and lengthy suspensions.

"The crew chief is responsible for the car," Hunter said. "It's his responsibility."

Sauter's car was found to have such an oversized carburetor that it was even larger than those found on Nextel Cup cars.

"This was big, a big carb," Hunter said with emphasis. "It was big by any standards."

Further embellishing the infraction was that NASCAR officials believe the car was tampered with after it was impounded following Busch Series qualifying on Thursday. The offending carburetor carried the seal that is typically attached to all cars when they are impounded.

"The car was inspected Thursday before qualifying, passed and was sealed," Hunter said. "We're trying to figure out how [the replacement carburetor] got on there sealed."

According to impound rules, no work can be performed on a car from after its qualifying run until prerace preparations on race day. Major mechanical changes, including replacing a carburetor, are not allowed under impound guidelines.

"Our belief is that one of the possibilities was the carburetor was switched after inspection," Hunter said.

Hunter said NASCAR officials were not tipped off. Rather, Sauter's car was randomly selected for postrace inspection, at which time the violation was uncovered.

NASCAR confiscated both the offending carburetor as well as the motor in Sauter's car.

While Hunter said it's possible for a seal to be tampered with, he discounted the possibility that carburetor may have been surreptitiously replaced by a member of an opposing team.

"If I'm the crew chief, for somebody to change something on my race car I'm responsible for, it would be extremely hard for me to believe I wouldn't know it," Hunter said.

Hunter said several high-level NASCAR officials were involved in Saturday's postrace investigation, including president Mike Helton, vice president of competition Robin Pemberton, Nextel Cup director John Darby and Busch Series director Joe Balash.

"They interviewed for four hours trying to get to the bottom of this and sort it all out," Hunter said.

But when those officials questioned several members of the No. 1 team, they were met with the same response.

"They didn't know how [the carburetor] got there," Hunter said.

As a result, NASCAR is attempting to retrace steps made both by the team and sanctioning body officials from the time the car first went through inspection until the infraction was discovered.

"We're looking at everything," Hunter said. "We won't be satisfied until we have a very clear understanding of how this happened."

Sauter will lose the 121 points he earned in the race, and all other teams that finished behind him will be moved up one place in the final standings. Sauter's $26,790 earnings will also be dispersed among the other 42 teams that were entered in the race.

"It's just like the No. 1 car didn't race, no points, no money," Hunter said. "It's a total disqualification."

yes they do but too many big name sponsors and a ton of money will make that hard to do. They need to set it in black and white and follow through. you get caught ceating, you are erased from the book's for that race. if you won , so be it. Second place takes the win.

yes they do but too many big name sponsors and a ton of money will make that hard to do. They need to set it in black and white and follow through. you get caught ceating, you are erased from the book's for that race. if you won ,  so be it. Second place takes the win.

I have to agree! By the way nice call on the win.

I see how this works..... Hendrick and Roush are going to flip-flop wins all season long. Last week it was Hendrick and now this week it's Roush.

Take a look at the year so far:

1. Daytona 500 winner - Hendrick

2. California winner - Roush

3. Las Vagas winner - Hendrick

4. Atlanta winner - Roush

5. Bristol winner - RCR <---(exception to the rule)

6. Martinsville winner - Hendrick

7. Texas winner - Roush

Hey! But at least Rusty Wallace is now 3rd in points!!!! :pickle:

yes they do but too many big name sponsors and a ton of money will make that hard to do. They need to set it in black and white and follow through. you get caught ceating, you are erased from the book's for that race. if you won ,  so be it. Second place takes the win.

I have to agree! By the way nice call on the win.

Thank's.

Biffle could easly have won 4 races this year. The guy is hot, that's for sure

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sprint-Nextel combo to use Sprint as lead brand name

By Associated Press

June 23, 2005

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Sprint Corp. and Nextel Communications Inc. said Thursday that Sprint will remain the lead brand name following their proposed merger.

The companies said Nextel, which enjoys intense loyalty among its business customers, will remain a "key product brand."

Nextel also said its sponsorship of NASCAR's Nextel Cup Series will remain in place through the end of the year and officials will decide on a new branding strategy before the opening race of the 2006 season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Shareholders are scheduled to vote July 13 on the $35 billion merger, with the deal expected to close in the third quarter.

Sprint will hold its annual meeting in Overland Park, while Nextel shareholders will meet in Reston, Va.

Officials said the choice of Sprint as the lead name followed discussions with marketing and name recognition research firms, employees and customers.

"The companies are in the enviable position of possessing two incredibly valuable brands with overwhelming positive and powerful equity in the marketplace," said Mark Schweitzer, Nextel's senior vice president of marketing, in a statement.

Schweitzer will serve as chief marketing officer for the merged company. "Our brand strategy and logo will integrate the most valuable assets of each company's identity."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've always been a Mark Martin fan. I'm glad to see he's postponed retirement for another year. I met him back in 1996 at the race in Loudon. Really nice guy.

Glad to see Rusty retiring...never liked him.

Tony Stewart...now there's a name...lol!!! I used to really like him. Then I kinda noticed nothing was ever his fault. It was always the other guy. He's still a great racer...don't get me wrong, but I got sick of his whining.

Any of you guys collect the diecast cars? the two in my collection that are probably worth the most are:

Action 1/24 scale #18 Bobby Labonte 'The Grinch'

Action 1/24 scale #3 Dale Earnhardt 'Peter Max'

Glad to see other Nascar fans here.

My favorite driver? Bobby Labonte.

See you at Martinsville!!!!