Nascar

66 mustang

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine went to Vagas for the race this weekend, and he called me lastnight and asked me who I thought was going to win todays race. He said he was going to put money down on whoever I said.

Well..... B) ..... I told him lastnight that I thought Jimmy Johnson was going to win, so I hope he put the money down. He told me that Johnson was 7/1 odds and he was going to put $10 down for him and another $10 for me.

:tumbsup:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- NASCAR on Tuesday suspended the crew chiefs for Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch and Kevin Harvick in a swift crackdown on cheating committed at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

Todd Berrier was suspended for four weeks and fined $25,000 for rigging Harvick's fuel tank to appear full when it actually wasn't during qualifying.

Chad Knaus was suspended for two weeks and fined $35,000 when Johnson's race-winning car failed to meet the minimum height requirement in Sunday's post-race inspection.

Alan Gustafson was suspended two weeks and fined $25,000 because Busch's runner-up car was too high in the post-race inspection.

``Guys have just got to stop playing games with the rules,'' NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter told The Associated Press. ``We've got to do whatever we have to do to protect the integrity of this sport.''

In addition to the suspensions, the drivers were also docked 25 points. Rick Hendrick, the car owner for Johnson and Busch, was docked 50 points -- 25 for each infraction. Richard Childress, the car owner for Harvick, was docked 25 points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hendrick responded quickly, saying he plans to appeal the penalties against him and his team.

``I'm not disputing NASCAR's right to levy sanctions,'' Hendrick said in a statement. ``As a team owner, I understand why these standards are in place and have always taken pride in the fact that our organization has kept a very clean record.

``In this particular instance, though, we disagree with the severity of NASCAR's stance and plan to appeal their decision. I want to make it clear that we in no way intentionally ignored guidelines and I'm certain everyone understands that.''

The penalty cost Johnson the series points lead, which he earned following his victory Sunday in Las Vegas. NASCAR allowed his victory to stand, but instead of a 15-point advantage over Kurt Busch, Johnson is now in second place in the standings, 10 points back.

Berrier's suspension was severe because he admitted to intentionally rigging the 22-gallon tank to appear full when it had just five gallons of gas in it -- thereby allowing the car to go faster. The team was caught because Harvick qualified fourth. If he had been outside of the top five, his car might not have been checked over following his run.

And if NASCAR officials weren't already angry, they likely hit the roof when Berrier showed little remorse after getting caught.

``If I had to do it again, I'd still play it to try to get away with it, because I know how I got caught,'' Berrier told NASCAR.com.

None of the crew chiefs were immediately available for comment. But earlier Tuesday, Johnson insisted his team's error was unintentional and blamed the car's shift in height on a bolt that had become loose over the 400-mile race.

``I have 100 percent trust and confidence in Chad that he is going to do everything within the rules,'' Johnson said.

Hunter said intent was not a factor in NASCAR levying the suspensions.

``NASCAR doesn't feel it is fair to the teams who do meet all of the post-race requirements to continue to have people who are pushing it to the limit and then through miscalculations or whatever on their part, fail inspection,'' Hunter said. ``These rules are black and white and we bend over backward if a car has been in a wreck, been hit, to give them the benefit of the doubt.

``This is just unacceptable. So maybe the crew chiefs being at home will help remedy this issue.''

None of the suspended crew chiefs will be permitted to communicate with their race teams via cell phone or radio during the time they are suspended, Hunter said.

REMEMBER LAST YEAR, JR GOT DOCKED 25 POINTS FOR CURSING AFTER THE RACE HAD ENDED. THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A FINE AND NO POINTS BECAUSE IT WASN'T A RACING INCIDENT.

``I'm not disputing NASCAR's right to levy sanctions,'' Hendrick said in a statement. ``As a team owner, I understand why these standards are in place and have always taken pride in the fact that our organization has kept a very clean record.

``In this particular instance, though, we disagree with the severity of NASCAR's stance and plan to appeal their decision. I want to make it clear that we in no way intentionally ignored guidelines and I'm certain everyone understands that.''

