Cloverfield

whiplash1972

DON'T!

One of the most disappointing films I've ever seen...

But, if you do decide to go, I urge you to sit as far back from the screen as possible. Due to the fact that the entire film is from a hand-held camera perspective, there is CONSTANT movement and spinning, and I actually began feeling sick to my stomach as I watched.... :puke:

Just a miserable film going experience all the way around.

That bad huh? Lord knows "The Blair Witch Piece of Sh*t" gave me enough of a headache with that hand-held camera viewpoint... guess I'll wait for the DVD on this one

That bad huh? Lord knows "The Blair Witch Piece of Sh*t" gave me enough of a headache with that hand-held camera viewpoint... guess I'll wait for the DVD on this one

Yeah, pretty damn bad. There are a few visually stunning shots throughout the film, and you do connect with the characters a bit and feel sorry for their situation, but overall, it's just a clusterf*ck of a film.

IMO, the Blair Witch Project was a masterpiece compared to this.... :crying:

Ive heard from more than a couple people, they felt the very same way. Not worth seeing! I was hoping for a great monster/special effects movie. I guess I wont be renting it either.

And I just read somewhere earlier tonight/yesterday that if they make a second one they would probably do it from someone else's point of view. Same camera crap though! :crazy:

Wow... seems that sick feeling is pretty common:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/01/24/movie...ness/index.html

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- "Cloverfield" is the first adrenaline-pumping monster hit of the year, bringing in more than $40 million dollars on its opening weekend. The thriller is told from the point of view of five young New Yorkers using their handheld camera. But for some viewers, being "part" of the movie is making them sick -- literally.

One blogger on the popular movie database IMDB.com said, "I had to get up and leave the theater for nearly 20 minutes just to keep from hurling." Other moviegoers have reported being nauseated and dizzy.

Most viewers are unaffected by the film, but for those who are, experts say the problem is in their heads.

"This is a classic case of vertigo," said Dr. Michael G. Stewart, chairman of otorhinolaryngology (ear, nose and throat medicine) at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weil Cornell Medical Center. "You can look around and feel like things are moving, when they aren't."

Vertigo is caused when a person's balance system gets confused. Your body feels a strong visual sensation of movement but in reality, you aren't moving at all. The disconnect confuses your brain sensors and can cause dizziness and nausea, Stewart said.

AMC theaters across the country have posted signs warning moviegoers of potential "side effects associated with motion sickness similar to riding a roller-coaster."

Don't Miss

So why does the film style affect some viewers and not others?

"People have different levels of susceptibility, similar to how some people cannot ride on a small boat without getting sick," Stewart said. "It's just a natural variation."

The good news is, experiencing vertigo is rare for most people. So if you are itching to see "Cloverfield" but are worried you might get sick, experts recommend taking a dose of over-the-counter anti-vertigo medicine, sold under such brand names as Bonine and Dramamine II. "It might not protect you from all the symptoms, but it could, and it certainly can't hurt," Stewart said.

Another tip is to briefly close your eyes during the movie. It may be enough to recalibrate your sensors and soothe your symptoms long enough to finish the movie.

advertisement

And if you're really concerned, just wait to rent the movie.

"A person would be fine watching from home," Stewart said. "When you are on your couch, you have perspective around the screen so your mind knows the movie is moving and the room isn't."

• 1 year later...

Well, I'm monster late to the party but I'm going to try and start a movement.

I actually really liked this film. The whole sick thing is funny to me because I hate my stomach at times - I need a travel sickness pill for flying and on boats... but the idea of getting sick from watching this film is just out of this world to me. But credit to the statement, my wife stopped watching 'cause she was getting sick. :lol:

Me, though, I loved it. I admit without hesitiation it is a little annoying and a shame at times, but I guess to really pull off what they were going for, I think it worked excellently. From beginning to end I was held completely captivated and I enjoyed the entire film. Compared to like-minded films, I just enjoyed the more "real" aspect of it all... like really being in there with them. Oh, and the girls were hell sexy too. :)

The funniest thing to me? This film obviously had some special effects and a big budget going on, but all they had to capture all this magic on was that little camcorder... it just seems like such a huge effort for what little they can show the audience. :lol: But yeah, big thumbs up from me.

