Geoff Tate vs Queensryche

Geoff Tate vs Queensryche   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I figure I know how this one is going to go, but I'm doing it anyway for shiggles... :P

Starting with Tate's first solo effort in 2002 through the recent Operation: Mindcrime and Queensryche discs; which do you prefer?

I was a fan of the band starting with Rage For Order on through Promised Land.  I haven't gotten into much of Geoff's work since then.  But my interest in Queensryche has been rekindled with the albums Todd La Torre has been part of

• 2023 Gold Donors

Since Q2K I haven't really given many spins to either party. From what I have heard though, I think the output from Queensryche has been better. Although, they were only able to achieve this by getting a Geoff Tate emulator (Todd La Torre was an inspired choice BTW). I'm sure it's very complicated, but does anyone know in a nutshell, what caused the falling out in the first place? Such a shame when you have these rifts among long term successful bands. It seems to be pretty common though. Money and Ego are the two main factors, I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

I'm sure it's very complicated, but does anyone know in a nutshell, what caused the falling out in the first place? Such a shame when you have these rifts among long term successful bands. It seems to be pretty common though. Money and Ego are the two main factors, I'm sure. 

Seems to mainly stem from finanacial issues and from what can be read into it, the other members probably felt like Tate had TOO MUCH control over what the band was doing both musically and financially (especially with several of his family members involved with band operations); everything just finally boiled over. Here's an interview with Geoff Tate from June 2012 giving his side of things:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/qa-geoff-tate-on-queensryches-ugly-split-backstage-brawl-in-brazil-102316/

And then here's the other side from the other members:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/remaining-queensryche-members-accuse-geoff-tate-of-financial-wrongdoing-violence/

DeGarmo leaving in 1998 was the beginning of the end musically (IMO anyway) as the releases after that became darker and way less melodic, with only the occasional  exception (song wise).

I know alot of people really like the band now, with LaTorre on vocals, and the recent releases, but it's all I can do to get through them. The muscianship is top notch, the vocals are great, but there's just something missing... the songs just aren't memorable to me. I've listened to The Verdict on and off for the last week, and can't remember a single chorus. The only reason I picked The Verdict in this poll is because The New Reality by Tate's Operation: Mindcrime is DREADFUL.   At least on the releases prior to that one, you could count on 2-3 decent songs on a Tate release, and his stuff is definitely more melodic than what Ryche has been doing... to my ears at least. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
19 minutes ago, whiplash1972 said:

Seems to mainly stem from finanacial issues and from what can be read into it, the other members probably felt like Tate had TOO MUCH control over what the band was doing both musically and financially (especially with several of his family members involved with band operations); everything just finally boiled over. Here's an interview with Geoff Tate from June 2012 giving his side of things:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/qa-geoff-tate-on-queensryches-ugly-split-backstage-brawl-in-brazil-102316/

And then here's the other side from the other members:

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/remaining-queensryche-members-accuse-geoff-tate-of-financial-wrongdoing-violence/

DeGarmo leaving in 1998 was the beginning of the end musically (IMO anyway) as the releases after that became darker and way less melodic, with only the occasional  exception (song wise).

I know alot of people really like the band now, with LaTorre on vocals, and the recent releases, but it's all I can do to get through them. The muscianship is top notch, the vocals are great, but there's just something missing... the songs just aren't memorable to me. I've listened to The Verdict on and off for the last week, and can't remember a single chorus. The only reason I picked The Verdict in this poll is because The New Reality by Tate's Operation: Mindcrime is DREADFUL.   At least on the releases prior to that one, you could count on 2-3 decent songs on a Tate release, and his stuff is definitely more melodic than what Ryche has been doing... to my ears at least. 

Thanks mate. You're spot on about DeGarmo.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:16 AM, whiplash1972 said:

Totally agree,Rage right through to Promised Land are great releases...haven't given the new Queensryche of Geoff Tate solo(band) stuff the time of day...

• My Little Pony

Damn. I had only ever read Geoff Tate's side of things, which shows a narcissist bordering on full psychopathy. I never knew the other side. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2023 Gold Donors

A very interesting clip that again, doesn't do much for Geoff Tate's reputation. I don't know what it is, but every "Geoff" I've encountered in life seems to be an arsehole*. The big thing I got from this video was a snippet from the album "Game Over" by "Final Stage". Never heard of them before, but I'll be investigating. 

*😉

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The LaTorre releases don't even come close to the Tate Queensryche up until Empire. After that, they were pretty shit bar a few songs here and there. 

I can't agree that Sweet Oblivion is better than those early Queensryche albums. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

The LaTorre releases don't even come close to the Tate Queensryche up until Empire. After that, they were pretty shit bar a few songs here and there. 

I can't agree that Sweet Oblivion is better than those early Queensryche albums. 

I can agree with that but I still think that Sweet Oblivion is better than any Queensryche release with La Torre