Pretty Boy Floyd

lovetoy

I do...in fact I was just downloading them into my iTunes library last night. *THAT has been a labor of love!! LOL*

If you like PBF, I suggest getting the Shameless CD's......all three sound just like PBF....because Steve Summers sings on all of them!

Yeah, Love 'em!! I've got the US version, the US remastered version and the Japanese import of Leather Boyz... I freakin' love that cd, easily one of my favorites.

'Leather boyz' is one of my all-time favourite albums. One of the most played in my collection, too. I used to spin this every day for a few years - essential glam rock. Everytime I hear it I still fall in love all over again. Timeless stuff.

And Jim, there's actually 4 Shameless CDs. The last one had a pretty quiet release. I don't love 'Backstreet anthems', but the other 3 are fantastic, especially 'Queen 4 a day'.

Definitely a quintessential glam-metal album. Love that last song, "I Wanna be With you." Still think they could've come up with a better band name though...

I was listening to Shameless' 'Famous for madness' disc on the weekend and I have two words for everyone who posted in this thread - OWN IT!

I used to like PBF quite a bit, but somehow over the years my liking for them has waned. I love sleaze glam ala Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx, but pure polished glam like PBF just doesn't do it for me any more.

Chris

Definitely a quintessential glam-metal album. Love that last song, "I Wanna be With you." Still think they could've come up with a better band name though...

Named after a pretty notorious american gangster, so its a bit tongue in cheek with the image and his persona.

• 1 year later...

Just reading the review for PBF Leather Boyz over at allmusic.com. Looks like someone didn't like this album much... :lol:

A lot of inspired hard rock came out of the 1980s, but that decade also produced a glut of faceless "clone bands" that hadn't even a trace of originality. One of the most glaring and shameless examples was Pretty Boy Floyd, a so-called "glam-metal" unit known for its androgynous look and ultra-heavy makeup. Derivative of bands like Bon Jovi, Ratt and Quiet Riot but never even a fraction as exciting, Pretty Boy Floyd earned a following in the late '80s offering commercial hard rock at its most generic. From "Rock and Roll Outlaws" to "Only the Young" and "Wild Angels," everything on the cliché-ridden Leather Boyz with Electric Toyz smacks of formula and sounds like the result of a marketing meeting rather than genuine artistic inspiration. This is definitely a CD to avoid.

They dont even know what they are talking about if the closest comparisons they can come up with are Jovi, Quiet Riot and Ratt.

PBF's obvious main influence was Motley Crue.

Steves voice followed a similar style of Vinces and they even went as far as including a cover of the then long unavailable, Toast of the town.

I still love PBF to this day, including the newer stuff like Size really does matter, and have seen them at least 3 or 4 times now.

I really dont care how their musical style and image wasnt exactly original, or that they came along too late, that debut album for me is quite possibly one of the best examples of the genre, with not a bad song on that album.

If it had been released a few years earlier, every single song on it could easily have been a hit rock single.

LBWET is without a doubt one of my favourite albums of all time, and I have two other friends that I did copies of (on cassette) back in the day, who both wore them out.

Oh, and just on the back of the QR comparison, of course the song Slam Dunk, which was on the Jap issue and the Perris re-issue, was written by Kevin DuBrow, and later recorded by QR.

Quite frankly it just didnt suit the QR sound in my opinion, but was at least equal to the songs that were on the standard version of LBWET.

Yep, I agree with Howdy. This is an album that has stood the test of time with ease. Killer disc. And thanks for clearing up how the f*ck they got the QR comparison 'cause I was all out of ideas on that one. :lol:

That reviewer, I'm guessing, probably heard about 5 "hair metal" CDs in his life, I reckon.

Never cared for this band. Even back in the day (I was into bands like ROXXI, BEAU NASTY, XYZ, BABYLON A.D., COLD SWEAT during the 80s hair band boom), but never cared for this band or VAIN or even VAMP for that matter. I did like a few weird bands such as ASPHALT BALLET, and T-RIDE. Go figure lol.

Now im off to crank SLIK TOXIK. The song "Sweet Asylum" has been kickin my ass for 15 fuckin years!!!!

Its funny I worked for Trans World Music Corp (owners of Coconuts, FYE etc previously Record Town/Tape world) when I was a teenager just so I could discover all the obscure hair bands even then. I remember stumbling upon WILD BOYZ and GUY MANN DUDE and buying copies at my discount haha.

WILD BOYZ hooked me with "Forever", and GUY MAN DUDE was like WTF? (Clusterphuck).

One of my highlights of working at Trans World was doing a solo on the drummer for SARAYA's kit!!! They did a special show at our warehouse for the employees (no joke), and my boss' at the time let me solo on their kit. I also got to play on the kit for BLACKSMITH (they were a killer local band in Upstate NY and changed names to Crown Of Thorns).

Yes I am a drummer. For anyone who needs a refresher I was in the unknown band MOMMY DEAREST.

http://www.myspace.com/mommydearestrocks

WILD BOYZ hooked me with "Forever"

I used to love that song until someone pointed out the chipmunk high vocals at the tail end of the song. :(

On a side note, the lead singer for one of the bands we saw last weekend sounded EXACTLY like the lead singer for Wild Boyz. I was waiting for the band to break into "Roll The Dice" but it never happened.

WILD BOYZ hooked me with "Forever"

I used to love that song until someone pointed out the chipmunk high vocals at the tail end of the song. :(

On a side note, the lead singer for one of the bands we saw last weekend sounded EXACTLY like the lead singer for Wild Boyz. I was waiting for the band to break into "Roll The Dice" but it never happened.

I think it was Jarred that pointed out the "balls in a vice grip" style vocals but dammit I love that song and that cd. I didn't know one other person that had that album much less heard of the band so I always felt like that was "my" band and then I after finding this site I find out that there was all kinds of people that also loved this album. :headbanger:

>> I remember stumbling upon WILD BOYZ <<

Very, very possibly the unfriendliest band in Hollywood during that era. It was childish but I was so happy to see that band "fail" and I know puhhhhlenty of others that felt the same way.

>> I also got to play on the kit for BLACKSMITH (they were a killer local band in Upstate NY <<

ha!! How's my girl Heidi doing these days??? David Smith seemed like the scariest motherf#$%^ I had ever met back in 1986 but he was actually a really nice guy.

Guest ILOVEGLAM23

duude, totally.

they're my favorite.

i have that cd and listen to it at least once a week.

the lyrics and the guitars and vocals and everything are great.'

and pretty boy floyd really is pretty. [: hah