Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

"Truck Turner" (1974)

Soul legend Isaac Hayes is Mac "Truck" Turner, the most bad-ass skip tracer and bounty hunter in L.A. When he kills the city's most powerful pimp during a shootout, the dude's grieving girlfriend and business partner (Nichelle "Lt. Uhura" Nichols!) puts a price on Truck's head, and soon every bad mo-fo in the city is gunning for him. 
This blaxploitation classic is tons of sleazy, action packed fun. Groove on the outrageous fashions, the hair, the slang, and especially the funk-tastic soundtrack. Pure '70s gold.

"The Burning" (1981)

A gang of summer campers plays a fiery prank on "Cropsey," the cranky ol' caretaker -- which goes horribly wrong and burns the poor bastard alive. Five years later, a mysterious figure who wields a mean pair o' garden shears starts picking off a new crew of camp counselors. 
This is very familiar territory, of course (see: any random "Friday the 13th," "Madman," "Sleepaway Camp," etc.) but "The Burning" was a cut (sorry) above most of its summer-camp splatter competition, due to the truly nasty gore effects from carnage wizard Tom Savini. 
Watch for a young Jason Alexander of future "Seinfeld" fame (with hair!) as one of the potential victims. Fisher Stevens, later of "Short Circuit," also makes an appearance and supposedly a young Holly "Raising Arizona" Hunter is in here too as one of the campers, but I couldn't pick her out.

Extra useless trivia: this film was the very first production from Harvey Weinstein's now-famous Miramax studio. Of course,  ol' Harvey has been all over the news this past week due to some supposed improper conduct towards the women who work for him... :rofl2: 

• My Little Pony
22 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

"Truck Turner" (1974)

Soul legend Isaac Hayes is Mac "Truck" Turner, the most bad-ass skip tracer and bounty hunter in L.A. When he kills the city's most powerful pimp during a shootout, the dude's grieving girlfriend and business partner (Nichelle "Lt. Uhura" Nichols!) puts a price on Truck's head, and soon every bad mo-fo in the city is gunning for him. 
This blaxploitation classic is tons of sleazy, action packed fun. Groove on the outrageous fashions, the hair, the slang, and especially the funk-tastic soundtrack. Pure '70s gold.

Sounds like my kinda film!!

2 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Sounds like my kinda film!!

It's a shitload of fun. Of course, since I mainly know Isaac Hayes as the voice of "Chef" on South Park, it made everything he said or did that much funnier. I kept waiting for Truck to say "Hello, children!" :rofl2:

I read a great review of it that suggested a "Truck Turner" drinking game: take a drink every time anyone says "bitch" or calls someone the n-word... but they're both said so often, I'd be dead by the 30 minute mark. Haha

...Oh oh oh, and the pimp funeral scene is f**king legend. It's worth sitting through the entire movie just for that bit. Haha!

"Hush" (2016)

A deaf/mute woman who lives alone in an isolated cabin has to fight off a murderous and very determined home invader...but if he thinks she's going to go down easy, he picked the wrong house. This taut little suspense/horror/thriller is kinda like a 21st century update/twist on the '60s Audrey Hepburn flick "Wait Until Dark." Cool stuff, sucked me in right from the get-go. Definitely worth a look.

"Gerald's Game" (2017)

Looking to re-ignite the spark in their love life, a married couple heads off to a secluded beach house for some private sexy time, which includes handcuffing Wifey to the bed. Unfortunately Hubby then drops dead of a sudden heart attack, leaving her trapped and alone. Soon she learns that in order to escape her current situation, she'll have to overcome some demons from her past as well. 
A tight, disturbing, well done psychological thriller based on Stephen King's novel. Kudos to Carla Gugino's performance as the trapped wife, since she plays a good chunk of this movie as a one-woman show.

