Boston

auslander

Awesome band. I prefer 'Don't Look Back' over the debut (just), but both are outstanding albums. After that both 'Third Stage' and 'Walk On' have half a dozen or so  good songs between them, and the least said the better about anything else baring the Boston name after that

• Like 1

LOVE Boston. Saw them twice, back in the 70's, Sammy Hagar opened, and then in the mid 2000's at Red Rocks, fantastic both times. The second show, will never forget the late great Brad Delp, what an incredible singer he was, when he said, "sit back, stand up whatever you want, we're gonna play everything for you." And they did, just great. They were ahead of the their time when it came to sound production. I know Scholz was the tech wiz and he took FOREVER to get the sound he wanted, but when he found it, wow. "Hitch a Ride," what a great tune, so many to choose from. 

• Like 1

The first Boston album was one of the first two records I ever bought with my own money. The other was Kiss Alive. The first Boston album and Don't Look Back are definite absolute classics. Very few records can compare to them. There is not a bad song on either record. Boston was one of the first bands I listened to and went crazy over when I first got introduced to rock music in the 70's.  I will never get tired of or stop listening to those first two Boston albums.

I also own Third Stage and Walk On, I picked those up for free at the library and burned copies way back when I was using Itunes. I have not listened to either of those in years, except what gets played on my Boston channel on Iheart. Like so many other great bands, the original Boston sound is long gone and we will never get it back. Brad is gone now too and so is Sib, RIP to both, great musicians. 

C.H.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Doggy said:

Did anyone picked up  their " Corporate America " album ?

How it compare to rest of their other albums ?

Unfortunately their weakest album. They brought on a female singer. Nothing wrong with that, but IMHO, really changed their sound. They did another album after that "Love, Life Hope," pretty much the same thing. Brad Delp was such a phenomenal voice, to me ranked right up there with the Steve Perry's of the world.

7 hours ago, Doug said:

Unfortunately their weakest album. They brought on a female singer. Nothing wrong with that, but IMHO, really changed their sound. They did another album after that "Love, Life Hope," pretty much the same thing. Brad Delp was such a phenomenal voice, to me ranked right up there with the Steve Perry's of the world.

Just " Corporate America " was released on a small label.

• My Little Pony

Boston are part of the reason I'm here today. My folks were members of the ol' Columbia House back in the day, and that served as the foundation for nearly everything I listen to. My dad got us a Best Of album, which was essentially their first two, and that disc rarely left the CD player. 

• 3 weeks later...

In an exclusive 10-page cover feature with Jon Hotten for issue #29 of Rock Candy Mag, Boston guitarist and songwriter Tom Scholz explains the making of the first Boston album in forensic detail and reveals that its incredible success came with a heavy price.

“I was always an outsider,” Scholz tells Hotten. “I wasn’t part of a scene, not part of the crowd that recorded or played in LA or New York. I wasn’t part of the drug culture; I didn’t know anything about it. I wasn’t at the parties. I didn’t do any of those things. I was like this enigma that came out of no place and it really p*ssed people off. There were a lot of people, and there still are today, who just totally resent me and Boston music. They will never understand what went into that music or what was behind it, or, once it became successful, what I intended to do with it. That part was not pleasant.”

Released in August of 1976, Boston quickly became the best-selling debut album in the US at the time and has now shifted over 20 million copies. And lead track "More Than A Feeing" has come to define the AOR rock sound. But Scholz, who was the undoubted creative force behind the music, had no idea that his album would be such a success. He’d struggled with those Boston songs for years, building his own home recording studio in the basement of his house, trying to get them to sound exactly as he wanted them to.

“I was going to send demos out,” he says. “And assuming I got nothing but rejections, which is what I thought would happen, I was going to dismantle all of the equipment, sell everything off, and recover what little I could from the money I’d spent.”

Even when Boston finally landed a major deal with Epic, the label wanted Scholz to re-record his precious demos in LA for the album proper.

“I said, ‘It can’t be done. I cannot do it without the equipment I used to record everything we’ve done so far.’ It would have taken another 10 years rather than another six months. All of the equipment would have had to be modified.”

Fortunately for everyone concerned it was decided that the original demos would be mixed in LA for commercial release… and the rest is rock history.