why did Skid Row split?

66 mustang

According to Sebastian Bach in the first episode of "SuperGroup," Doc McGhee (who is the "Supergroup" manager and also managed Skid Row back in the day) "fired" Bas from Skid Row in the mid 90s.. make of that what you will, I guess.

Apparently Bach gets ugly when he gets drunk (a situation that looks like it will surface in a future episode of Supergroup) and the rest of the band got tired of putting up with him...

But then, that's Bach's side of the story... I'm sure if you asked Rachel Bolan or Snake Sabo you'd get a different one

Until I heard Sebastian say Doc was the one that fired him from Skid Row I had always thought the band did it. The story I always heard was that X-mas 1996 there was an ugly phone conversation between Snake and Bas when Snake was at his mom's house. I remember Bas answering questions in Metal Edge in 1997 saying that they won't call him back. It's a shame because I think they had credibility with both Metal fans and glam fans, and they probably would be able to play much bigger places and maybe have a better record deal if Bas was in the band.

Until I heard Sebastian say Doc was the one that fired him from Skid Row I had always thought the band did it. The story I always heard was that X-mas 1996 there was an ugly phone conversation between Snake and Bas when Snake was at his mom's house. I remember Bas answering questions in Metal Edge in 1997 saying that they won't call him back. It's a shame because I think they had credibility with both Metal fans and glam fans, and they probably would be able to play much bigger places and maybe have a better record deal if Bas was in the band.

On I married S. Bach on Vh1, he said the band wrote the music for the whole next lp and just dropped it off to him to write the lyrics, he got pissed and thought the band should be together during the process of writing both music and lyrics and that was the beginning of the end. Sounds like there's more than just any one reason he was kicked out/quit.

Plain & simple...they just didn't get along. Bas has a personality that most people wouldn't be able to deal with. Once the slandering starts in the media, at a certain point you can't go back. It's just too late.

Very sad though because their albums are excellent!

JL

The first 2 were great and the B Side Ourselves was ok, but Subhuman Race was a clunker ;) Even IF they were to get Bach back, I doubt that Rob Affuso would ever come back. They really did a number on him after he was let go.

I read that some japanese promoter offered the band some nice coin if the original line up got back together & did a mini tour over there, but Sabo & Co. shot that idea down. I guess they're happy making shitty Goo Goo Dolls sounding records. :2up:

The first 2 were great and the B Side Ourselves was ok, but Subhuman Race was a clunker ;) Even IF they were to get Bach back, I doubt that Rob Affuso would ever come back. They really did a number on him after he was let go.

I love Subhuman Race. "Beat yourself Blind", "Breakin' Down", "Into Another", "My Enemy", "Firesign", "Bonehead", "Face against my Soul", and "Elieen" are all killer songs.

Yeah it was darker than the previous two but still very very good stuff.

I love Subhuman Race. "Beat yourself Blind", "Breakin' Down", "Into Another", "My Enemy", "Firesign", "Bonehead", "Face against my Soul", and "Elieen" are all killer songs.

Yeah it was darker than the previous two but still very very good stuff.

Agreed. SHR is my fave Skid Row album. Just pure power & aggression!!!!

JL

On I married S. Bach on Vh1, he said the band wrote the music for the whole next lp and just dropped it off to him to write the lyrics, he got pissed and thought the band should be together during the process of writing both music and lyrics and that was the beginning of the end. Sounds like there's more than just any one reason he was kicked out/quit.

Bach hardly wrote any lyrics for any Skid Row album, did he? I thought he co-wrote about 2 or 3 on 'Slave to the grind' and a couple more on 'Subhuman race'... but that was about is, wasn't it? Wasn't it Bolan and Snake who did the majority of songwriting?

I also quite like 'Subhuman race'. IMO, by far their weakest disc because it sounds like such a HUGE step back musically... but songs like 'Breakin' down' (one of my faves ever!), 'Into another' and 'Eileen' are great. The rest, like 'My enemy' and stuff is pretty cool if in the right mood.

I must confess that I've never heard SUBHUMAN RACE. Sounds like something I should be checking out tho... I kinda lost track of Skid Row after "B-Side Ourselves." I still dust off that cassette once in a while cuz I love the cover of the Ramones' "Psycho Therapy." Any band that gives props to the Ramones gets a gold star in my book :)

Bach hardly wrote any lyrics for any Skid Row album, did he? I thought he co-wrote about 2 or 3 on 'Slave to the grind' and a couple more on 'Subhuman race'... but that was about is, wasn't it? Wasn't it Bolan and Snake who did the majority of songwriting?

I also quite like 'Subhuman race'. IMO, by far their weakest disc because it sounds like such a HUGE step back musically... but songs like 'Breakin' down' (one of my faves ever!), 'Into another' and 'Eileen' are great. The rest, like 'My enemy' and stuff is pretty cool if in the right mood.