PS. Yes, I liked 'Blair Witch Project' too. ;)

Well, I'm monster late to the party but I'm going to try and start a movement.

I actually really liked this film. The whole sick thing is funny to me because I hate my stomach at times - I need a travel sickness pill for flying and on boats... but the idea of getting sick from watching this film is just out of this world to me. But credit to the statement, my wife stopped watching 'cause she was getting sick. :lol:

Me, though, I loved it. I admit without hesitiation it is a little annoying and a shame at times, but I guess to really pull off what they were going for, I think it worked excellently. From beginning to end I was held completely captivated and I enjoyed the entire film. Compared to like-minded films, I just enjoyed the more "real" aspect of it all... like really being in there with them. Oh, and the girls were hell sexy too. :)

The funniest thing to me? This film obviously had some special effects and a big budget going on, but all they had to capture all this magic on was that little camcorder... it just seems like such a huge effort for what little they can show the audience. :lol: But yeah, big thumbs up from me.

PS. Yes, I liked 'Blair Witch Project' too. ;)

I liked it too.

Blair Witch was cack tho

I enjoyed Cloverfield, definitely. Camera movement didn't bother me at all. I liked the whole object falling in the water off in the distance when they are recording the home video and this idea:

"At the end of cloverfield, the object seen falling into the ocean is a satellite. The monster was on the ocean floor dormant for thousands of years (J.J. A said this in an interview) A japanese company that produces a soft drink called Slusho! were deep sea mining for a new flavor that they had discovered when they awoke the monster. What's funny is that this company is the same one that Rob was going to Japan to work for."

I also enjoyed the Blair Witch Project...first one anyway.

I actually watched the movie again earlier this year on DVD, in the confines of my own home, and enjoyed it. If they do a sequel, I'm in, but not til it hits Pay Per View... :christmas:

I enjoyed Cloverfield, definitely. Camera movement didn't bother me at all. I liked the whole object falling in the water off in the distance when they are recording the home video and this idea:

"At the end of cloverfield, the object seen falling into the ocean is a satellite. The monster was on the ocean floor dormant for thousands of years (J.J. A said this in an interview) A japanese company that produces a soft drink called Slusho! were deep sea mining for a new flavor that they had discovered when they awoke the monster. What's funny is that this company is the same one that Rob was going to Japan to work for."

I also enjoyed the Blair Witch Project...first one anyway.

Cool, thanks for the insight. I missed that. Will have to have a quick look again tonight. ;)

And, Mike, a sequel? Whatcho talkin' about Mikis? I hope that's a big if. They better not.

And, Mike, a sequel? Whatcho talkin' about Mikis? I hope that's a big if. They better not.

There's been talk of doing another movie; not a sequel per se, but another film done from the perspective of a different group of people.

http://teaser-trailer.com/2009/01/cloverfi...eld-sequel.html

Agree with Geoffrey again. Cloverfeild was really well done and I totally dug Blair Witch, wouldn't go into my basement without running back up the stairs and man if I would have seen a red flannel anyrhing in the basement, I would of pooped myself.

There's been talk of doing another movie; not a sequel per se, but another film done from the perspective of a different group of people.

http://teaser-trailer.com/2009/01/cloverfi...eld-sequel.html

Thanks for the link. That actually doesn't sound so bad. I still think this was kind of a unique stand-alone film, though, and I'm not sure how the sequel would go. As long as it's got the same guys who did the first one doing it, it could be okay... I guess.

But you look at the 2nd 'Blair Witch' and that just really, really shouldn't have happened. I actually don't mind the 2nd film (prefer the first one), but talk about cashing in on the name of the first one...

• 2 months later...

Well, turns out my stomach is a bigger homosexual than I anticipated. I saw 'Cloverfield' in the comfort of my own home, which apparently has a whole different affect compared to being in the actual cinema. I watched 'Paranormal Activity' on the big screen last night and it had about 1/100th the camcorder movement to 'Cloverfield' but I was sick as hell. Didn't vomit, but man did I get sick. :lol:

Above statement retracted. :(

Pussy.