Shadow King - Shadow King (1991)

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

Another monster of "our" music. This one also dropped in that '91 sweet spot. Huge memories for me, unfortunately one of those memories was the fact that from purchase, my CD skipped repeatedly halfway through "What Would it Take". It's all good now, but it was years before I could enjoy that track without interruption. 

You can't get more of a "Super Group" than this. Pure class.

I also think that this is extremely underrated. Not by us, but I reckon there would be many "Foriegner" fans that wouldn't even know this existed.

One of few supergroups that I enjoy.

When Leppard came down here in Australia for launch " Vault ", they done an unplugged show and meet & greet afterwards.

I was luck to get Viv sign my CD cover, he was surprise someone in Australia had a copy

• Like 1

This album is so good!  I was lucky enough to hear about it when it came out - it got little publicity in my area - and bought it right away.  Was not disappointed at all.  Great stuff.  It's a horrible shame they basically never toured, doing only one live show.  Far as I know, not recordings of that show have ever turned up.

Shadow King also contributed to the "Highlander II" soundtrack ("One Dream") but were credited as the Lou Gramm Band for that song.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, Tabe said:

This album is so good!  I was lucky enough to hear about it when it came out - it got little publicity in my area - and bought it right away.  Was not disappointed at all.  Great stuff.  It's a horrible shame they basically never toured, doing only one live show.  Far as I know, not recordings of that show have ever turned up.

Shadow King also contributed to the "Highlander II" soundtrack ("One Dream") but were credited as the Lou Gramm Band for that song.

Interesting.  I didn't know about the Highlander II thing.

An album I picked up completely blindly and expected absolutely nothing from... and I ended up loving it. A delicious surprise. 'Once upon a time' is a killer tune and my favourite of a very fine album. 

• Like 1

Brilliant album,every tune is great for me,I have the One Dream track included on my ipod version of this  :) just oozes class, a no skip for me,and we also got Unusual Heat round the same time...for me like getting a two for one  :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lettard said:

Brilliant album,every tune is great for me,I have the One Dream track included on my ipod version of this  :) just oozes class, a no skip for me,and we also got Unusual Heat round the same time...for me like getting a two for one  :)

That's a good idea.  I'll go update my iTunes to do that right now...

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, AlphaMale said:

Got this out of the $1 cassette cut-out bin back in 1991. I should've left it there.

We've had a fair bit of heated discussion regarding politics recently and religion pops up from time to time, but this is possibly the most controversial post I've read since I've been on this forum.     ;)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

We've had a fair bit of heated discussion regarding politics recently and religion pops up from time to time, but this is possibly the most controversial post I've read since I've been on this forum.     ;)

Read some of the comments on the main site. I'm not the only one who finds it mindnumingly boring.

Examples:

Like an extension of Foreigner, but with better Guitars. Good cd to listen to, but don't haul ass out the door to find it! Get it in a cheapie bin at the pawn shop for a buck.

And:

Horrible just horrible. Yeah fine guitar playing but it comes across like all these guys "b" songs they had just lying around. Guarantee you'll listen to it once and it will collect dust.

Another:

Can't highly recommend this, but if you are a fan of Foreigner or even Lou Gramm's solo work this is worth checking out. For me, none of the songs really stood out. It's a pretty good release, but it lacked any songs that really blew me away given the talent involved.

One more:

I must agree with jason. Lange CAN turn shit into gold, BUT Foreigner was on the map already with the first few releases. "Foreigner","Double Vision", and "Head Games" are all excellent albums on their own,BUT they really hit the heights with the release of "4". This is not the Foreigner forum but the Shadow King page. This release sucked. Considering who was in the band, they sound like 4th graders playing for a few years. Not recommended.

Even Pete hated it!

God knows I tried to like this slab o' "same 'ol, same 'ol" but after listening to it several times it's just too boring for me. Nothing really stands out. It's not bad per se, it just makes me sleepy. Viv's best stuff was easily Dio, as was Lou's best with Foreigner. This is just more pasteurized process cheese food from a supergroup.