Blue Tears

Geoff

Okay, so it's all been said and done. At least up until now. I hope there is another album, but it's likely that the Blue Tears story has come to an end. I don't know if they're still together, or if there will be another album. I'm not sure. But what's your verdict on the story so far?

Are you like me and do you wish the debut was 12 tracks - the 10 that were released plus 'Kisses in the dark' and 'Summer girl' and that was the end of the story? No demos, no new album. Just one flawless 12 track melodic hard rock album sitting there in the history books.

The debut is is my top 10, probably 5 albums of all time and to me is just a perfect example of how melodic hard rock should sound. The two demos CDs are nice to have in the collection, but do kind of tarnish the perfect impression I had of them. For me, the only truely killer cuts on the 2 albums are 'Kisses in the dark' and 'Summer girl'. The rest ranges from okay to pure crap, IMO. And 'Innocent ones'. Well, what do you say about that album? Same songs with the vibe, sound and production of the debut - might have worked. But as it is, just a weak shadow of a once amazing band, IMO. A disappointing end, if it is the end.

So what's your impression of Blue Tears and what has become of one of the finest bands the genre has produced?

David of Suncity Records fame as stated there's another half a dozen or so cool tracks around.

I reckon there will be another BT disc but it seems a few things need to happen.

I really do hope there is one. But I do hope a lot of time and effort is invested into it. I don't know if this happened with 'Innocent ones' but to me it just doesn't sound like it. The sound, especially the drums were piss-weak and musically the band just didn't have anywhere near the bite they once had. It sounded like a rushed job... and I still think there is potential when Fulkerson is involved for the project to shine again.

I have the S/T, both Suncity releases and a single of "Rockin' With The Radio". I think the band is great, a nice blend of Def Leppard and Bon Jovi.

I have the debut which I love and the 2 Suncity Comps. which were patchy but contained some great songs. Not really bothered about anymore stuff from them if it is going to as Crap as 'Innocent Eyes' which was really bad.

I dont have to listen to the other cd's, youve got to know, an album like S\T only comes once in a bands career, it's called a peak album, they just happened to nail it on the first go, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that the S\T album wasnt promoted properly, MCA shelled out the cash for David Cole and then turned around and fucked the band in the ass, Cole produced one of the most overproduced albums of all time on that album, imo, I understood that in 8th grade when Kber 101 here in Salt Lake City introduced me to Crush and Rocking With The Radio, then they vanished, it took me until I was out of high school to locate a cd of the S\T, and to this day I listen to it and every song just pours memorys into my head, I'll tell you what, it was a great thing to have that cd in my adolecent years, it's almost like the soundtrack to my junior high memorys, and it will always be priceless in my collection, and my life! is that a good enough fucking answer? that was my sissy boy answer, but thats how I feel.

David of Suncity Records fame as stated there's another half a dozen or so cool tracks around.

I reckon there will be another BT disc but it seems a few things need to happen.

I really do hope there is one. But I do hope a lot of time and effort is invested into it. I don't know if this happened with 'Innocent ones' but to me it just doesn't sound like it. The sound, especially the drums were piss-weak and musically the band just didn't have anywhere near the bite they once had. It sounded like a rushed job... and I still think there is potential when Fulkerson is involved for the project to shine again.

Gregg publicly stated with "Innocent Ones", he captured the real Blue Tears sound. -_-<_<

As much as I love that album, it's the debut thats Blue Tears to me :)

Gregg Fulkerson imho, has alot more albums left in him, time will tell though whether it'll be under the Blue Tears monicker or some thang else :angel: He is one songwriter that should not fade away.

Perhaps David of Suncity can chip in his thoughts. :whistle:

Blue Tears is a good band!

My favorite album is their s/t debut album! It kicks ass! "Rockin' With The Radio" is one of my favorite songs!

I have a copy of the debut and I think there's some good songs on it.

I haven't heard the others they've put out the last couple of years.

I have the first disc. I wasn't all that much into them although I loved the song "Blue Tears".

Blue Tears' debut is melodic hard rock perfection, one of my top five favorite albums. Overproduced, yes, but overproduced to perfection. An awe-inspiring masterpiece. Hooks do not get any bigger, the choruses are what the word 'anthemic' was coined to describe, and the backing vox are massive almost beyond belief. Everything about this CD is huge. The songs on here are so bombastically over-the-top that even Desmond Child grudgingly bows his head in much respect, copious amounts of envy, and a little jealousy.

The demos were mostly fine in their own right, but only a handful of the tracks measured up to the incredibly high standards of the debut. "A Date with Destiny" easily could've been slotted onto the debut and "Rock You to Heaven" would've sounded phenomenal with David Cole's production. Other demos I really like are "Loud Guitars, Fast Cars, and Wild, Wild Women," "Girl Crazy," & "Mad, Bad & Dangerous."

