Def Leppard and Taylor Swift

Fat Freddy

Just saw this on Blabbermouth... man, this is a combo that I never would've imagined in a million years :blink:

DEF LEPPARD To Team Up With 18-Year-Old Country Singer For 'CMT Crossroads' - July 1, 2008

Great Britain's premiere arena rock band and one of country music's hottest stars will come together for another episode of "CMT Crossroads". "CMT Crossroads: Def Leppard And Taylor Swift" premieres Friday, Nov. 8 on CMT.

Before an invitation-only audience in Nashville in October, Swift will join her all-time favorite rock band on stage for a night that is sure to be a memorable one for the young star.

"Every time I've seen 'Crossroads' on CMT I've always thought, 'If I ever get to do one of those, it HAS to be with DEF LEPPARD!,' so this is really a dream come true for me," says Swift. "I have been screaming the words to DEF LEPPARD songs for years so it's amazing that I'm going to get to share a stage with them this year!"

"How cool is this?! Country's hottest young star wanting to work with us!!" says DEF LEPPARD's Joe Elliott.

DEF LEPPARD and Taylor Swift join an elite group of performers who have taped "CMT Crossroads", which pairs country music stars with popular artists from other genrespop, rock, R&B to play together, swap stories, and share their common love of music. Previous episodes of "Crossroads" have included Lindsey Buckingham and LITTLE BIG TOWN; BON JOVI and SUGARLAND; John Fogerty and Keith Urban; Kelly Clarkson and Reba McEntire; Joss Stone and LeAnne Rimes; Robert Plant and Alison Krauss; and most recently MAROON 5 and Sara Evans.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a Few Bands I'd like to see appear together on this show..

Deicide/Loretta Lynn

Slayer/George Jones

The Dead Kennedys/Confederate Railroad

Overkill/Garth Brooks

Cradle Of Filth/Rascal Flats

Overkill/Garth Brooks

:rofl2: I just got a mental picture of Bobby Blitz in a ten gallon hat screeching out "When the Thunder Rolls" :rofl:

Overkill/Garth Brooks

:rofl2: I just got a mental picture of Bobby Blitz in a ten gallon hat screeching out "When the Thunder Rolls" :rofl:

:rofl2: I never thought of that....

Slayer/George Jones

I see George Jones singing "Angel Of Death" country style..

It makes me adore her even more!!!! :banger:

It makes me adore her even more!!!! :banger:

Yea, she's a cutie all right.

17380.jpg

Wait a sec... she *is* over 18 now, right?? So it's OK to say that without sounding like a creepy old guy?? :unsure:

And Keith - she may be 18 but you're still a "creepy old guy" :D

Guilty as charged... but as long as they're of legal age it makes it slightly less creepy. :P

I thunked fer sher that it woulda bin Tim Maggraw n' Dif Lipperd efter that thar duet on Nine Lives :whistle:

I thunked fer sher that it woulda bin Tim Maggraw n' Dif Lipperd efter that thar duet on Nine Lives :whistle:

I agree that would of made more sense.

Either way it's a good way for the Leps to sell more albums.

Does anyone get the hypocrite feeling in their bones when they see Def Lep doing this show and then calling the sunset strip bands non-talent? I forget what term they used for the bands from L.A. but it was not flattering. Yet they do this show and dive into country music?

I have lost alot of respect for this band. Quit trying to be current and relish your roots and your peers.

I don't read into this kind of shit too much, but I really can't understand what their and Bon Jovi's fascination with f*cking country music is. If they love the shit that much, do a side project... but why they're bringing that influence into Bon Jovi and Def Leppard is just a mystery to me. A mystery that pisses me off.

What does it matter if any rock bands work with country artists or adapt country influences?

Country and rock have crossed over for years with Southern rock bands like Skynyrd, Blackfoot and Raging Slab etc, wo whats the big deal?

Its no different to Aerosmith or Anthrax working with rap bands.

As long as they dont turn their back 100% on their roots like Lee Aaron did, and still produce good music, then why complain?

As long as they dont turn their back 100% on their roots like Lee Aaron did, and still produce good music, then why complain?

Well, so far Bon Jovi & Def Leppard's attempts have failed miserably.

What does it matter if any rock bands work with country artists or adapt country influences?

Country and rock have crossed over for years with Southern rock bands like Skynyrd, Blackfoot and Raging Slab etc, wo whats the big deal?

Its no different to Aerosmith or Anthrax working with rap bands.

What's the problem with it? Every band you mentioned there (imo) sucks is the problem. :P

Bon Jovi and Def Leppard were great bands. Those bands can suck all they want and I'll continue to avoid them like hell (I HATE Southern Rock and have gone out of my way not to hear it). I don't want to have to avoid bands I like.

