First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Blue Oyster Cult - Cultosaurus Erectus

Really not sure to make of this, will persevere as always but really not what I expected.

a great one man, let it sink in Lips!!! my fav BOC after STreaties!!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Petra - 'Unseen power' ; Frustrating band. So much about them indicates they should be good, but they're just not. Songs range from the almost excellent 'I Need to Hear From You' (which reminds me of The Brave) and 'Destiny' (good opener) to the shocking shit like 'Ready, Willing and Able', 'Hand on My Heart' or 'Dance'. Aside from that you have some half decent songs, but I just really think that they plain and simply do not have the song writing talent to mix it with "proper" bands. Even 'I Need to Hear From You', which is the highlight, could so easily have been amazing with one or two tweaks in that chorus. But they just don't have that quality, imo. There were a few okay songs on this and a great sound, but I can't see myself holding onto it. Will spin it a few more times, though.

I keep that album purely because of "I Need to Hear From You" - great song. One their weaker albums overall though...

I keep it because its an awesome album and to spite both of you because you truely are Pooheads.

Killer Bee - Cracked Up

Not impressed with this so far. First track sounded promising, but overall I didn't enjoy the album on initial listen.

Moritz - Undivided

One of the UK's lost bands of the AOR era return with a brand spanking new 12 track album, featuring impressively, the same lineup that recorded during the mid 80's. First noticeable difference here obviously is the slightly more guitar orientated, less 80's keyboard sound that they went with previously. Think maybe a more punchy, less keyboard orientated 101 South and also the excellent Virginia Wolf in spots aswell, for a rough idea. There are some good songs on here, especially 'Undivided'(nice dut dut keys), 'Any Time At All', 'Who Do You Run To' ballad 'Lonely Without You', 'World Keep Turning' and 'Can't Get Away' (great chorus), although I must admit, I enjoyed mostly all of the tunes on here and there are no real clunkers. For a self released/produced disc this sounds quite good too, a nice punchy live sound (although the drums are a little lumpy & weak in spots) with some nice keys, subtle solos and a generally good vocals throught. This certainly won't challenge the Treat's and H.E.A.T's of this world come years end, but it certainly may make a cheeky little impression at the lower end of the list.

Very keen to hear that Moritz disc.

The Thornbirds - 'All the same' ; got this one recently because it's the side project of two of the guys from Steel Panther, with the guitarist writing all the songs (but one, which the other dude from Steel Panther writes). It reminds me of when bands like Harem Scarem turned into Rubber. Pointless, throwaway modern rock with "funny" (a lot more M/MA rated than Steel Panther) lyrics and simple hooks, but really not an ounce of substance at all. It's all very slow paced and drab too. Would I keep it if it didn't have members of Steel Panther in it? Hell no. Will I keep it even though it does? Possibly, because I couldn't sell it for anything worthwhile. In it's defence there are maybe 2 or 3 decent tracks on here, but even they probably have the lifespan of a corpse.

Yep - It sure ain't as polished as Treat etc, but some cool tunes all the same. ;)

The Thornbirds - 'All the same' ; got this one recently because it's the side project of two of the guys from Steel Panther, with the guitarist writing all the songs (but one, which the other dude from Steel Panther writes). It reminds me of when bands like Harem Scarem turned into Rubber. Pointless, throwaway modern rock with "funny" (a lot more M/MA rated than Steel Panther) lyrics and simple hooks, but really not an ounce of substance at all. It's all very slow paced and drab too. Would I keep it if it didn't have members of Steel Panther in it? Hell no. Will I keep it even though it does? Possibly, because I couldn't sell it for anything worthwhile. In it's defence there are maybe 2 or 3 decent tracks on here, but even they probably have the lifespan of a corpse.

:anon: Ahh well. What were the 2 or 3 tracks you liked on there?

:anon: Ahh well. What were the 2 or 3 tracks you liked on there?

Haha, nah, still glad I heard it mate. The tracks I thought were pretty cool were:

All The Same ; kind of dreary for an opener, but not bad.

Internet Xplorer ; kind of humerous and a cool tune.

Best Friend Kay ; another pretty cool one, almost balladic.

Lie To Me ; half decent.

Hold On To Jane ; another kind of cool balladic tune.

Thought You Should Know ; and again, pretty sweet ballad.

I was pretty harsh on it and it isn't my scene, but I've heard a lot of worse CDs. On a positive note, spinning that Crashbox CD you recommended and man is the 2nd spin killing the 1st spin. A good little CD. End of the day, I paid a total of about $5 for the 2 CDs combined so all is well. :)

Sevendust - Cold Day Memory(Special Edition w/DVD)

This is the return of Clint Lowery as he'd been gone for the last 3 discs off doing his band Dark New Day and was in Korn for a minute or two. This band seemed to be missing something in his absence as he always co-wrote most of the music and about half of the lyrics and was a big part vocally. This disc is by far the best thing they've done since the "Seasons" disc IMO. Clint has added almost a death growl on some of the heavier tunes for background vocals to mix in with Morgan Rose's higher pitched background screams. Fav songs so far are "Unravelling", "Forever", "Last Breath", "Karma", "Confessions(Without Faith)", "Better Place" and "Splinter". The heavier tunes seem to be heavier than before but there's still plenty of those classic melodic sounding Sevendust tunes thrown in as well and Lajon sounds great as usual. So far this disc kind of reminds me of a mix of the "Home" and "Animosity" discs but with a better production from Johnny K. You get a cool "making of the cd" DVD as well that's about an hour and 15 minutes long.

This is the return of Clint Lowery as he'd been gone for the last 3 discs off doing his band Dark New Day and was in Korn for a minute or two. This band seemed to be missing something in his absence as he always co-wrote most of the music and about half of the lyrics and was a big part vocally. This disc is by far the best thing they've done since the "Seasons" disc IMO. Clint has added almost a death growl on some of the heavier tunes for background vocals to mix in with Morgan Rose's higher pitched background screams. Fav songs so far are "Unravelling", "Forever", "Last Breath", "Karma", "Confessions(Without Faith)", "Better Place" and "Splinter". The heavier tunes seem to be heavier than before but there's still plenty of those classic melodic sounding Sevendust tunes thrown in as well and Lajon sounds great as usual. So far this disc kind of reminds me of a mix of the "Home" and "Animosity" discs but with a better production from Johnny K. You get a cool "making of the cd" DVD as well that's about an hour and 15 minutes long.

Do I dare even give this a listen, or just not bother? Is there one song on there at a different pace to the last few albums, or is it all still that slow, drudgy nu-metal? It took a lot to bother spinning the last one and it was one of the biggest wastes of time of my life. Do I just call it a day with these guys and spare the effort or is the melodic stuff you speak of worthwhile?

Do I dare even give this a listen, or just not bother? Is there one song on there at a different pace to the last few albums, or is it all still that slow, drudgy nu-metal? It took a lot to bother spinning the last one and it was one of the biggest wastes of time of my life. Do I just call it a day with these guys and spare the effort or is the melodic stuff you speak of worthwhile?

The only discs I could see you liking is 'Animosity' or 'Seasons'.

I think this one would be to heavy in places for you to like but I could be wrong.

I think this one would be to heavy in places for you to like but I could be wrong.

Haha. Not sure about that one, cousin. Sevendust may be a lot of things for me, but 'too heavy' is definitely not one of those things I'd ever entertain. I've owned the majority of their albums, and even liked one for a short while - either 'Next' or 'Seasons' - whichever one had a couple of melodic tunes on it. But in the end I either sold, traded or put them all on my trade list. Too samey and repetitive and that nu-metal style lasted about a year with me before I hated every nu-metal band ever, except Trust Company and Seven Wiser. Absolutely hated 'Animosity' too, which I tried via MP3 only. Half of me thinks I should throw this on my Ipod for a chance, but the other half just doesn't want to bother...

Haha. Not sure about that one, cousin. Sevendust may be a lot of things for me, but 'too heavy' is definitely not one of those things I'd ever entertain. I've owned the majority of their albums, and even liked one for a short while - either 'Next' or 'Seasons' - whichever one had a couple of melodic tunes on it. But in the end I either sold, traded or put them all on my trade list. Too samey and repetitive and that nu-metal style lasted about a year with me before I hated every nu-metal band ever, except Trust Company and Seven Wiser. Absolutely hated 'Animosity' too, which I tried via MP3 only. Half of me thinks I should throw this on my Ipod for a chance, but the other half just doesn't want to bother...

I think you're better off with your tastes to put together a 15 song playlist of their more melodic or raido friendly tunes. I would say 'Animosity' had some of their more melodic moments with "Live Again", "Angels Son", "Follow", "Shine", "Praise" and "Xmas Day". Their the only NuMetal era band that I really liked and have continued to follow mostly due to the fact that they never rapped like everyone else and that Lajon Witherspoon is a great vocalist.