The less said about "Innocent Ones" the better. I don't care what Fulkerson says, that is not the true Blue Tears sound, and claiming it is feels like a slap in the face to all of us who hold the debut in such high regard. And if Fulkerson hated that over-the-top style so much, why did he use it when he was hired to produce Michael Sweet's debut solo effort? Listening to Fulkerson's production on that CD is almost like hearing a Christian version of Blue Tears. (Yes, Geoff, I know you just shuddered at the thought. Hearing Michael Sweet belt out "J.E.S.U.S." with those wall-of-sound backing vocals must make you curl up under your covers, whimpering in pain.) :lol:

Is Blue Tears done? Maybe, maybe not. If the best they can do is "Innocent Ones," then perhaps it's time to put the baby to bed. Either way, they gave us one of the greatest melodic hard rock CDs of all time, and for that I will always be grateful.

The less said about "Innocent Ones" the better. I don't care what Fulkerson says, that is not the true Blue Tears sound, and claiming it is feels like a slap in the face to all of us who hold the debut in such high regard. And if Fulkerson hated that over-the-top style so much, why did he use it when he was hired to produce Michael Sweet's debut solo effort? Listening to Fulkerson's production on that CD is almost like hearing a Christian version of Blue Tears. (Yes, Geoff, I know you just shuddered at the thought. Hearing Michael Sweet belt out "J.E.S.U.S." with those wall-of-sound backing vocals must make you curl up under your covers, whimpering in pain.) :lol:

:lol: That Michael Sweet album is mostly fantastic, but that song is arguably the worst ever recorded. I used honestly shake walls with my laughter (more than my fist did) when I heard that song, but later on I did actually tremble, shudder and weep silently in the foetal position until it was over. Incredible to think it's recorded and there for all time.

Like I said before....Great Band!!!

I love their debut s/t release!!!

My favorite tracks off of it are: "Rockin' With The Radio", "Innocent Kiss", "Crush", and the great ballad "True Romance"!!!

Great band and fantastic 1st album!

The debut is good... The others are overrated IMHO. Far from perfection (if the perfection exists)... <_< Just my 2 cents...

• 3 weeks later...

Blue Tears' 1st album is quite good.......there are a lot of really great tracks and one filler IMO. Though, I have had the demos for quite sometime before they were officially released, I was always a little partial of the demos more than the debut release. When the band released the two demo discs, I am glad some of the songs had been remastered and cleaned up a little, and the to have the correct track listing and song titles.

However, when the band released the new album; "Innocent Ones", I was not impressed at all!!! It should really have been a follow up to Attraction 65's debut album... but I think because of the large demand of the Blue Tears demos, I think they thought they could pull it off as a Blue Tears album...which did not work for me.

• 3 weeks later...
do u really think Innocent ones was a followup to attraction 65? the Innocent ones was terrible...

Totally agree with you !! And in addition to the production Attraction 65 is great piece of music !! And this comes from someone, who can't really be called a lover of Nu-Breed music.

• 2 years later...

If I made a Blue Tears Top 17 song compilation it would look like this:

1. Rockin' With the Radio

2. Blue Tears

3. Take This Heart

4. Halfway to Heaven

5. Innocent Kiss

6. Racing With the Moon

7. Kiss Me Goodbye

8. True Romance

9. Thunder in the Night

10. Kisses in the dark

11. Summer Girl

12. She Wants To Be A Star

Bonus tracks:

13. Small Town Dreams

14. With You Tonight

15. Rock You To Heaven

16. Evidence Of Love

17. Misty Blue

18. Midnight Train

If I made a Blue Tears Top 17 song compilation it would look like this:

1. Rockin' With the Radio

2. Blue Tears

3. Take This Heart

4. Halfway to Heaven

5. Innocent Kiss

6. Racing With the Moon

7. Kiss Me Goodbye

8. True Romance

9. Thunder in the Night

10. Kisses in the dark

11. Summer Girl

12. She Wants To Be A Star

Bonus tracks:

13. Small Town Dreams

14. With You Tonight

15. Rock You To Heaven

16. Evidence Of Love

17. Misty Blue

18. Midnight Train

what an amazing set of songs but missing a few important ones.

I think the S\T disc is one of the greatest discs in history, and Im just glad I was in 9th grade when I heard it, because it brings back so many good memorys from my 9th grade pre high school life! the production is part of what made it so mind blowing, when I was in 9th grade i didnt know what production was, I just knew it sounded fucking bamboose!!!