Come on now Geoff. You can say you don't like it as much as the others but to say it's musically a step back is crazy. It is miles ahead of the others as far as that goes...

JL

Bolan and Snake pretty much wrote everything. While Rob, Scotti, and Bas did have a co-write here and there, it was Rachael and Snake that came up with the killer songs.

I do agree that Subhuman is their weakest even though I think it's killer. The problem is the 1st two are so fucking good that Subhuman will always pale in comparison.

I must confess that I've never heard SUBHUMAN RACE. Sounds like something I should be checking out tho... I kinda lost track of Skid Row after "B-Side Ourselves." I still dust off that cassette once in a while cuz I love the cover of the Ramones' "Psycho Therapy." Any band that gives props to the Ramones gets a gold star in my book :)

Based on what Wes told me as far as what you like, you would love this cd. Let me know if you need me to send it to you on www.yousendit.com

JL

Come on now Geoff. You can say you don't like it as much as the others but to say it's musically a step back is crazy. It is miles ahead of the others as far as that goes...

JL

No way mate... sorry, but I really disagree with you there. I'm not a dashing musician myself so cannot comment on fact, but to me I was stricken by how good 'Slave to the grind' is. Heavy, melodic, awesome riffs and musical arrangements, plus that killer production. (I also love the debut too).

But, to me, even though I like the disc, 'Subhuman race' sounded a lot, sloppier, for want of a better word. The guitar was nowhere near as melodic, or well-played, IMO. More downtuned riffage and playing, without the "fancy" work of earlier albums. The vocals were not even on the same wavelength as the first 2 (though I still love Bach's vocie on it) and the overall sound and production was more "muffled" and definately, IMO, a HUGE step back from 'Slave to the grind'.

Just my opinion, of course, mate. :D

JL

No way mate... sorry, but I really disagree with you there. I'm not a dashing musician myself so cannot comment on fact, but to me I was stricken by how good 'Slave to the grind' is. Heavy, melodic, awesome riffs and musical arrangements, plus that killer production. (I also love the debut too).

But, to me, even though I like the disc, 'Subhuman race' sounded a lot, sloppier, for want of a better word. The guitar was nowhere near as melodic, or well-played, IMO. More downtuned riffage and playing, without the "fancy" work of earlier albums. The vocals were not even on the same wavelength as the first 2 (though I still love Bach's vocie on it) and the overall sound and production was more "muffled" and definately, IMO, a HUGE step back from 'Slave to the grind'.

Your opinion is always welcome brother...even if you are wrong :P

I just can't understand it I guess. To me, sonically this album sound wise was way ahead of the other two. I love Slave, and I see alot of similar things but I like the heaviness of Subhuman Race. I'll take the slow, heavy riffs as opposed to the candy-like debut anyday...let the slaying begin! :)

JL

JL

Your opinion is always welcome brother...even if you are wrong :P

I just can't understand it I guess. To me, sonically this album sound wise was way ahead of the other two. I love Slave, and I see alot of similar things but I like the heaviness of Subhuman Race. I'll take the slow, heavy riffs as opposed to the candy-like debut anyday...let the slaying begin! :)

JL

I like "Subhuman" as well but i have a major soft spot for Slave!! Pretty well the perfect album!! Da Skids at their best!! <_< Later RW

NP- Sleeze Beez - Insanity Beach

• 2023 Gold Donors

Well, I guess I'm in agreement with Geoff on this one. While I did like 'Subhuman Race', I thought that it was their weakest album. It just didn't compare to the first two (especially 'Slave To The Grind'). I'm also with Geoff about 'Breakin' down' being one of my faves ever! I really love this song and 'Wasted Time'. Actually 'B Side Ourselves' is their worst album for me, but I didn't count this one as it was cover songs and stuff they didn't write.

Based on what Wes told me as far as what you like, you would love this cd. Let me know if you need me to send it to you on www.yousendit.com

JL

I thank you for the offer bro, but Wes is gonna take care of it for me. He and I are in the midst of a trade anyway so he's going to throw that one in for me.

Here's a random Skid Row related news item that I pinched off of Blabbermouth... so I guess the rumors of a Skid Row reunion are false at least for now...

SEBASTIAN BACH: I Am Not Playing Any Concerts With SKID ROW' - May 28, 2006

Former SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach has posted the following message on his official web site:

"I am getting tired of making this announcement but everytime two-fifths of my old band does some, shows they use my picture and voice to promote their bait-and-switch 'gigs', so I will say it again:

I AM NOT IN THE BAND SKID ROW.

I HAVE BEEN SOLO SINCE 1996.

I AM NOT PLAYING ANY CONCERTS WITH SKID ROW.

I AM NOT PLAYING THE STARLAND BALLROOM WITH SKID ROW.

