Poison - Poison'd

Geoff

Just received this in the mail. Not sure how legit it is, but if it is, someone needs a thwapping.

I am writing this in hopes of getting some answers. This has been sent to all parties involved in the release of Poison’s new album and some media outlets to bring to light what has happened to me and how I now feel ripped off.

So I like many went out on Tuesday to get the new Poison CD Poison’d. Well I got mine at Target and purchased the "Target Ultimate Tour Edition" that came with a voucher for two free lawn tickets at the dates listed on the back of the disc. Well my town and venue was listed on the back so I purchased the disc. I went to the venue yesterday to get my two free tickets, I showed the lady at the ticket counter the voucher and since it was the first one they got she had to call her manager to find out what to do. Her manager told her she was trying to figure out how to redeem them and could she get my name and number to call me when she found out. That was fine with me since the venue is only about 20 min from where I live. Well I got a call today saying that they are not participating in the give-a-way and the venue told the company before this who put it together they were not going to be involved and it is a miss-print on their part. WTF! I am now pissed that I wasted my money on the CD because one of the reasons I got it was because of the ticket offer. I am a Poison fan but I would not have gotten the album just yet as money is tight in my house and there is no room for extra expenses at this time but the ticket offer swayed me to get it.

I am not sure if this is Poison, their record company, Live Nation, the venue or Target's fault but I now feel like I have been lied to and ripped off. To me this seems like a scam to sell more records, who knows if it will help but they got my money. I am a casual fan of the bands and have supported them over the years buying CD's going to shows and have even met Bret, Rikki and C.C. who seemed like nice enough guys at the time but this is just not right. I am now out the money I paid for the CD that could have gone to more important things in my family’s budget, my time, gas going to the store and venue and on top of that I feel cheated.

I hope someone at any of the places I have sent this to will get back to me and explain to me why this has happened and hopefully have a solution to this problem.

Okay, so I heard it and have to admit it's not the worst. Sure, it's a covers album so it automatically sucks, but on a level of suck it's pretty low down the scale. Decent production, a few good tracks. Not the worst at all, to be honest, and I love hearing the guys back in action... especially CC's trademark solos. :) I just with there were even one or two new songs, with the new sound. :(

Okay, so I heard it and have to admit it's not the worst. Sure, it's a covers album so it automatically sucks, but on a level of suck it's pretty low down the scale. Decent production, a few good tracks. Not the worst at all, to be honest, and I love hearing the guys back in action... especially CC's trademark solos. :) I just with there were even one or two new songs, with the new sound. :(

Sorry cousin but I think it sucks.

Now the Tesla cover album on the other hand is really good.

Yeah, I agree it sucks and it's still a lazy-ass effort, but it's not quite as bad as I feared.

Haven't heard Tesla yet, but I did hear the first track which was absolutely terrible. Will hear the rest asap.

Yeah, I agree it sucks and it's still a lazy-ass effort, but it's not quite as bad as I feared.

Haven't heard Tesla yet, but I did hear the first track which was absolutely terrible. Will hear the rest asap.

Now with the Tesla album there's not gonna be to many songs that you know as they're from the early 70's and some from late 60's, but the music is played very very well.

Now with the Tesla album there's not gonna be to many songs that you know as they're from the early 70's and some from late 60's, but the music is played very very well.

Yeah, I have a real bad feeling my hatred for the actual songs is going to make that album very hard to enjoy... especially if the first track is any indication.

Lazy bastards, all of them. Poison and Tesla. And Def Leppard. Bon Jovi may suck, but at least they haven't done one of these bullshit covers albums.

Yet.

Yeah, I have a real bad feeling my hatred for the actual songs is going to make that album very hard to enjoy... especially if the first track is any indication.

Lazy bastards, all of them. Poison and Tesla. And Def Leppard. Bon Jovi may suck, but at least they haven't done one of these bullshit covers albums.

Yet.

I agree cover albums are lazy but I must say the Shaw-Blades is a great cover album

Has anyone purchased the Poison CD at Circuit City?They were supposed to have a free Poison shirt with the CD.I was wondering what it looked like,etc.,before I drive 30 miles to Circuit City to get it.

