Mick Mars - The Other Side of Mars (Solo album coming Feb 23, 2024)

whiplash1972

First single “Loyal to the Lie”

Track List for The Other Side of Mars:
01. Loyal To The Lie
02. Broken On The Inside
03. Alone
04. Killing Breed
05. Memories
06. Right Side of Wrong
07. Ready To Roll
08. Undone
09. Ain’t Going Back
10. LA Noir

IMG_5716.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Who's the vocalist?

Musicians on the upcoming album include Winger and former Alice Cooper keyboardist Paul Taylor, vocalist Jacob Bunton, Korn drummer Ray Luzier and bassist Chris Collier, while singer Brion Gamboa contributes to two tracks (Undone & Killing Breed).

12 minutes ago, whiplash1972 said:

Musicians on the upcoming album include Winger and former Alice Cooper keyboardist Paul Taylor, vocalist Jacob Bunton, Korn drummer Ray Luzier and bassist Chris Collier, while singer Brion Gamboa contributes to two tracks (Undone & Killing Breed).

Great see Jacob in from the producer's seat, to front a band again.

4 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

First thing I thought of with that song is "That sounds like the guy from Adler"

Not a bad tune. Big riffage... I don't mind it at all. Glad to see this one finally getting some kind of release date. Big sound. 

MICK MARS Explains Why Songs He Recorded With JOHN CORABI Didn't Make His Solo Album

During an appearance on yesterday's (Tuesday, October 31) episode of SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk", MÖTLEY CRÜE guitarist Mick Mars was asked why the songs he recorded back in 2016 with former MÖTLEY CRÜE singer John Corabi are not included on his upcoming debut solo album, "The Other Side Of Mars". Mick said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I felt the songs were just a little — not strong enough. And there is a certain person that kind of interfered with that. And I'm not gonna say his name, but he kind of like messed some things up. The songs were wrong, parts in there that shouldn't be there and blah blah blah. It isn't a long story, but it was kind of like, 'That ain't gonna fly.' So I shelved it."

Asked by host Eddie Trunk to clarify that it was a third party who was involved in the project — not Corabi — who "kind of mucked it up," Mick said: "[I was] kind of duped — that's all I have to say — by a third party. And that's it. That's all. I got rid of him and went on and searched for other people. I mean, look, I found [producer] Michael Wagener after a while. He lives just down the street."

Back in 2016, Mars released snippets of two solo songs, apparently called "Gimme Blood" and "Shake The Cage". The tracks, which were recorded at Blackbird Studio in Nashville, where Mars has lived for about a decade, featured Corabi, who appeared on CRÜE's 1994 self-titled album. Corabilater said that he didn't contribute to the writing process for the two songs, but that he was open to collaborating with Mars on some brand new material.

During a December 2021 Facebook Livesession, Corabi was asked about the fate of the material he recorded with Mars. He responded: "A couple of years ago, Mick asked me to sing a couple of songs, and I did it. He put snippets of them out, but he's gone on to do a full record. And as of right now, I have no idea whether or not Mick is using those songs. It's Mick's solo record. He just asked me to sing two tunes. Unfortunately… I wanted to do more, and Mick wanted me to do more, but I wasn't able to, because of my schedule and because of Mick's schedule. So we'll all just have to wait and see. I'm as excited to hear Mick's record as you are. And we'll see. Hopefully he used those songs. Maybe he didn't. I don't know."

Birmingham, Alabama rocker Jacob Bunton collaborated extensively with Mars on "The Other Side Of Mars", which will arrive on February 23, 2024 via Mick's own label 1313, LLC, in partnership with MRI.

Bunton had previously collaborated with former GUNS N' ROSES drummer Steven Adler and CINDERELLA frontman Tom Keifer, and has songwriting credits with Mariah Carey, Steven Tyler and Smokey Robinson, among others.

Bunton sings lead on all but two of the 12 songs on "The Other Side Of Mars".

Other guests on the LP include WINGER/ALICE COOPER keyboardist Paul Taylor, KORN drummer Ray Luzier, and Brion Gamboa, who handled lead vocals on the songs "Undone" and "Killing Breed".

Bunton previously fronted the Alabama bands MARS ELECTRIC and LYNAM.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whiplash1972 said:

MICK MARS Explains Why Songs He Recorded With JOHN CORABI Didn't Make His Solo Album

During an appearance on yesterday's (Tuesday, October 31) episode of SiriusXM's "Trunk Nation With Eddie Trunk", MÖTLEY CRÜE guitarist Mick Mars was asked why the songs he recorded back in 2016 with former MÖTLEY CRÜE singer John Corabi are not included on his upcoming debut solo album, "The Other Side Of Mars". Mick said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "I felt the songs were just a little — not strong enough. And there is a certain person that kind of interfered with that. And I'm not gonna say his name, but he kind of like messed some things up. The songs were wrong, parts in there that shouldn't be there and blah blah blah. It isn't a long story, but it was kind of like, 'That ain't gonna fly.' So I shelved it."

