L.A. Guns vs. L.A. Guns

heaven&hell

As most of us know, there are currently two versions of L.A. Guns touring and recording.

I think this is really fucking stupid and IMO Traci lost his right to be in L.A. Guns when he quit his own band.

First off this guy walks out the door after they record one of their best albums(Waking the Dead) and then years later he can't get into any other band and pissed everyone else off so he starts a seperate band also called L.A. Guns.

Second the fact that he says his version is all original memebers is just stupid IMO. Just because Paul Black sang for the band when they played shitty clubs and co-wrote some songs doesn't exactly give them the right to say "hey look at us were original members". He was fired for a reason, that's because one he was on drugs and two he isn't as good a singer as Phil Lewis. This is like Dave Murray leaving Iron Maiden and going and getting whoever the singer was before Paul Dianno(Dennis Wilcock???) and saying "hey were original Iron Maiden members and were called Iron Maiden too". Yes Paul was in the band at one time but he never sang one note on a cd so it don't count IMO. To often we see guys like Al Atkins from Judas Priest and whatever the guys name was that was the singer from AC/DC before Bon Scott was, using "Former singer of ............". These guys never sang on any of these bands cds so it don't give them the right to make fans think it's the real deal.

When Traci quit the band to join Brides of Destruction(what a great choice that was) he left L.A. Guns in horrible shape screwing them out of a major tour with Alice Cooper and right when a new album was being released. He was given the opportunity to do both but chose not to and he even said that the Guns should continue on without him and gave them his full blessing.

It's hard enough for these bands to make a living but it's even harder when there's two versions of the same band. I don't know about everyone else but I would rather hear Phil Lewis sing the songs that he sang on not hear Traci play some other guy singing L.A. Guns songs. It would be one thing if Phil left the group like he did before and Traci moved on with other vocalist like Jizzy Pearl. But the case is that Traci left the band gave the band his blessing to move on with another guitarist and now he wants his piece of the pie.

The worst part about this is the fans are being ripped off IMO. I'm sure 99 of the 100 people(on a good night) that show up to see L.A. Guns are expecting to see Phil Lewis and company not Paul Black.

I saw that L.A. Guns were playing in my area recently and I wasn't sure which version it was so I passed.

I'm sure the clubs that are putting on the concerts don't even know there's two versions of this band.

OKay I got that out of my system. :soapbox:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw Tracii. The only L.A. Guns I wanna hear has Phil Lewis on vocals.

This is definite flame bait and in the right place. I really wish people would stop talking about the whole L.A. Guns thing. Every time I hear about it it pisses me off. I've stated my opinion on this too many times already. I'll do it again because someone has to be on the other side. L.A. Guns with Phil Lewis sucks. No matter how you slice it they just plain suck. Also, how can you call any L.A. Guns band the original one? They've had like 500 hundred members over the years. What lineup can you point to and call it the original one? If you look at the guys who made the band what it was it comes down to Tracii and Phil. The 2 guys are in different versions of the band so it's not possible to say which one is the real one. It's not Paul Black, the guy who once upon a time was in L.A. Guns, and a couple random guys claiming to be the real L.A. Guns, but 2 guys that have equal rights in the fans eyes.

This is definite flame bait and in the right place. I really wish people would stop talking about the whole L.A. Guns thing. Every time I hear about it it pisses me off. I've stated my opinion on this too many times already. I'll do it again because someone has to be on the other side. L.A. Guns with Phil Lewis sucks. No matter how you slice it they just plain suck. Also, how can you call any L.A. Guns band the original one? They've had like 500 hundred members over the years. What lineup can you point to and call it the original one? If you look at the guys who made the band what it was it comes down to Tracii and Phil. The 2 guys are in different versions of the band so it's not possible to say which one is the real one. It's not Paul Black, the guy who once upon a time was in L.A. Guns, and a couple random guys claiming to be the real L.A. Guns, but 2 guys that have equal rights in the fans eyes.

Well IMO Phil is the singer of LA Guns...Paul Black-Crackhead couldn't sing to save his life...

yeah he helped write a few songs but that's all. Phil gave em the melodies, lyrics, time,dedication, etc..

Paul..loser. Tracii..well he,like Tommy Lee is chasing what ever is popular..poser...

No there is no "true LA Guns...but the closest is Phil's version, Which happens to have

Steve Riley, who is 1/2 owner of the LA Guns name...

The L.A. Guns is Phil's version since Tracii quit.

No one fired him he walked away and gave them his blessing to continue on without him.

Yeah I would love for it to be Tracii, Phil, Steve, Mick(my fav member of the band and the Izzy Stradlin of LA Guns), and Kelly. But it aint ever gonna happen.

Tracii should of known better then to leave LA Guns. He kept the band going when he was all that was left but when they finally get Phil back and make a couple great albums back to back he then walks away. What a fucking moron. The guy has burned every bridge there is to burn. He should of came crawling back to Steve and Phil and begged for his job back but no instead he has to start another version of the band that he quit.

I back Wes' comments 100%. LA Guns is Phil now. No question. Great guy. Met him a couple of times and more than cordial. Tales From The Strip is another great album. They have more than busted their way into modern times. I will buy everything that the Phil fronted band puts out. No Tracii Guns. I have met Tracii and he was a very nice to me. But he needed to stick with Phil IMHO.

