10 classic rock albums that are overrated

6 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Wouldn't have thought that OU812 was that highly rated by most in the first place.

I like it, but never saw it as one of the top VH albums.

None of the albums listed are the best by those bands except for Boston-ST.....

• My Little Pony
8 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

None of the albums listed are the best by those bands except for Boston-ST.....

That one being on the list offended me. ;}

Boston's self-titled record being there is straight blasphemy.

But I'm confused how VH's OU812 is the album they picked as not only being a classic, but the overrated classic as well? I mean, it's not a bad album by any means, but  I've never met anybody who has been like, "No dude, OU812 is the BEST Van Halen album there is, full stop. Don't try and change my mind." 

The problem with this list is that it is full of albums that, apart from Boston, are not the most highly rated albums of the artist. So... the albums aren't really overrated are they.

And putting the Boston album in there is bullshit but at least that is a highly rated album, so, the premise that it cpuld be overrated in the (stupid) author's eyes is at least accurate. 

38 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

As with all of these lists, you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Of course you do, but judging by the content of that site, it's run by a bunch of hipsters who turn their nose up at anything that isn't "evolved" enough.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CMGiordano said:

Boston's self-titled record being there is straight blasphemy.

But I'm confused how VH's OU812 is the album they picked as not only being a classic, but the overrated classic as well? I mean, it's not a bad album by any means, but  I've never met anybody who has been like, "No dude, OU812 is the BEST Van Halen album there is, full stop. Don't try and change my mind." 

I mean I'd say every VH record prior to 1984 is overrated because to me they are all pretty average with only a few stand out songs :)

1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

I mean I'd say every VH record prior to 1984 is overrated because to me they are all pretty average with only a few stand out songs :)

I don't really disagree with that statement. To be honest with you, I might even include 1984 as being overrated, as blasphemous as that may be, because I don't think it lives up to being the amazing record it's often advertised as (though, I am admittedly probably looking at it from a different point of view than some may be, as I wasn't even born yet when it was released).

11 hours ago, CMGiordano said:

I don't really disagree with that statement. To be honest with you, I might even include 1984 as being overrated, as blasphemous as that may be, because I don't think it lives up to being the amazing record it's often advertised as (though, I am admittedly probably looking at it from a different point of view than some may be, as I wasn't even born yet when it was released).

Yeah, I could get on board with that.
Jump, Panana, Hot for Teacher are all amazing songs.
I'll Wait is the only other one I remember from the album, which was OK.

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

I love "I'll Wait".

On 7/21/2023 at 4:17 AM, CureTheSane said:

that is the half of the album that is good 👍 

forget the other half 

• 1 month later...

I really hate the term "overrated" as its all going to come down to personal tastes. If an album or artist is successful, if you don't like them then of course you think they are overrated, but millions of people would disagree with you.

I do think though that underrated is much more interesting as while yes it will come down to tastes as well, there are bands or albums that slip through the cracks and had they got more exposure who knows how people would view them.

There are many bands or albums that people rave about that I really do not like, but I would never say they were overrated just because they don't interest me.

• My Little Pony
On 9/12/2023 at 9:47 AM, Captain Howdy said:

I really hate the term "overrated" as its all going to come down to personal tastes. If an album or artist is successful, if you don't like them then of course you think they are overrated, but millions of people would disagree with you.

I do think though that underrated is much more interesting as while yes it will come down to tastes as well, there are bands or albums that slip through the cracks and had they got more exposure who knows how people would view them.

There are many bands or albums that people rave about that I really do not like, but I would never say they were overrated just because they don't interest me.

I agree. I'd rather discuss "underrated" bands or albums. 

• Like 2

Yeah, stuff like this is pretty pointless, especially, I assume, for music fans on a forum like this. Personally, I wouldn’t accept small amounts of money to even listen to 8 of those albums, let alone rate them in a way that could possibly be seen as overrated. And the two you could pay me to listen to are, to me, extremely average at absolute best (Kiss & Van Halen).