I AM NOT PLAYING THAT CLUB IN INDIANA WITH SKID ROW THAT HAS AN AD IN THE NEWSPAPER NEXT TO MY PICTURE THAT SAYS 'PAY $50 FOR A VIP TICKET TO MEET THE BAND!!!'

"Not only that but ...

SNAKE SABO IS NOT IN SKID ROW.

ROB AFFUSO IS NOT IN SKID ROW.

"If you go to see 'SKID ROW' in 2006, you are in fact going to see only two out of the original five members of the band."

As previously reported, Bach has been confirmed for the Udo Music Festival 2006, set to take place July 22-23 at Fuji Speedway in Mt. Fuji, Japan. Also scheduled to appear are KISS, ALICE IN CHAINS, PUSSYCAT DOLLS, STEVE VAI, GODSMACK, TAYLOR HAWKINS & THE COATTAIL RIDERS, TRIBE OF GYPSIES, PORCUPINE TREE, SOFT, MORNINGWOOD, and THE CLICK FIVE, among others.

For further festival information, click here.

Bach's long-awaited second solo album, "Angel Down" is scheduled for release before the end of the year through Spitfire Records.

Bach's current touring/recording lineup consists of the following:

Sebastian Bach - Vocals

Metal" Mike Chlasciak (HALFORD, PAINMUSEUM) - Guitar

Steve DiGiorgio (SADUS, ex-DEATH, TESTAMENT) - Bass

Bobby Jarzombek (ICED EARTH, HALFORD) - Drums

Johnny Chromatic - Guitar

Here's a random Skid Row related news item that I pinched off of Blabbermouth... so I guess the rumors of a Skid Row reunion are false at least for now...

SEBASTIAN BACH: I Am Not Playing Any Concerts With SKID ROW' - May 28, 2006

Former SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach has posted the following message on his official web site:

"I am getting tired of making this announcement but everytime two-fifths of my old band does some, shows they use my picture and voice to promote their bait-and-switch 'gigs', so I will say it again:

I AM NOT IN THE BAND SKID ROW.

I HAVE BEEN SOLO SINCE 1996.

I AM NOT PLAYING ANY CONCERTS WITH SKID ROW.

I AM NOT PLAYING THE STARLAND BALLROOM WITH SKID ROW.

I AM NOT PLAYING THAT CLUB IN INDIANA WITH SKID ROW THAT HAS AN AD IN THE NEWSPAPER NEXT TO MY PICTURE THAT SAYS 'PAY $50 FOR A VIP TICKET TO MEET THE BAND!!!'

"Not only that but ...

SNAKE SABO IS NOT IN SKID ROW.

ROB AFFUSO IS NOT IN SKID ROW.

"If you go to see 'SKID ROW' in 2006, you are in fact going to see only two out of the original five members of the band."

As previously reported, Bach has been confirmed for the Udo Music Festival 2006, set to take place July 22-23 at Fuji Speedway in Mt. Fuji, Japan. Also scheduled to appear are KISS, ALICE IN CHAINS, PUSSYCAT DOLLS, STEVE VAI, GODSMACK, TAYLOR HAWKINS & THE COATTAIL RIDERS, TRIBE OF GYPSIES, PORCUPINE TREE, SOFT, MORNINGWOOD, and THE CLICK FIVE, among others.

For further festival information, click here.

Bach's long-awaited second solo album, "Angel Down" is scheduled for release before the end of the year through Spitfire Records.

Bach's current touring/recording lineup consists of the following:

Sebastian Bach - Vocals

Metal" Mike Chlasciak (HALFORD, PAINMUSEUM) - Guitar

Steve DiGiorgio (SADUS, ex-DEATH, TESTAMENT) - Bass

Bobby Jarzombek (ICED EARTH, HALFORD) - Drums

Johnny Chromatic - Guitar

I knew Snake was having some problems but I didn't know he wasn't in the band. Maybe he's just not touring right now. How can he not be in the band because it was his band.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Maybe the "reason" :anon: they split up was the old, classic & for the most part oft used reason/excuse/explanation of "artistic differences" :blink: which tends to get used with most bands/members when they need a break from each other (like a vacation wouldn't do the trick? :crazy: , hell, some bands take years off/away from each other and/or in between recording sessions, tours or P.R. stuff), but it may have been the boozin', the broa...(no offense to the any/all ladies :) ) er, ladies :tits:;) & then you have the record exec's wanting/waiting for the next "hit" single or record, lol, cd, well, whatever. :doh: Oh, & then there's that little thing named druuuuuggs' involvement for :crazy::hammer::screwy::yikes: all the ingredients of a split up, not to mention probably lack of ideas for new material, in some cases. :whistle: Thas IMO, of course I could be wrong! :drink::bananamac: