2008 Heavy Harmonies Annual Server Fund Drive

It's been almost a year and a half since the last donation drive, but it's once again time to ask all you hooligans to dig into your pockets to support HH. :banger:

Because this also corresponds with tax time (and anticipated "economy stimulus checks") for those here in the U.S., ;) I'll be running the drive through May 31.

Statistically speaking, the site continues to run strong on viewership. The main site is averaging about 5,500 unique visitors a day, viewing between 30,000 and 40,000 pages a day.

(that gives you an idea of just how few main site readers actually make it over here to the board).

At any rate, keeping the site going costs bucks, and as you can see from the donations page, it's not uncommon to go a month or so without any donations at all...

I don't have any brainstorm ideas as far as prizes for the drive this time, so I'll make them similar to last time, but with the added attraction that you'll be able to at least somewhat pick your prizes rather than just randomly what I choose to send you:

1. For every $5 you donate, you'll get an entry into a drawing I'll hold the first week of June following the end of the donation drive. First prize will be $100 in virtual dollars to spend on music CDs and DVDs from my rather lengthy trade/sale list. There's some fun stuff there for the having. Three other winners will get $25 in virtual dollars to spend.

2. Shipping and insurance of the prizes is on me.

3. At the end of the drive, donors will be listed on the donors page unless you prefer not to be listed.

4. PayPal donation links are found at the top of all the pages on the main site, or if you'd prefer to send a money order, check, or cash (not recommended, but I know some people prefer to do so), you can make payable to Dan Harding and send to:

Heavy Harmonies
    P.O. Box 17212
    Urbana, IL 61803
    USA

Regardless of the form of the prizes, please donate because you enjoy using the site, not because you think you might win a prize. From time to time I've considered going to a subscription model to pay the costs of running Heavy Harmonies, but at the end of the day I *REALLY* don't want to go that route. This donation drive once every year or two keeps from having to do that.

So... without further ado, your support is greatly appreciated! :dance:

-Dan

Do you take food stamps? I've already made plans to blow my stimulus check on cheap booze, cheaper women, and my disturbing need to complete by Smurfs collection... :(

Seriously, just PayPaled a donation.

Now, here's a prize suggestion--a Get Out Of Baneed Free pass. It works like this: if you cross the line and Dan "banees" you, you can whip out your Get Out Of Baneed Free pass and be allowed to continue to roam the boards. It was looking like Matt (Phaffas) was going to be needing one of these a week or so ago...

Or how about this--Baneeing powers. Winner would have the right to banee anyone of their choice for 30 days. :eviltongue: Oh, the endless possibilities... (be afraid, Geoff, be very afraid...)

All joking aside, this is a great site and deserves everyone's support. So git yer wallets out, ya bastids!

Just put the ole crowbar in my wallet and pryed out a small donation...wish it could be more....thanks for access to the site!

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to give a quick update.

39 donations totaling a little over $400 have been received in the first 2 weeks of the donation drive.

Just to give a frame of reference: Between server hardware, bandwidth, server admin/support, the message board, chatroom, and radio feed, that $400 will cover approximately two months of out-of-pocket costs (it ain't cheap).

Thanks to all who have donated thus far!

-Dan

$200/month...

Yes, Pete, you read that right--the same amount of money you spend every month on mascara and various hair care products. ;)

$200/month...

Yes, Pete, you read that right--the same amount of money you spend every month on mascara and various hair care products. ;)

And that doesn't even take into account what I spend on Depends.

That way you can go blow it out your ass and not worry about cleaning up or staining your pants

That way you can go blow it out your ass and not worry about cleaning up or staining your pants

Yeah, and people are telling me to do just that almost on a daily basis. It was really a no brainer, which is perfectly suited to my thought patterns.

$200/month...

You should seek an endorsement deal with them: "Rockarma will rock the shit out of you! Brought to you by Depends."

$200/month...

You should seek an endorsement deal with them: "Rockarma will rock the shit out of you! Brought to you by Depends."

:rofl2:

Hmmm... I could be mistaken, but this thread appears to have gone slightly 'round the bend...

It's a giant Romper Room, I tell ya. :nyanya:

Seems like 70% of the threads have taken this turn recently...........

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a quick update.

With 10 days left in the annual donation drive, there have been 73 donations, totalling just over $800, or enough to cover 4 months of out-of-pocket costs.

Thanks to all who have donated!!

-Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone who donated during the 2008 Donation Drive. It netted $1,017.85, which will cover 5 months of costs. It is certainly appreciated!!

And now the prize winners (drum roll, please...)

The three winners of $25 of stuff from My Goodie List are:

1. Thomas Mann

2. Iordan Kanev

3. Jeff Beever

and the grand prize winner of $100 of goodies is...

Anthony Rocco

Congratulations to the winners and please get me your picks when convenient. In case of multiple people picking the same item(s), Anthony wins the tiebreaker, and I'll flip a coin amongst the others.

Shipping and insurance is on me.

Thanks again to everyone!!

-Dan

Damn, my 1st name is visible for all to see (Thomas) :whistle:

I know only too well how hard it is to raise funds having to push every month for donations for Pirate Radio.

A big thank you to Dan for all his efforts in keeping this great site & forum afloat :tumbsup:

• 4 months later...
Ouch! Seems I won but it was never brought to my attention until today... I guess it is too late now to claim any prize... oh well...

Dang, dude... it was only posted here *AND* on the main site for several weeks. :D :D

Not too late to claim your prize; it's just the pickings have gotten a bit slimmer. Go ahead and PM me your wants.

-Dan

I'm sorry but I've spent June and July in Europe and must have missed those announcements.

Anyhow, I've dontated those money without any prize expectations, so it would have been fine even if it had expired. Thank you for letting me pick so late :beerbang:

• 3 weeks later...