Vixen - Red

Stefan

• Stefan changed the title to Vixen - Red

Hard to call it Vixen, but that's a damn good tune. Nice. 

It's a tricky situation, the Vixen one. It'd be nice if Share was there, but in terms of vocals, in all honesty, Lorraine Lewis does a pretty fine job here and there's something a bit less "shit" about her fronting the band, considering they were from the same era. It's kind of cool in a way.

If it wasn't called Vixen, the blend of the two bands would be a pretty cool idea anyway. Because the sad reality is - and anyone who heard the last Janet Gardener album would have to agree - that there's no way Janet Gardener could deliver a vocal performance anywhere near the same ballpark as this. Her Vixen fronting days very sadly seem to be well behind her, so good luck to the Lorraine Lewis fronted version. Hopefully Share returns to make it a bit more, shall we say, Vixeny.  

Lorraine Lewis does a great job, but I still prefer Janet Gardner.

This just doesn't feel like Vixen, it's like a shitty pop-punk kind of song, by Vixen's drummer, an 80's rock singer and 2 random female musician's who happened to fit the mold.

Despite the horrible production, I actually preferred the album by the version of Vixen with just Jan over this...

Evidently Fred Courey wrote some stuff to submit to Halestorm, and Lzzy Hale didn't return his calls.  So Vixen picked it up.

I wonder if there's a new album or just this one-off single?

36 minutes ago, EnJayKay said:

Lorraine Lewis does a great job, but I still prefer Janet Gardner.

This just doesn't feel like Vixen, it's like a shitty pop-punk kind of song, by Vixen's drummer, an 80's rock singer and 2 random female musician's who happened to fit the mold.

Despite the horrible production, I actually preferred the album by the version of Vixen with just Jan over this...

Evidently Fred Courey wrote some stuff to submit to Halestorm, and Lzzy Hale didn't return his calls.  So Vixen picked it up.

I wonder if there's a new album or just this one-off single?

100% I would prefer Janet Gardner in full flight. But have you heard her 'No Strings' album from this year? Some of the songs are excellent. It's a good album, but her voice - from out of nowhere, for me, personally - is suddenly completely shot. 

This is a great tune and one of the "better" vocal efforts;

Another great song, but those vocals. I'm just not sure I'd prefer her voice on new Vixen material compared to how Lorraine Lewis sounds by comparison these days. 

I also understand this goes completely against what I'd say in every other instance of this type of thing happening, but I was just so surprised to hear Janet's vocals on the new album, after she sounded fine on recent output. This was her three years ago (about the time I saw her live), where she still sounds like Janet Gardner;

Anyway, I also agree the new song sounds nothing like Vixen, but it still sounds great to me so I'm on board. I've personally disliked everything they've done since 1991 bar a few half decent tunes on 'Tangerine' so this is a welcome surprise for me. 

Yeah I'm with you on that.

Tangerine was garbage, Live & Learn had maybe 2 very good songs but awful production (and much like this, wasn't really Vixen).

They had one new song on a live album after the 3 of them reunited, that was good.

But yeah Janet's voice is just completely nasal now, and doesn't suit the Vixen material, although she'd probably sound fine on this song ironically.

I hope there's an album with better material than this, because (for me) this is complete shit.

8 minutes ago, EnJayKay said:

Yeah I'm with you on that.

Tangerine was garbage, Live & Learn had maybe 2 very good songs but awful production (and much like this, wasn't really Vixen).

They had one new song on a live album after the 3 of them reunited, that was good.

This one?

Nice tune. Wish they'd recorded a full album at the time. 

• Like 3

That's the one.

I don't know why they didn't strike while the iron was hot when they reunited...

They reunited in 2012 and recorded an album in 2014 that never came out (Gardner, Stiles, Ross & Petrucci line up)

They've been promising this album since 2017, then Gina left, then Janet left, then Lorraine re-recorded the vocals, then they went back in to do re-writes, then Share took an indefinite hiatus...

Plus the Jan line up recorded a second album that was shelved when she opted to join the reunion line up so they could use the Vixen name...

So there's 3 Vixen album's in the last 11 years just sat on shelves, and we get this crappy single by the drummer instead 🙄

It's not a bad song, but I couldn't finish listening to it. After playing in and around edgy pop punk bands that thought they were unique because they took some cues from their dad's vinyl collection all through middle and high school, I've heard this song so many times, I've just heard it so many times before.

I agree with Auslander that it's got kind of a Paramore vibe, but I also agree that that isn't necessarily a good thing. 

I don't know. It comes off as... disingenuous to me?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Geoff said:

100% I would prefer Janet Gardner in full flight. But have you heard her 'No Strings' album from this year? Some of the songs are excellent. It's a good album, but her voice - from out of nowhere, for me, personally - is suddenly completely shot. 

This is a great tune and one of the "better" vocal efforts;

Another great song, but those vocals. I'm just not sure I'd prefer her voice on new Vixen material compared to how Lorraine Lewis sounds by comparison these days. 

I also understand this goes completely against what I'd say in every other instance of this type of thing happening, but I was just so surprised to hear Janet's vocals on the new album, after she sounded fine on recent output. This was her three years ago (about the time I saw her live), where she still sounds like Janet Gardner;

Anyway, I also agree the new song sounds nothing like Vixen, but it still sounds great to me so I'm on board. I've personally disliked everything they've done since 1991 bar a few half decent tunes on 'Tangerine' so this is a welcome surprise for me. 

Gardner/James were supposed to tour Australia in January next year with Midnite City.

On Midnite City's Facebook page, the tour is cancelled due the promoter didn't have financial backer.

Guess, who was the promoter is, Australians?

9 hours ago, Doggy said:

Gardner/James were supposed to tour Australia in January next year with Midnite City.

On Midnite City's Facebook page, the tour is cancelled due the promoter didn't have financial backer.

Guess, who was the promoter is, Australians?

Oh shit, I need to be aware if Midnite City get here!

14 hours ago, Geoff said:

Oh shit, I need to be aware if Midnite City get here!

One of gigs was going to be Australia Day at Hobart.