There is only one LA Guns in my eyes, and only one LA Guns is all over my Ipod... and each one of those songs has Phil Lewis on vocals. IMO there is no LA Guns without Phil Lewis.

Theres a similar issue with the Angels - there are two touring and recording bands featuring past and present members.

Ive also read quite a lot that a similar odd issue surrounds the Little River Band... that the actual Little River Band touring the states now doesnt actually contain any of the band members anymore, but they own the name. The original members now have to use the name "Burt Shorock and Goble" or something...

I've seen both versions, and I can truly say that Phil's band SMOKES Tracii's version. Stacy Blades plays circles around Tracii and actually plays Tracii's material better than Tracii these days. On top of that, Stacy is a pretty damn nice guy and took the time, along with the rest of the band, to sit and chat with everyone after the show. Phil was a very humble and nice guy as well as Adam Hamilton, and oddly enough, Steve Riley almost seemed shy in a way. He was great. All the guys took the time to sign CD's, shirts, take pics, etc... I never saw hide nore hair of Tracii's version after their show... :whistle:

If Tracii would have been smart, he would have left on good terms, gave them all a good blessing o carry on without him, BUT, also make sure the door was left unlocked for him to make a return if needed. From the stories I've read on the internet and from other bands, Tracii has a bad habit of burning MANY bridges right behind him as he goes through life. :screwy:

I've seen both versions, and I can truly say that Phil's band SMOKES Tracii's version. Stacy Blades plays circles around Tracii and actually plays Tracii's material better than Tracii these days. On top of that, Stacy is a pretty damn nice guy and took the time, along with the rest of the band, to sit and chat with everyone after the show. Phil was a very humble and nice guy as well as Adam Hamilton, and oddly enough, Steve Riley almost seemed shy in a way. He was great. All the guys took the time to sign CD's, shirts, take pics, etc... I never saw hide nore hair of Tracii's version after their show... :whistle:

If Tracii would have been smart, he would have left on good terms, gave them all a good blessing o carry on without him, BUT, also make sure the door was left unlocked for him to make a return if needed. From the stories I've read on the internet and from other bands, Tracii has a bad habit of burning MANY bridges right behind him as he goes through life. :screwy:

I had the exact same experience as T-Bone. The version with Phil/Steve/Stacy and the new bass player just flat out rocks. They were all very nice and took time to meet us all. Phil IS the voice of LA Guns. I love Tracii and his playing. But it really looks like he burns every bridge when he is in a band. Maybe that's why DJ Ashba plays on the new Sixx AM and not Tracii.

Odd that everyone is taking Lewis's side here. It's the complete opposite on Metal Sludge.

For me it’s an easy pick when one of them is releasing great music and the other hasn’t really released anything good for a long, long time. :)

Odd that everyone is taking Lewis's side here. It's the complete opposite on Metal Sludge.

The Sludgies have pretty much the same collective IQ's as the posters on Blabbermouth :whistle:

For me it’s an easy pick when one of them is releasing great music and the other hasn’t really released anything good for a long, long time. :)

Don't you mean ever? L.A. Guns has never released anything good. A couple decent tracks on Cocked & Loaded and a by the numbers release with Hollywood Vampires. I can only imagine how bad the other releases are.

Don't you mean ever? L.A. Guns has never released anything good. A couple decent tracks on Cocked & Loaded and a by the numbers release with Hollywood Vampires. I can only imagine how bad the other releases are.

Knowing how much you love Hair Metal it suprises me to see you say that. :unsure:

IMO their first four releases are almost perfect and the last 3 since Lewis' return are all great too.

The debut IMO is one of the greatest Sleaze albums of all time.

Knowing how much you love Hair Metal it suprises me to see you say that. :unsure:

IMO their first four releases are almost perfect and the last 3 since Lewis' return are all great too.

The debut IMO is one of the greatest Sleaze albums of all time.

Yeah, I really can't understand it either knowing Jacob's tastes. I agree 100% with your analysis there, Wes... and even 'Man in the moon' is a pretty damn fine disc.

It's all about the way Phil sings. He sounds like he should be fronting a band like Big Bang Babies or Queeny Blast Pop. He's certainly not a sleaze calibur singer. If I'm listening to a sleaze band I want to hear a singer like Jason McMaster not some sugar coated candy glam guy. Phil's voice just doesn't fit with what the band proclaims to be. With all of that said I do have to admit that I thought Torme was alright.

It's all about the way Phil sings. He sounds like he should be fronting a band like Big Bang Babies or Queeny Blast Pop. He's certainly not a sleaze calibur singer.

Kinda odd since Phil basically helped INVENT the sleaze style... those first two L.A. Guns albums are still so dirty that you feel like you need to wash your hands after listening... :)

It's all about the way Phil sings. He sounds like he should be fronting a band like Big Bang Babies or Queeny Blast Pop. He's certainly not a sleaze calibur singer.

Kinda odd since Phil basically helped INVENT the sleaze style... those first two L.A. Guns albums are still so dirty that you feel like you need to wash your hands after listening... :)

Backed...and don't forget the 2 Girl albums..both are great...

Backed...and don't forget the 2 Girl albums..both are great...

Backed, and still the best stuff he has done IMO. There are 3 though, 'Killing Time ' being the 3rd one. :beerbang: