why did Skid Row split?

66 mustang

Maybe the "reason" :anon: they split up was the old, classic & for the most part oft used reason/excuse/explanation of "artistic differences" :blink: which tends to get used with most bands/members when they need a break from each other (like a vacation wouldn't do the trick? :crazy: , hell, some bands take years off/away from each other and/or in between recording sessions, tours or P.R. stuff), but it may have been the boozin', the broa...(no offense to the any/all ladies :) ) er, ladies :tits:;) & then you have the record exec's wanting/waiting for the next "hit" single or record, lol, cd, well, whatever. :doh: Oh, & then there's that little thing named druuuuuggs' involvement for :crazy::hammer::screwy::yikes: all the ingredients of a split up, not to mention probably lack of ideas for new material, in some cases. :whistle: Thas IMO, of course I could be wrong! :drink::bananamac:

Decaf, my friend...decaf. :)

JL

"We never broke up ! We took a 14-year vacation !" (Eagles in 1984 at the "Hell freezes over" tour)

;)

Well, I guess I'm in agreement with Geoff on this one. While I did like 'Subhuman Race', I thought that it was their weakest album. It just didn't compare to the first two (especially 'Slave To The Grind'). I'm also with Geoff about 'Breakin' down' being one of my faves ever! I really love this song and 'Wasted Time'. Actually 'B Side Ourselves' is their worst album for me, but I didn't count this one as it was cover songs and stuff they didn't write.

Yeah, I agree 'B-sides' is by far their worst release. When I was speaking of 'Subhuman race', I was, of course, referring to the 3 full-length original releases. :)

And when the hell did Snake Sabo leave the band??? If that is true, it is getting pretty stupid when there's only 2/5 of the original band. :(

While we're talking about people exiting the band... what the hell happened with Rob Affuso? I love him as a drummer - one of my faves... why did he leave the band? Anyone know? Was that also in 1996 with Sebastian?

Well, I guess I'm in agreement with Geoff on this one. While I did like 'Subhuman Race', I thought that it was their weakest album. It just didn't compare to the first two (especially 'Slave To The Grind'). I'm also with Geoff about 'Breakin' down' being one of my faves ever! I really love this song and 'Wasted Time'. Actually 'B Side Ourselves' is their worst album for me, but I didn't count this one as it was cover songs and stuff they didn't write.

Yeah, I agree 'B-sides' is by far their worst release. When I was speaking of 'Subhuman race', I was, of course, referring to the 3 full-length original releases. :)

And when the hell did Snake Sabo leave the band??? If that is true, it is getting pretty stupid when there's only 2/5 of the original band. :(

While we're talking about people exiting the band... what the hell happened with Rob Affuso? I love him as a drummer - one of my faves... why did he leave the band? Anyone know? Was that also in 1996 with Sebastian?

Rob Affuso and Bas had some bad blood between them from what I read. When Skid Row got back together to do the Kiss Farewell tour ( you know the one that still hasn't ended ) Rob was pissed that he wasn't asked to participate. Snake was quoted in Metal Edge Magazine saying that Rob was told he'd be called if the Original lineup was to get back together, but since it was with a different singer Rob wasn't called. The last I heard Rob was playing in some 15 piece funk group around New York/New Jersey.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Rob Affuso and Bas had some bad blood between them from what I read. When Skid Row got back together to do the Kiss Farewell tour ( you know the one that still hasn't ended ) Rob was pissed that he wasn't asked to participate. Snake was quoted in Metal Edge Magazine saying that Rob was told he'd be called if the Original lineup was to get back together, but since it was with a different singer Rob wasn't called. The last I heard Rob was playing in some 15 piece funk group around New York/New Jersey.

Rob also played drums for a band called Mystery Bloom. He played on their cd titled "Glow".

The last I heard Rob was playing in some 15 piece funk group around New York/New Jersey.

That is correct, I believe the name of the band was "Soul System" if I remember correctly. Dunno if they're still around but years back I remember I was at an Ace Frehley show and the club announced that Rob's band was playing there the following week. All the rockers in the audience kinda laughed when they announced it, like "Duuuude, get the funk out, maaaaaan." :)

• 2 weeks later...
I knew Snake was having some problems but I didn't know he wasn't in the band. Maybe he's just not touring right now. How can he not be in the band because it was his band.

From http://www.skidrow.com :

6/8/2006

IN RESPONSE.

Though we usually ignore our former singers rants and accusations, we felt we had to respond to his recent boldfaced lies. We do NOT use his image to promote our shows. In fact there is a clause in our show agreement that states "Venue to use ONLY current, band approved photo for advertising and promotion."

No bait, no switch. But to be sure an old photo hadn't fallen through the cracks, we had our booking agent double-check. Here is the correspondence between the buyers of the shows and our agent.

From the buyer of the two Indiana dates.

Hi Mark, I have spoken directly with Vic at Club Fever and Mike at Jamz, neither has done that. Vic laughed and said, “I’m in the clear! I know better than that, I know he isn’t in the band any more!” And Mike hasn’t used any photos at all in the paper, and has a black & white photo from the media page that I sent to him. Mike did, however bring up something interesting; Sebastian just appeared at the horse track in Anderson, IN...did they use a “Skid Row” photo in the paper to promote him...

Let me know.

Thanks, Kim

From the buyer of the NJ show.

Hi Tony: Although I know better, I have been asked to confirm with you that, in the course of advertising the Skid Row show, you have not used any artwork that includes Sebastian Bach. Please confirm, by return email, that this is the case.

Thanks, Mark

Obviously, we haven’t used any artwork that includes Baz….the band does need a new pic so we can put one on our website….what’s up…???

As most of you know he was let go almost a decade ago so we obviously have nothing to gain by connecting the SKID ROW name to his. No bait, no switch.

Secondly. Now if the claim that Snake is not in the band is true, then someone has perfected human cloning being that it was Snake playing guitar in Burnsville, MN on 5/5/06, Menomonee, WI on 5/6/06 and Las Vegas, NV 5/13/06. And it was Snake with us in Atlanta, GA taping a segment for CNN (to be aired in Sept). And it was in fact he who was there while we were doing our most recent photo shoot for our new CD (coming in Oct). Snake has Carpal Tunnel in his left arm. This has put him temporarily in the position of performing limited shows. He is trying to rehab his arm with physical therapy instead of surgery. It was his decision for us to continue doing shows with a temporary replacement player. Snake WILL be playing June 22, 23, 24 which includes the Starland Ballroom in Sayreville, NJ. And if his arm is okay he will continue to perform more shows. All that being said, he is in the band.

Finally. The claim that WE would charge a fan to meet us is preposterous!

Hopefully this clears everything up. See you at the shows.

Sincerely,

Snake, Johnny, Scotti, Dave, Rachel - SKID ROW

sr_2006_small.jpg

• 3 years later...

Guns N Roses.

Outside of rock circles, Skid Row are hardly known, especially outside of the USA, but GNR are known by everyone and their mothers.

Its like Kiss and Van Halen reunions.

Most people in this country went "There was a different line up?" or "Who?"

I agree, you mention Skid Row to the commoner and theyll be thinking "another one of his rock bands"

you mention GnR and most people will atleast know about Slash, Axl and possibly Duff, and most rock fans, regardless of if they listen to the band, will know about Steven, Izzy, Gilby, Matt etc depending on which era theyre more familiar with...

i think Appetite For Destruction still holds the record for best selling debut, not sure, but if it does then thats a 20 year record! i dont think the Skid Row - S/T album even comes close to the sales of AFD...

GNR for sure. But within the hard rock community and based on the Skids/Bach feud maybe that one would be bigger.

IMO, bringing back the original vocalist is the bigger coup. Yes, nowadays traditionalists view Rose and co. as nothing more than a glorified cover band, but close your eyes and it sounds close enough to what you'd expect vintage GNR to sound like 20 years later. Live that is. And for the record, I really like Chinese Democracy.

Whereas, there is no mistaking Poley back in D2 and the energy Bach brings to the stage would be otherworldly back in Skid Row.

Hopefully I'll get the chance to see both reunions happen. While it may not make perfect sense from a business standpoint (more $$$$ to be made on individual tours) the Axl/Seb friendship provides the perfect angle for a Skid/GNR reunion tour together. High time the two of them make it up to the fans for all those wasted years.

GNR would definitely be the bigger reunion.

However, I'd personally give more of a sh*t about a Skid Row reunion.

Just sayin'. <_<

Yeah, no contest. 90% of people I know have never even heard of Skid Row. Every single person on the planet has heard of and heard Guns N' Roses.

As stated, though, for the average hard rock fan a Skid Row reunion would surely be more exciting.

I agree, you mention Skid Row to the commoner and theyll be thinking "another one of his rock bands"

you mention GnR and most people will atleast know about Slash, Axl and possibly Duff, and most rock fans, regardless of if they listen to the band, will know about Steven, Izzy, Gilby, Matt etc depending on which era theyre more familiar with...

i think Appetite For Destruction still holds the record for best selling debut, not sure, but if it does then thats a 20 year record! i dont think the Skid Row - S/T album even comes close to the sales of AFD...

Boston's self titled disc is the best selling debut of all time by a mile.

That's what I thought, but Wikipedia has Guns n' Roses at 18x Platinum (28 Million copies) and Boston at 17x platinum. How accurate that is, I don't know.

That's what I thought, but Wikipedia has Guns n' Roses at 18x Platinum (28 Million copies) and Boston at 17x platinum. How accurate that is, I don't know.

That would be since Soundscan I'm sure and doesn't count anything prior where Boston raked up most of their sales. I was sure I'd read somewhere that Boston had sold in the 20-23 million range. Maybe it was just in the US that Boston had outsold everyone and GNR has it beat world wide?

Boston outside of the USA is probably only really known for one or two songs, so I would hazard a guess that Appetite has probably sold more worldwide (and obviously in a shorter time scale).

The figures seem to break down like this:

Appetite US 18mil Worldwide 28mil

Boston US 17mil Worldwide not listed as it must be less than 20mil

Oh, and looking at Wikipedia, Bat out of hell has done 43mil, and that was Meat Loafs solo debut, so that would outrank the likes of Boston and GNR.

And sad to say, even the Backstreet Boys debut at 30mil outranks them both as well!