Daylight Savings Time

Dead Planet

• 1 year later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

While the US senate passed a bill to do away with DST , the inept house of representatives seems unable to function so it'll be another year of turning the clocks back on November 5

• 3 weeks later...

I have never liked this and still find it rather irritating. One Eyed Trouser Snake used to wake me up at the same time, back in the day, so I remember it got kind of confusing. Just an hour they say but darkening at 4 pm isn't exactly funny.

1 minute ago, Kristian said:

How is it convenient for the farmers?

Their storage tanks of extra daylight don't empty as quickly.

Seriously though, it actually never was for the farmers:

https://www.nytimes.com/article/daylight-saving-time-questions.html

"To farmers, daylight saving time is a disruptive schedule foisted on them by the federal government; a popular myth even blamed them for its existence. To some parents, it’s a nuisance that can throw bedtime into chaos. To small business owners, it’s great."

I don'tind daylight savings. This year is fucked though as I never really adapted to Aussie time after being in the UK for a while.

Been back a week and still not getting to sleep until 5am lol

Yeah, I find it irritating but I do actually "get it." 

If you're putting your clocks back that means it's the end of daylight savings time there, innit? So you don't want daylight savings time at all, meaning your clocks would already be back that hour for the rest of time? Or you want permanent what we now call daylight saving time? Is that what y'all wish for? 

Anyway, I get daylight savings time when it happens, otherwise you'd be having 4:30am sunrises in the middle of summer. 7pm sunset would still be pretty decent, though. 

And permanent daylight savings time would mean sunrise at almost 8am in the middle of winter, for a 6pm sunset. That's a long dark morning, but I guess it's all relative. If it always was either one of those it would just be normal. Seems weird as it'd be abnormal to change now, but I guess you'd adjust to either one soon enough. 

But I'm curious about which one y'all actually want to keep? I'm assuming you actually want permanent daylight savings time, for the longer afternoon? 

48 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, I find it irritating but I do actually "get it." 

If you're putting your clocks back that means it's the end of daylight savings time there, innit? So you don't want daylight savings time at all, meaning your clocks would already be back that hour for the rest of time? Or you want permanent what we now call daylight saving time? Is that what y'all wish for? 

Anyway, I get daylight savings time when it happens, otherwise you'd be having 4:30am sunrises in the middle of summer. 7pm sunset would still be pretty decent, though. 

And permanent daylight savings time would mean sunrise at almost 8am in the middle of winter, for a 6pm sunset. That's a long dark morning, but I guess it's all relative. If it always was either one of those it would just be normal. Seems weird as it'd be abnormal to change now, but I guess you'd adjust to either one soon enough. 

But I'm curious about which one y'all actually want to keep? I'm assuming you actually want permanent daylight savings time, for the longer afternoon? 

I don't really care which one they choose. I'm just tired of the time change every year without good reason...as you say whichever they pick we will quickly get used to it...