Bands from the 80's that did not deserve a record deal

AlphaMale

You know how it went..... hair metal was ruling the charts and selling zillions of records...... so every label scooped up a hair band and out came lots of trash.

So name some bands that never deserved a record deal.

I'll go with the 2 I's: I Love You and I, Napoleon...... what the fuck were the labels thinking releasing this crap??

Yeah I' Napolean...what the fuck was that all about...the vocals were horrible if I remember rightly.

Must have a check and see,I;m bound to have something in a box somewhere that I regret buying but did so based on image not musical content...and chances are I probably still have...just like I'Napolean  :)

Edited by lettard
  • Like 1

I bought that cassette based on "Cryin' Out" still love that track...don't remember the rest,which speaks volumes for it.

Edited by lettard
  • Like 1

One of many, one I can think  of straight away was World War 111. The musicians are great, but Mandy ( the singer ) sings it goes downhill.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doggy said:

One of many, one I can think  of straight away was World War 111. The musicians are great, but Mandy ( the singer ) sings it goes downhill.

I think the word singer is stretching it  :) the music was good though,but it was one that I never purchase due to Mr Lion.

Let's name a few, obviously I bought on label and date, or looking at the band pic, 1st comes to mind I ever got physically angry over wasting my money on was Crisis Party, I won't even go into what fucking excrement that was, quicker to say what was good about it, absolutely nothing!! How about Baker's Pink? Anyone fall for that one? Production was a factor to me since I was a little kid, if something sounded like shit, I lost interest, Oh I remember another one I got fucked on, Cvello, curious to know if anyone else made these mistakes and feels the same way I did? I know there's a shit load more but I'd have to give some thought, oh yeah another one was the German band Tusk, who turned out to be an ok heavy metal act, but their debut sounded like they let their pre School kid mix it, honestly thought it was a joke on 1st listen.

2 hours ago, Doggy said:

The biggest problem with WWIII was nothing to do with whether they did not deserve to be signed or not, as soon as you had two Dio guys in the band, they were gonna get signed on that alone, merit or not. It would not even surprise me if the label signed them without even hearing them.

1 hour ago, Leykis101 said:

Let's name a few, obviously I bought on label and date, or looking at the band pic, 1st comes to mind I ever got physically angry over wasting my money on was Crisis Party, I won't even go into what fucking excrement that was, quicker to say what was good about it, absolutely nothing!! How about Baker's Pink? Anyone fall for that one? Production was a factor to me since I was a little kid, if something sounded like shit, I lost interest, Oh I remember another one I got fucked on, Cvello, curious to know if anyone else made these mistakes and feels the same way I did? I know there's a shit load more but I'd have to give some thought, oh yeah another one was the German band Tusk, who turned out to be an ok heavy metal act, but their debut sounded like they let their pre School kid mix it, honestly thought it was a joke on 1st listen.

Baker's Pink! I got suckered into that one. And Soul Kitchen. And Royal Court Of China. And Rock City Angels.

All GARBAGE

3 hours ago, Whatever Happened To Fun? said:

You are crazy. Rock City Angels debut is amazing. 

Which one the self title before or Young Man's Blues ? The self title was release after Young, due to demand.

Baker's Pink were known as the Front, not the Christian band of the same name. They were try to be the new Doors.

31 minutes ago, Doggy said:

Which one the self title before or Young Man's Blues ? The self title was release after Young, due to demand.

Baker's Pink were known as the Front, not the Christian band of the same name. They were try to be the new Doors.

Young Man’s Blues. The other one was not good at all, I was really hoping for more of YMB’s but like I said it wasn’t good.

Bakers Pink was another that wasn’t good but I liked the Front (and yes very much me the Doors)

So many... and none I can think of at the minute, but that is a super comprehensive start to the thread and I agree with them all! Good selections. 

17 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Baker's Pink! I got suckered into that one. And Soul Kitchen. And Royal Court Of China. And Rock City Angels.

All GARBAGE

Not an amazing album by any means, but I like Soul Kitchen.

I, Napoleon I would certainly agree on, but one band/album I always regret buying and should never have been released was The Suicide Twins - Silver Missiles and Nightengales.

I was expecting something Hanoi Rocks-esque, and got a big bag of unlistenable crap.

Royal Court Of China, excellent call, here's one I know I'm gonna get shit for,  just going by how ripped off I felt, Ballam And the Angel, JUST PURE SHIT! not a single song I could remember upon finishing it, I used to always get hosed in the early 90s, lots of alt and mod bands that didn't put band pics on covers, but suckered me in with cool covers, 700 Miles, April's Motel Room, Molly Half Head, Season of Risk, let's throw in that garbage Wildside disc, that band Castle, Deadly Friend, Machines of Loving Grace, My Sisters Machine, Seka, Pist On, I remember these cause they were all discs on bought on the blind in 95 while I was visiting my sister in Tampa, I dropped about $600 buying everything I could see, that I'd never heard of, I think the only 2 discs I got on that entire mistake was Gun-Gallus and Jet Red-S/T, I was seriously sick for like 4 days after o realized I'd just blown that much money on fucking shit CDs, I never did that again either, there's more but these are the ones that come to mind 1st, never realized just how much ear garbage was out there till that tragic 5 day waste.

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah I liked that Soul Kitchen release also,nice feel to that one

I never got the Bakers Pink thing,I mean even up to a few years ago it was still a rare cd and thus must be good(not :) )

Edited by lettard

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Not an amazing album by any means, but I like Soul Kitchen.

tagged the wrong quote above...this is what my reply was based on  :)

2 hours ago, lettard said:

Yeah I liked that Soul Kitchen release also,nice feel to that one

I never got the Bakers Pink thing,I mean even up to a few years ago it was still a rare cd and thus must be good(not :) )

Was Baker's Pink a rare CD? I bought that out of the bargain bin. 

I've seen them all over the place, I know where one is this second for $1, let me know

Confession time:

I've actually never seen or even heard of Baker's Pink before this thread. I'd be interested to hear it for interest's sake, but hearing any comparison to The Front makes me want to avoid it as if it would murder me. 

Amazed I never heard about it though...