St Warren - Return To Honest Planet

Quite a heavy album, which is good in my book, with some nice guitar work, but the big let down is the choruses. I found the choruses dull and uninspiring, which made the album really average. Exception what 'All That I Am', which I liked. 'Now' is a dreadful song in my opinion.

Overkill - Ironbound

It's Overkill and it's good. Don't really need to say much more. Would just mention that first track, 'The Green And Black', which I've read good things about and found okay, but nothing spectacular. ‘The Head and Heart’ is probably my favourite track so far, a little bit different, but still great Overkill.

Quite a heavy album, which is good in my book, with some nice guitar work, but the big let down is the choruses. I found the choruses dull and uninspiring, which made the album really average. Exception what 'All That I Am', which I liked. 'Now' is a dreadful song in my opinion.

Is it worth buying if I have the original "Honest Planet" ? Just for the 2 new tracks ? :unsure:

Really not sure to make of this, will persevere as always but really not what I expected.

One of their best imo. Superb album.

Then I will like it eventually :beerbang:

I`ll be trying again with this shortly :tumbsup:

I`ll be trying again with this shortly :tumbsup:

Second only to "Fire of Unknown Origin" IMO....

Godsmack "The Oracle" Just picked this up today and played it through once?? Pretty damn Good!! Though I think it may take a few spins to really grow on Me.. Has a few standout tracks, like the album opener "Cryin like a Bitch!" But the rest of the album stands up pretty good too.... :headbanger:

Is it worth buying if I have the original "Honest Planet" ? Just for the 2 new tracks ? :unsure:

Can anyone else advise - I'm not the right person to ask as I don't think the album is that great and never had the original.

Can anyone else advise - I'm not the right person to ask as I don't think the album is that great and never had the original.

I like the 2 new songs, but being the tight-ass I am I can't recommend buying it again for these 2 songs alone, unless you sell your original to buy the new one with the rewards from it's sale. :)

Sven Larsson - Sunlight & Shadows

Sweet Westcoast/AOR stuff ala Street Talk (Fredrik Bergh plays keys on here) Toto and maybe a dash of Steely Dan thrown into the pot. Quite eclectic stylewise from the opening AOR of 'Sunlight And Shadow' and the excellent 'Eagle' to the more diverse instrumentals in 'Tube' and 'Candy', more upbeat rockers 'I'll Turn My Back' and sweet ballads like 'It's Over'. Sven is a very tasty little player aswell, with some lovely subtle solo's throughout and along with a lovely crisp production job, this makes a very nice little disc indeed.

Sedona - Golden Valley

As with the Sven Larsson album, another Avenue Of Allies release, this one from French band Sedona, released initially back in 1995 and given the re-issue treatment. This is a new one on me and it is another sweet little Westcoast/AOR disc. Once again, a nice mixture of uptempo stuff like 'Surfing State Of Mind','Rock Board', a nice fusion type instrumental in 'Sedona' plus some nice wimpy Westcoast balladeering aswell. Well worth checking it out if you are into Tim Feehan, King Of Hearts, Joseph Williams, Beckett and Toto.

Badd Boyz - s/t

Really should have done my research on this one. I had no idea the first four tracks were on the Mitch Perry Projects CD, so I already have them. The other four tracks are quite soft. Always a pleasure to listen to Shortino's voice, but for me he shines on the heavier, more upbeat tracks. An enormous disappointment.

Unchain - s/t

Quite a mixture of rock styles on this CD, including some decent songs. However, there are too many ballads for my tastes (3 or 4 out of 9 tracks) and I thought all of them were terrible.

Without Love - Trouble

I'll probably get shot down for this, but I wasn't blown away by this album. Some good hard rock tunes here and there, but I was bored by the end of the CD. Hopefully some gems will reveal themselves on repeated listens...

STORY OF THE YEAR: "The Constant"

One of the truly excellent modern hard rock/metal bands that manages to effortlessly merge melody with heaviness, delivering a powerful sonic kick to the ear drums. Of course, comparing this latest CD to their previous stuff is inevitable, and I find it ranks behind "In the Wake of Determination" and "Black Swan," but not by much; the distance separating all 3 albums isn't enough for a fly to fit through. The sound remains pretty much unaltered, utilizing thick guitars, fierce singing (mostly clean with a few screams here & there), catchy choruses, and plenty of big backing vocals. Not sure where this will end up in the 2010 modern metal rankings, but right now it's sitting comfortably at or at least near the top. I do think it was a mistake to start the CD off with a children's choir, but that's just me nitpicking, 'cause the song is good (though not one of the best). Bottom line, this band constantly releases quality albums and this one is no different.