Favorite Vintage LOUDNESS album

Favorite Vintage Loudness Album  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been listening to a heckuva lot of Loudness lately, and I haven't done a poll in a while, so I figured I'd throw this question out to the H.H. hordes... which of these discs from Loudness' first decade is the best?

(I limited the choices to the first ten Loudness albums since they are the only ones I'm terribly familiar with... because after the Vescera era ended, the band retreated back to Japan and their albums since then were only available as imports too expensive for a U.S. fan like myself to keep up with. Therefore, I don't know much about any of them other than the S/T.)

By the way, my top three favorites are as follows:

1) Thunder In The East

2) Disillusion

3.) S/T

Disillusion and Hurricane Eyes in 2nd.

Thunder, then Lightning with Soldier of Fortune a close third.

Boy I really, really could not stand Hurricane Eyes way back when (way too poppy I thought). I know my music tastes have changed through the years so I have to wonder if I'd like it now.

Thunder, then Lightning with Soldier of Fortune a close third.

Boy I really, really could not stand Hurricane Eyes way back when (way too poppy I thought). I know my music tastes have changed through the years so I have to wonder if I'd like it now.

HURRICANE EYES has a couple of decent tracks but it's nowhere near as good as THUNDER, LIGHTNING or DISILLUSION in my book. They really went whole hog trying for the radio-friendly pop direction on HURRICANE, it's too slick.

Disillusion(thanx Keef for da hook up...It's killer)...

No problemo brother. "Crazy Doctor" = :banger: !!!

:banger: and "Esper" :banger:

I just wish I knew what an "Esper" was? :) I should send you the English lyric sheet, it's a scream...

The only albums I like that I know from these guys are both excellent - 'On the prowl' came in 2nd and 'Soldier of fortune' is my pick and my fave. Awesome disc. Is the s/t from 1992 a best of?

I've heard their earlier stuff, owned a few albums but it never really did it for me.

Thunder In The East was the first concert I ever saw, my uncle took me to see it when I was 5 years old, it was Loudness opening for Y&T, all I remember was laughing uncontrollably when the lights came on and I heard " Herro Tampa, R U Leady To Lock N Loll" I found that so funny as a 5 year old boy, then they thundered in the guitar for Crazy Nights and I wasnt laughing anymore as I was getting my first ever taste of live heavy metal, and I was speechless, I think every parent should take there 5 year old to hear a hair metal band, for it was absolutely the most dumbfounding thing to this day has never been surpassed,

Is the s/t from 1992 a best of?

Nah, the self titled from '92 is a regular studio album. It's the first one with Masaki Yamada (formerly of EZO) on lead vox. Pretty good stuff, though I'm more partial to the early Minoru Niihara-fronted version of the band. Didn't care for the Vescera stuff at all. He's a good vocalist but he just didn't fit Loudness at all IMHO.

Probably the best band out of Japan along with EZO!

I had to go with Hurricane Eyes followed closely by Thunder In The East. However the song "Let It Go" smokes and is probably my favorite Loudness track, however the rest of Lightning Strikes didn't do much for me.

I saw Loudness open for Stryper on their Hurricane Eyes tour, awesome band live (and LOUD as hell too, just like their name says)! I think I still have a skin tight concert shirt around here somewhere from that show as well. I say the shirt shrunk by my wife keeps informing me that its me thats getting bigger :P

Never been a Loudness fan--something about them just never clicked with me--but I have heard most of their albums and the one I deemed the best was "Soldier of Fortune." But if I never heard them again I wouldn't shed any tears...

Probably the best band out of Japan along with EZO!

I had to go with Hurricane Eyes followed closely by Thunder In The East. However the song "Let It Go" smokes and is probably my favorite Loudness track, however the rest of Lightning Strikes didn't do much for me.

I saw Loudness open for Stryper on their Hurricane Eyes tour, awesome band live (and LOUD as hell too, just like their name says)! I think I still have a skin tight concert shirt around here somewhere from that show as well. I say the shirt shrunk by my wife keeps informing me that its me thats getting bigger :P

YESSS!! I'm not the only one who likes Hurricane Eyes.

Is the self-titled one really bad? I haven't seen any mention of it except for Keith's explanation to me (thanks mate). Is it similar at all to 'Soldier of fortune' and 'On the prowl'?

Is the self-titled one really bad? I haven't seen any mention of it except for Keith's explanation to me (thanks mate). Is it similar at all to 'Soldier of fortune' and 'On the prowl'?

I quite like the self titled disc Geoff, but knowing your tastes it probably wouldn't be up your alley...style wise it's much heavier than the SOLDIER OF FORTUNE stuff, it's more in line with the earlier albums with Minoru Niihara on vocals. Do you like EZO? Cuz the former EZO singer (Masaki Yamada) is the vocalist on the S/T.

Thanks Keith... yeah, I was kinda picturing it how you mention there. I don't mind EZO, but they never really did it for me at all and sold their discs. I don't think the s/t one would really be my thing. If I see it for a dollar I'd pick it up for sure, but otherwise I may never hear it. :( I just thought in 1992 it might have a killer ballsy sound, but I was hoping it'd still be as melodic as the last 2. Maybe not I'm guessing? :)