Give me some new album ideas

CureTheSane

As i just posted in another thread, I'm off to China in a few days.
Going solo, so I spend my days without much conversation as where I go there isn't much English spoken.

So I can go for hours at a time with earphones in (not something I get to do very often at home)
So I'm after some new albums to try out.

Lately I've been listening a lot to Shiraz Lane, Cats In Space, Gun, Roxanne, so any music like them would be great, but also any other hard rock with hooks and melodies would be good.

Doesn't have to be that recent

Yowza, from Shiraz Lane to Cats in Space covers a WIDE gamut of styles.

Well-received more well-known bands form the last several years:

Art Nation
Brother Firetribe
Care of Night
Crazy Lixx
The Defiants
Dynazty
Eclipse
Find Me
First Signal
Harem Scarem
H.E.A.T.
Kissin' Dynamite
The Night Flight Orchestra
One Desire
State of Salazar
Treat
W.E.T.

If you have any interest in metal, Sabaton,  Blind Guardian, and Iron Savior are can't miss IMO. Primal Fear is good as well. Amaranthe, Dragonforce, and Avantasia can be fun listens as well. Ghost for something a little off the beaten path.

If you start getting into one-offs or indpendent/self-released material, especially going back in time, the list is endless.

Pretty much up to date on these...
Crazy Lixx
The Defiants
Dynazty
Eclipse
First Signal
Harem Scarem
H.E.A.T.
Kissin' Dynamite
The Night Flight Orchestra
One Desire
Treat
W.E.T.

But these I will look into, thanks...
Art Nation
Brother Firetribe
Care of Night
Find Me
State of Salazar

Ablaze

Snake Bit Whisky

Airbourne

Massive

Some Aussies bands that Aussies don't go out check out, they wait for international bands tour down here.

4 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

You listen to Wigelius? Also, Arion's first album, "Last of Us," was a fookin' stonker. 

Never heard of them, but I tend to like much of the same stuff you doi so they will be top of my list.

Nitrate - I have one of their albums which I haven;t got to yet. Keep on thinking they are Nitro lol

White widdow - tried but can't do them.

Creye - listened to a few tracks on youtube but they are too synthy for me

Midnite city - love 'em

12 hours ago, PetraGirl86 said:

Like, just ones we like & think you should listen to or what? 

Anything in the same vein of any of the bands I listed.
I'm sure there is a heap of great stuff that I'm missing out on.

8 hours ago, Doggy said:

Ablaze

Snake Bit Whisky

Airbourne

Massive

Some Aussies bands that Aussies don't go out check out, they wait for international bands tour down here.

I do need to try and get into some more local stuff.

I started listening to it via the Hard Rock Show but then they ripped into Michael Sweet, which is generally cool, but they jaked and belittled his wife dying of cancer which was pretty fucked so I haven't seen anything they do since.

Airbourne are defs not for me though.

Well, okay, um, idk, I like Last Train by Holy Soldier & it isn't too churchy for you if you ain't into Christian stuff it's a story kinda so all the songs are about a reckless life pretty much except for Last Train itself. Mr. Moonlight by Foreigner is great too! 

12 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

I started listening to it via the Hard Rock Show but then they ripped into Michael Sweet, which is generally cool, but they jaked and belittled his wife dying of cancer which was pretty fucked so I haven't seen anything they do since.

Kyle Sweet was so beautiful ♥️ Sorry off topic she's just someone I feel saddest about dying. 😔

30 minutes ago, PetraGirl86 said:

Kyle Sweet was so beautiful ♥️ Sorry off topic she's just someone I feel saddest about dying. 😔

I never met her, but they way they made fun of anyone dying what just disgusting.
michael can be a dick, and deserves most of the stuff that comes his way, but it was way too far and really the lowest for of critic.
Doubt he ever saw it, but it spoke volumes about the people who made the show.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Here's a couple that you can immerse yourself in. 

Arjen Lucassen's Star One

- Space Metal

- Victims of the Modern Age

Each track is based on a work of science fiction. 

• My Little Pony
5 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Here's a couple that you can immerse yourself in. 

Arjen Lucassen's Star One

- Space Metal

- Victims of the Modern Age

Each track is based on a work of science fiction. 

Sounds like my kinda thing. I'm gonna have to queue it up on the ol' Spotifies. 

• My Little Pony

Giant's first two albums are absolute classics. If you've never given them a chance, now's as good a time as any.

Gotthard: just putting this here as a precautionary measure. Tell me you're familiar with them already. If not, their catalogue up to 2009 is enough occupy the rest of the year. 

Incura kinda reminds me a little of Shiraz Lane. They might be too weird, though. 

Khymera is another solid band. I'd suggest starting with their latest album, "The Grand Design," as it's the least synthy. 

And a few others. I'm guessing most of these you already know, but maybe something slipped through your radar:

Babylon A.D.

Blue Tears

Brighton Rock

Casanova

Charade

Crown of Thorns

Cruzh

Dynazty

Gorky Park - Moscow Calling

Great King Rat 

Killer Dwarfs

KIX

Leverage

Lion

The Magnificent

Mariah

The Poodles

Pretty Boy

Red Dawn

ReVertigo

Revolution Saints

Shotgun Messiah

Sic Vikki

Steelheart

Sturm Und Drang

Thunder

Transit

Trixter

Von Groove

Wall of Silence

Waltham

Wild Lies

Wildness

You could like some of these ones:

Angels Or Kings: "Kings of nowhere",

Baton Rouge: any of them (not recent),

Code Red: "Incendiary",

Cyhra: "Letters to myself" (ex-singer of Amaranthe + ex-guitarist of In Flames),

Dare: "Blood from stone" (not recent),

Degreed, any of them,

Free Spirit: "All the shades of darkened light",

Keldian: "Darkness and Light",

Maverick: "Cold Star Dancer",

Nordic Union: S/T (singer of Pretty Maids + singer/guitarist of Eclipse),

Palace: "Master of the Universe",

Seven: "Shattered",

Sixx A.M. twin albums: "Prayers for the damned" and "Prayers for the blessed",

The Magnificent: S/T,

Tokyo Motor Fist: S/T (ex-singer of Danger Danger, Ted Poley),

Vega: "Stereo Messiah",

Edited by mrbandwidth

Or here's an idea, go over to the main site and look at our Top 5 lists from the last 20 years. ;)

Seriously, at least over the last 5 years, I've posted Youtube links of sample songs from each of the top 5 albums from Mike, Pete, Jez, Terry, and myself.

Here's the 2018 list to get you started:

https://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/2018best.cgi

• Like 1