"Jaws 2" (1978)

Amity Island's Police Chief Brody has another shark problem - and this time the toothy sucker has its sights set on a group of local teenagers out for a day of sailing. 
"Jaws 2" doesn't come anywhere close to matching the suspense or craftsmanship of its predecessor, of course, but it's an enjoyable creature feature in its own right. After this flick, however, the "Jaws" franchise went straight down the poop chute and never returned.

• My Little Pony

Blade Runner: 2049 (2017)

Really good! Oh, my! I wasn't so sure if they could capture the vibe and atmosphere of the original, but they nailed it. The cinematography was amazing! The score was phenomenal! If you're a fan of the original, you should enjoy this. If you're a fan of Sci-Fi, you will be wet!

Alien: Covenant (2016)

This film got shat on by all my hardcore Aliens friends, so I didn't bother watching it when it was still on the silver screen. Now I'm regretting that. I enjoyed it. I thought it added a lot to the mythos. 

Life (2016)

Another interesting Sci-Fi flick. I didn't hear much about this while it was in theatres. Would have been cool on the big screen. 

In Bruges (2008)

This one has to be considered a modern classic. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are great together. I forgot how funny this was. 

"Halloween III: Season of the Witch" (1982)

A small town doctor (Tom "Escape From New York" Atkins) gets caught up in a plot to commit high tech human sacrifice on Halloween night, using specially programmed masks and a devious TV signal. 
...this totally entertaining,  completely batsh*t mix of '50s paranoid sci-fi and splashy '80s gore tried its best to send the "Halloween" franchise off into a new, Michael Myers-free direction, but failed spectacularly at the box office....which is a shame, because it's still a fun watch today. "III" is just about the only "Halloween" movie I'm not completely sick of. 

"Cult of Chucky" (2017)

In the seventh (!) "Child's Play" installment,  wheelchair-bound Nica (sole survivor of the previous chapter) is locked up in a mental hospital. Therapy has convinced her that "Chucky" was just a figment of her imagination and that she was responsible for all of the carnage in the prior film. Of course, things get complicated when Chucky shows up in the flesh - err, plastic -- and starts carving up her fellow patients. 
Part old school slasher flick, part psycho-thriller, and all big dumb gory fun, this actually makes the second decent "Chucky" movie in a row.  Not bad for a franchise that I wrote off twenty plus years ago. Who'da thunk it?

The Lost Boys (1987)

My favorite movie. I am a huge Vampire fanatic. Stars Keifer Sutherland, Jason Patrick, both Coreys(Haim and Feldman), Jami Gertz, Dianne Weist, Edward Hermann

Then Beetlejuice (1988) came on. I am sure everyone knows that movie/ Love Winona's goth look in this one

On 10/13/2017 at 12:53 AM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Blade Runner: 2049 (2017)

Really good! Oh, my! I wasn't so sure if they could capture the vibe and atmosphere of the original, but they nailed it. The cinematography was amazing! The score was phenomenal! If you're a fan of the original, you should enjoy this. If you're a fan of Sci-Fi, you will be wet!

Alien: Covenant (2016)

This film got shat on by all my hardcore Aliens friends, so I didn't bother watching it when it was still on the silver screen. Now I'm regretting that. I enjoyed it. I thought it added a lot to the mythos. 

Life (2016)

Another interesting Sci-Fi flick. I didn't hear much about this while it was in theatres. Would have been cool on the big screen. 

In Bruges (2008)

This one has to be considered a modern classic. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson are great together. I forgot how funny this was. 

I heard the BR 2049 score is supposed to pay homage to the Vangelis original score, I may take you on your word on the excellence of the film, I want it to be but goodness I dislike Ryan Gossling.

Alien Covenant is/was quite awesome and yes folks poo poo'd it but I don't get it. I rather liked it and it and 2012's Prometheus are great new additions to a promising Alien future.