IF YOU ARE GOIGN TO GET DOCKED FOR SOMETHING NON-RACE RELATED YOU CAN BET THAT THIS WILL STAND AND MAYBE NEXT TIME WILL INCREASE TO 50 POINTS.

Forget the appeal, Rick. Just take the penalties and go forward. Be like Richard Childress, team owner of Harvick's car, and quietly accept your punishment

It doesn't look good for Tony.

25 laps to go and then I'm leaving to go see Black Label Society. I think Jimmy is gonna do it again this weekend. I believe he's going to win the championship this year.

Jeff Gordon had another DNF this week. That's two in the first four races. Things aren't looking good for him either. :(

GO JIMMY JOHNSON!! :headbanger:

Anybody but Roush! :2up:

Nice job Carl Edwards!

I don't care for Roush, but Carl is pretty cool!  :tumbsup:

he's from my neck of the woods. Way to go and pass Johnson. He's going to be good.

I don't like Roush either, but this kid seems like a good guy.

Nice job Carl Edwards!

I don't care for Roush, but Carl is pretty cool!  :tumbsup:

he's from my neck of the woods. Way to go and pass Johnson. He's going to be good.

I don't like Roush either, but this kid seems like a good guy.

I don't know guys, I have a lot of respect for Roush Racing. I've never had a problem with them.

nascar lifted the two-race suspensions handed to crew chiefs Chad Knaus and Alan Gustafson

NASCAR has no backbone again.

That does suck. Just when I thought they were getting toughter and taking away wins was next they go and chicken out.

gallery_16.jpg

What a finish. :nascar:

"An appeals committee on Wednesday lifted the suspensions of the crew chiefs for Jimmie Johnson and Kyle Busch, who were both accused of cheating following a race in Las Vegas."

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time ever that NASCAR has lifted a suspension?

Besides, it doesn't matter if Chad Knaus is at the race track or not, Jimmy Johnson still kicks everbodies ass week in and week out. They are going to win this years championship.

Aw Hell...

I just came accross this Nascar thread...I had no idea that many of you are Nascar fans too. I myself cheer for #17 Matt Kenseth. I predicted he would be rookie of the year when he first came out and he was. Then I predicted he would win a championship and he did. I think Kyle Busch has the same fire in him to do the same thing. I guess we will have to wait to see if my predictions are right????

Being from Canada I really hope they bring a race up our way in the great white north like all the rumours I have been hearing.

Let's hear from my fellow Canuks on this topic????

:drag::nascar:

Rusty Wallace - by the numbers.

Russell William Wallace Jr.'s NASCAR debut was just that -- a warning that the redhead from Arnold, Mo., was on the horizon, a gathering storm that took three years to pass before everyone realized he was the real deal.

Wallace qualified seventh for the Atlanta 500 on March 16, 1980. By the end of the day, future rival Dale Earnhardt was the only thing between Wallace and victory in his first Cup race. Driving for Roger Penske, Wallace finished second that day, sandwiched between Earnhardt and Wallace's hero, Bobby Allison, the only three cars on the lead lap.

wallace.193.jpg

Fifty-five victories later, Wallace's "Last Call" tour is under way. While he ranks eighth on the all-time wins list.

My pick this week at Texas--------Greg Biffle (spelling sucks i know).

did you see that Johnny Souter has been striped of anything he got from yesterday's bush race. money, points, finishing position. It is like he didn't run at all. Now if they start to do it in Nextel they will grow a "set".

by the way. anyone else getting annoyed with Nextel Racing? I meam what is up with this crap they like to call "sexiest driver" brackets? come on guys, that aint racing. And what happend to rubbin is racin'? If you want to cheat with illegal parts and get caught take your punishment but if you are racing hard and spin someone don't be a baby about it. If it is retaliation that may be different but if it is just racing...........I mean Jeff Gordan pretty much spun out Bush last week but that was racing wasn't it?