I also picked up the Tesla CD today at Best Buy with the bonus disc and it is great.A lot of the songs you may not be familiar with but that to me is what has always been cool about Tesla is they do covers that you haven't heard the original of 100 times.They do songs they grew up on and probably played back in the garage/bar days.Where as although I like Poison their covers have always seemed to be covering popular songs just for popularities sake.Now I just hope Tesla comes around here on tour so I can get the second disc to the set!

Poison'd is a fun CD.

Ok, so its a covers CD, who really gives a shit, its good stuff!

Some people are just too highly critical, especially when they are critical before they have even heard it!

I have heard half of it now, so I think I can be critical - It Is ABSOLUTE Shit!! :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

I doubt I'll ever give a review of this album, seeing as there are probably a couple of thousand albums I haven't heard that I'd much rather listen to, and even then, I think Sing Along With Barney would merit more serious consideration... How long before the tour blows up when someone swipes someone else's mascara or eyeshadow backstage?

Poison'd is a fun CD.

Ok, so its a covers CD, who really gives a shit, its good stuff!

Some people are just too highly critical, especially when they are critical before they have even heard it!

I'm a big of a Poison fan that you will find on this board. with that being said I doubt I will ever buy this cd. I've heard most of it and don't really care for most that I've heard. just a couple "new" tracks really make me feel like "yeah, that sounded good" most just don't fit and why be so lazy to do a cover album and include covers you have already done that you can get already?

sorry, I love Poison but this will be the first album I don't buy

I normally hate covers albums but this has a bit of charm and loads of party! It kind of works too! It's not pretending to be anything its not. I imagine the Tesla album will be full of standard serious rock songs. T

he Poison record has some good choices but they shine having been given the Poison glitter! It's a fun album whereas the Tesla one is probably serious.

I didnt expect much from Poison'd but was pleasantly surprised!

Put it this way, I was feeling very down last Thursday, put this album on and the somber mood lifted!! Any album that can do that has my vote!!

Tc

After listening to "Poison'd" a few times now, my final verdict is: "Ehhhh, it's OK." I like the Alice Cooper, Bowie, Cars, and Romantics covers...since "Rock N Roll All Nite," "We're An American Band" and "Your Mama Don't Dance" aren't new recordings I don't really count those... (although the KISS cover made me go "Wow, Bret's voice was REALLLLY whiny back in the day wasn't it?")

I've heard better, I've heard worse. As covers albums go, you can do a LOT worse than this one (i.e. any of the dozens of "tribute" albums released on the Dwell Records label in the early part of this decade, for instance...)

Holy crapola, this is bad. :thppt: Any self-respecting Poison fan should avoid this like Rosie O'Donnell avoids Slim Fast. After the much-loathed "Hollyweird" album, Poison needed to come back with a vengeance and knock one out of the park in order to win back--and retain--their fan base. Whatever idiot told them that a covers album was the way to go should be immediately terminated and never allowed to dispense music advice ever again.

Holy crapola, this is bad. :thppt: Any self-respecting Poison fan should avoid this like Rosie O'Donnell avoids Slim Fast. After the much-loathed "Hollyweird" album, Poison needed to come back with a vengeance and knock one out of the park in order to win back--and retain--their fan base. Whatever idiot told them that a covers album was the way to go should be immediately terminated and never allowed to dispense music advice ever again.

Backed.

This might have been career-suicide for Poison IMO.

I thought it was a silly idea at the time they announced it and I said so on this forum.

BUT I really like it. They made the covers sound like Poison songs, they have that 'Nothin but a Good Time' feel. Simple as that.

I dont disect them, they just sound fun and uplifting!

Very few bands can actually do covers and make them sound like their own. Poison have certainly added a lot of their own infuence to these songs!

Tc

• 1 year later...

Just made this little rant in another thread:

Seriously, I hate covers albums so much but I honestly don't hate this one as so many others I've heard. I guess that's where bias for one of your favourite bands comes in handy. I seriously don't mind 'Suffragette City', 'I need to know', 'Just what I needed'... hell, the only one I've really disliked so far are 'Little Willy' and 'Dead flowers'. I can handle the rest. Possibly my 2nd fave covers album that I've bothered to hear... after LA Guns' 'Rip the Covers Off'... which is actually a pretty cool album - covers or not.