"The Babysitter" (2017)

12 year old Cole might be a bit of a scaredy-cat, but he still doesn't think his parents need to hire a babysitter for him... that is, until his blonde, leggy teenage dream girl from down the street shows up at the door.  Unfortunately, in addition to her awesome babysitting skills "Bee" also happens to be a member of a Satanic cult who needs Cole's "blood of an innocent" to complete a ritual. Hilarity ensues. This bizarre blend of horror comedy and coming of age story (yes, seriously) has a lot of laughs, but it doesn't skimp on the gore, either. A pleasant surprise. 

8 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

"The Babysitter" (2017)

12 year old Cole might be a bit of a scaredy-cat, but he still doesn't think his parents need to hire a babysitter for him... that is, until his blonde, leggy teenage dream girl from down the street shows up at the door.  Unfortunately, in addition to her awesome babysitting skills "Bee" also happens to be a member of a Satanic cult who needs Cole's "blood of an innocent" to complete a ritual. Hilarity ensues. This bizarre blend of horror comedy and coming of age story (yes, seriously) has a lot of laughs, but it doesn't skimp on the gore, either. A pleasant surprise. 

That does look good.

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 hours ago, nyoilers said:

Hellraiser III

Great soundtrack to this one as well. I remember seeing it at the cinema when it was first released. I had no idea about the soundtrack,  so it was a nice surprise to hear House Of Lords in particular. This movie also got me on to the "Edge of Excess" album by Triumph, which is one of my favourites. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

Great soundtrack to this one as well. I remember seeing it at the cinema when it was first released. I had no idea about the soundtrack,  so it was a nice surprise to hear House Of Lords in particular. This movie also got me on to the "Edge of Excess" album by Triumph, which is one of my favourites. 

I think Armored Saint was in the movie

"Never Hike Alone" (2017)

While video-blogging his hike through the Catskill Mountains, a backpacker stumbles across the ruins of Camp Crystal Lake -- and soon learns that its most famous resident isn't an urban legend after all. 
This Friday the 13th "fan film" (available for free on YouTube) is a way-cool salute to the classic horror film series and a pretty damn decent suspense thriller in its own right. A lot of "fan films" are cheap crap but this one is worth watching -- it obviously had  decent financial backing and was done by people with actual filmmaking skills. Well done, folks.

Took my sons to see Lego Ninjago movie on tues...wasn't too bad,not as immediate as the other lego movies but I'm sure with more views a few more of the jokes will catch on...enjoyed the sharks yum yum yum :)

"The Redwood Massacre" (2015)

Campers encounter a hulking masked axe murderer at an abandoned house in the British countryside. Yup, that's the whole plot. We've seen this movie a thousand times before, except this time everybody's got English accents. 
AVOID.

John Wick 2 - ok, not much of a plot, just fighting and shooting. Video for Paula Abdul's "Rush Rush" probably had more plot than this flick heh heh

47 Meters Down - nice for fans of shark movies, similar to Open Water or The Shallows, but not as good imho

How to be a Latin Lover - goofy but enjoyable comedy

Baywatch - I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, fun flick. And Kelly Rohrbach is very attractive, good eye candy.

On 10/21/2017 at 5:39 PM, Fat Freddy said:

"Never Hike Alone" (2017)

While video-blogging his hike through the Catskill Mountains, a backpacker stumbles across the ruins of Camp Crystal Lake -- and soon learns that its most famous resident isn't an urban legend after all. 
This Friday the 13th "fan film" (available for free on YouTube) is a way-cool salute to the classic horror film series and a pretty damn decent suspense thriller in its own right. A lot of "fan films" are cheap crap but this one is worth watching -- it obviously had  decent financial backing and was done by people with actual filmmaking skills. Well done, folks.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one, as I had no idea it existed, and I'm a huge Jason fan. Watched it last night and you're right, it's incredibly well-done. Took a little longer than necessary for the Jason action to kick in, but when it did, it delivered the goods, and I had a blast. Personally, I thought the film should have ended with that scene at the lake, because the whole ambulance sequence lacked any real punch, but hey, that's just me. No matter how you (machete) slice it, any Friday the 13th aficionado should check this flick out.