There are many people out there who love both Jovi and Skynyrd, or both Blackfoot and Leppard, so some people wont be so put off by this sort of crossover.

I really dont see what the fuss is about anyway.

Leppard have just released their new album, and this is just a one off tv show, so its not like you are necessarily gonna get a country album out of them.

im guessing no-one likes Lonestar then huh?

i think this is cool, and im not just saying that cause of the Bon Jovi-Country debate

it shows that these guys are musicians rather than plain rockstars....anyone can play pentatonic licks over 1-3-5-6 progressions, i like to see bands diversify...

the new Leppard album, and even the last Bon Jovi album, still have good rock songs on them, but with an outside flavour..

if you guys think theyre doing it for money, or to stay famous with the hip new country kids then so be it....i think they got bored with rock and want to add a little something new into the mix, when country is all over the airwaves then it makes sense to do that more than anything else...

i cant imagine playing the same thing for 25+ years, can you imagine how boring it would get? and they have to play songs like Animal and Pour Some Sugar On Me EVERY NIGHT on tour!! i cant blame these rock musicians that work with outside styles, i used to be a huge metalhead wih my Slipknot, Machine Head, Stone Sour, Throwdown, Pantera, Lamb of God etc but i got bored after less than a year...

as a musician myself im always pushing myself to learn more, so i can understand these guys 100%

let me start out by saying I really like Taylor Swift a lot. I think her album is fantastic. With that said I kind of dread seeing her do this. Everytime I've seen her live on tv she sounds like her nerves have gotten the best of her and her voice is shakey, very shakey. I can imagine her on stage with the Leps singing songs that are not her's and how shakey her voice could get.

let me start out by saying I really like Taylor Swift a lot. I think her album is fantastic. With that said I kind of dread seeing her do this. Everytime I've seen her live on tv she sounds like her nerves have gotten the best of her and her voice is shakey, very shakey. I can imagine her on stage with the Leps singing songs that are not her's and how shakey her voice could get.

Very true. I've seen her perform live on a couple of awards shows and her voice is nowhere near as strong as it is on record. I wonder how much of her sound is "studio magic"

I wonder how much of her sound is "studio magic"

All of it. :lol:

There are many people out there who love both Jovi and Skynyrd, or both Blackfoot and Leppard, so some people wont be so put off by this sort of crossover.

I really dont see what the fuss is about anyway.

Leppard have just released their new album, and this is just a one off tv show, so its not like you are necessarily gonna get a country album out of them.

Fair enough, mate, but there are a lot of people who like Bon Jovi and hate Skynard and love Def Leppard and hate Blackfoot... I'm one of them. :) I would HATE to see the two combined.

And yeah, I agree that nothing so far about Def Lep is country, but there are a few signs they have interest in it and it scares me for the future of the band.

Very true. I've seen her perform live on a couple of awards shows and her voice is nowhere near as strong as it is on record. I wonder how much of her sound is "studio magic"

Awards shows.....yeah, that's where you can really tell if they're good live!! LOL

Seriously though....I've seen those same shows....AND...some other live stuff and she was a bit 'hit and miss' live. It seems she has her most problems when she's active on stage. She's a young girl.....so she's not quite a seasoned touring vet yet.....LOL...

As for 'studio magic'....I truly have no clue....but the simple fact that the girl WROTE all of her own songs is monumental in my book. Oh....and I don't know many singers who don't use a litte 'studio magic' every now and again.....

So....in short....quit pickin' on my GIRLFRIEND!!!!! LOL

Oh...so as to not stray from the orignal topic....

It doesn't surprise me about Def Leppard......and it doesn't 'scare' me, etc. It truly seems that they have been...for the last 10 years or so trying to mimic Bon Jovi a bit...as far as those things are concerned. And mixing it up with the Country crowd follows suit.....

I, for one...will watch the show and see what it's all about though.

As for 'studio magic'....I truly have no clue....but the simple fact that the girl WROTE all of her own songs is monumental in my book. Oh....and I don't know many singers who don't use a litte 'studio magic' every now and again.....

It doesn't surprise me about Def Leppard......and it doesn't 'scare' me, etc. It truly seems that they have been...for the last 10 years or so trying to mimic Bon Jovi a bit...as far as those things are concerned. And mixing it up with the Country crowd follows suit.....

I didn't know she wrote all of her songs. Big respect for that since you dont see that to often in Nashville. :tumbsup:

As for the Leps trying to mimic Jovi I couldn't agree more. :tumbsup: