Daughtry - Separate Ways

Dead Planet

4 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Nice cover but would be way more interesting to me to see them doing some original material together.

most covers are an utter waste of time mate 

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, Glen said:

most covers are an utter waste of time mate 

Of everyone's time, it should be clarified. I hear most covers and think, "You just wasted all of our time! What was the point of this?"

33 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Of everyone's time, it should be clarified. I hear most covers and think, "You just wasted all of our time! What was the point of this?"

Everyones? How you work that out?

Some of us actually enjoy a good cover.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Everyones? How you work that out?

Some of us actually enjoy a good cover.

that's the point mate - most of them aren't good ;)

14 hours ago, auslander said:

I also like covers. Not sure why there is such negativity about them. 

Some are great some are ok, and only rarely do I find any awful.

Hell, there are even times I prefer the cover to the original (Once bitten twice shy springs to mind)

9 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

That really isn't the point though is it.. opinion and fact are two very different things.

not where covers are concerned.  We've covered this before but there are only a handful of covers in the history of music which improve on the original.

this one doesn't either, but it's decent. 

2 hours ago, Glen said:

not where covers are concerned.  We've covered this before but there are only a handful of covers in the history of music which improve on the original.

Improving on the original isn't necessarily the point, though, nevermind whether or not it is or isn't an improvement on the original is a completely subjective point of view.

The big thing, for me, is whether or not there's any inspiration / passion in the cover. There are plenty of covers that are just generic, run-of-the-mill, phoned in slop that bands and artists do to try and capitalize on the popularity of the song (see Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" since its resurgence on Stranger Things, for example), but there are also plenty of covers where the band covered the song because they loved it and their version knocked it out of the park -- but whether or not it ended up being better than the original is purely a matter of opinion.

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 hours ago, CMGiordano said:

Improving on the original isn't necessarily the point, though, nevermind whether or not it is or isn't an improvement on the original is a completely subjective point of view.

The big thing, for me, is whether or not there's any inspiration / passion in the cover. There are plenty of covers that are just generic, run-of-the-mill, phoned in slop that bands and artists do to try and capitalize on the popularity of the song (see Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" since its resurgence on Stranger Things, for example), but there are also plenty of covers where the band covered the song because they loved it and their version knocked it out of the park -- but whether or not it ended up being better than the original is purely a matter of opinion.

Well said.

• 2023 Gold Donors

This is one of those songs that transcends the original Artist to a certain extent.

The original, of course is the benchmark and inspiration for all the covers/tributes to follow.

I think of covers as tributes whether good or bad. 

When it comes to this legendary track, I have two favourites. 

Not only is the first clip a great version, but it features Daria Zaritskava, so... enough said. (on a side note, she's Ukrainian, so that's why there hasn't been any recent content).

The Kelly Hansen version is pure class.

No matter how great the cover may be however, it could never match the GREATNESS of the original video.

Edited by Darkstone

6 hours ago, CMGiordano said:

I remember reading some thing where it was mentioned that Kate Bush's own cover of the Elton John song "Rocket Man" is cited as the greatest cover song of all time. I have to admit it is a fantastic cover version.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:29 PM, Glen said:

Once again, this is just a matter of opinion. And the fact that a cover does not improve on the original is neither here nor there. If it is still enjoyable, then in is not an "utter waste" now is it. Yes some covers are just cash grabs or lazy ways of recording new material without all the work that goes into writing a song, but a lot of covers are done because bands or artists want to show their inspirations.

As long as a cover is not god awful (go listen to Paul Dianno cover Symphony of destruction), and they are enjoyable, they are not an utter waste.

28 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Once again, this is just a matter of opinion. And the fact that a cover does not improve on the original is neither here nor there. If it is still enjoyable, then in is not an "utter waste" now is it. Yes some covers are just cash grabs or lazy ways of recording new material without all the work that goes into writing a song, but a lot of covers are done because bands or artists want to show their inspirations.

As long as a cover is not god awful (go listen to Paul Dianno cover Symphony of destruction), and they are enjoyable, they are not an utter waste.

of course it's opinion, what isn't.

For me most are a waste of time. I'll listen once and probably never again. On an album I'll just skip 🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, Glen said:

of course it's opinion, what isn't.

For me most are a waste of time. I'll listen once and probably never again. On an album I'll just skip 🤷‍♂️

And there we go, the whole point of my reply originally when it was said by someone else "Everyones time".

I am just pointing out that no one person can speak for everyone.

You don't care for covers, fine, but some here do.

I think the other overlooked aspect of cover songs are that they can introduce a new generation of music fans to classic artists of the past. Like a shout out from current bands to bands they loved or inspired them to become musos.

And a great cover song is something I will always love. HIMs cover of Wicked Game springs to mind. Love that track.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
8 hours ago, auslander said:

I think the other overlooked aspect of cover songs are that they can introduce a new generation of music fans to classic artists of the past. Like a shout out from current bands to bands they loved or inspired them to become musos.

And a great cover song is something I will always love. HIMs cover of Wicked Game springs to mind. Love that track.

Spot on about "Wicked Game".

• 2023 Gold Donors

When it comes to validating the existence of cover songs, you only need to cite these two old school examples.

Arguably the two best covers ever.

I'm glad that Jimi in particular, didn't consider cover versions as a waste of time. 

• Like 1