Asked by host Eddie Trunk to clarify that it was a third party who was involved in the project — not Corabi — who "kind of mucked it up," Mick said: "[I was] kind of duped — that's all I have to say — by a third party. And that's it. That's all. I got rid of him and went on and searched for other people. I mean, look, I found [producer] Michael Wagener after a while. He lives just down the street."

Back in 2016, Mars released snippets of two solo songs, apparently called "Gimme Blood" and "Shake The Cage". The tracks, which were recorded at Blackbird Studio in Nashville, where Mars has lived for about a decade, featured Corabi, who appeared on CRÜE's 1994 self-titled album. Corabilater said that he didn't contribute to the writing process for the two songs, but that he was open to collaborating with Mars on some brand new material.

During a December 2021 Facebook Livesession, Corabi was asked about the fate of the material he recorded with Mars. He responded: "A couple of years ago, Mick asked me to sing a couple of songs, and I did it. He put snippets of them out, but he's gone on to do a full record. And as of right now, I have no idea whether or not Mick is using those songs. It's Mick's solo record. He just asked me to sing two tunes. Unfortunately… I wanted to do more, and Mick wanted me to do more, but I wasn't able to, because of my schedule and because of Mick's schedule. So we'll all just have to wait and see. I'm as excited to hear Mick's record as you are. And we'll see. Hopefully he used those songs. Maybe he didn't. I don't know."

Birmingham, Alabama rocker Jacob Bunton collaborated extensively with Mars on "The Other Side Of Mars", which will arrive on February 23, 2024 via Mick's own label 1313, LLC, in partnership with MRI.

Bunton had previously collaborated with former GUNS N' ROSES drummer Steven Adler and CINDERELLA frontman Tom Keifer, and has songwriting credits with Mariah Carey, Steven Tyler and Smokey Robinson, among others.

Other guests on the LP include WINGER/ALICE COOPER keyboardist Paul Taylor, KORN drummer Ray Luzier, and Brion Gamboa, who handled lead vocals on the songs "Undone" and "Killing Breed".

They should record together under the name Motley Scrued

• Haha 1

• My Little Pony
44 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

They should record together under the name Motley Scrued

With umlauts over every consonant? 

;}

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

Oh, it's too bad he didn't use Corabi for this album. That would have been dope. Hopefully they collaborate again in the future.

1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Oh, it's too bad he didn't use Corabi for this album. That would have been dope. Hopefully they collaborate again in the future.

Agreed. I think the "Gimme Blood" track in particular showed great promise. 

I wish Mick would just say exactly who it was who "mucked it up" for the Mars/Corabi project. It seems like it might be whoever was producing the affair, as he then immediately mentioned finding Michael Wagener. :ninja:

3 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

I wish Mick would just say exactly who it was who "mucked it up" for the Mars/Corabi project. It seems like it might be whoever was producing the affair, as he then immediately mentioned finding Michael Wagener. :ninja:

Haha, yep, I hate that kind of vagueness. I always think either say it, or just don't mention it at all. 

I assumed he might be talking about Nikki Sixx maybe getting his hands all over it and turning into his own project, but like you say, was it just another random producer? Reading these things aren't good for curious minds. 

Either way, both songs sound like pretty solid heavy rockers. 

On a side note, had no idea Bunton was such a prolific songwriter. He's certainly been around the traps throughout his career. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

New track “Undone”

• Like 1

I like all 3 tracks released so far, especially “Right Side of Wrong” :headbanger:

Mick is starting to show who the real talent was in Motley Crue. For me he has always been underrated as a guitarist purely because of the band he was in.

I remember an interview on one of the VHS tapes they released years ago (at least I think it was) where he said he does not understand why so many guitarists practice the songs they play before gigs, and he said if you don't know the songs by now, you never will and that he prefers to do random stuff and come up with new idea. He also said he does not care if what he plays is technically right, he just cares if it sounds good.

On 1/25/2024 at 8:40 PM, Captain Howdy said:

Mick is starting to show who the real talent was in Motley Crue. For me he has always been underrated as a guitarist purely because of the band he was in.

Starting?

If anyone didn't realize he was the best musician in the band then they weren't paying attention. It certainly wasn't Vince or Nikki...

Mick rocks, I hope this album is a smash hit especially for all the shit those other guys have put him through.

2 minutes ago, Eric3 said:

Starting?

If anyone didn't realize he was the best musician in the band then they weren't paying attention. It certainly wasn't Vince or Nikki...

Mick rocks, I hope this album is a smash hit especially for all the shit those other guys have put him through.

The point is, outside of the diehard fans, Mick was always the quiet man in the background with the other three getting all the attention. You have to remember that there are a lot of people out there who don't know everything about bands they listen to and believe what is spoon fed to them.

How often did Mick get recognition? Not very often.

• Like 1