Forgotten Hard Rock Albums: DIRTY RHYTHM - "Hard As A Rock" (1991)

AlphaMale

Another release that didn't get much fanfare. Another blind purchase thanks to the hottie on the cover and some sleazy titles. It was a solid album!

Some of my favorites:

I thought this one was pretty good as well.  I recall picking the cd up in the late 90's at a used media store.   I had no idea who the band was nor what they sounded like, but took a chance figuring it had to be 80's style hard rock from the band photo on the back cover and the song titles.  After giving it a few spins I was pleasantly surprised by how solid of an album it was.  The second half of the album does dip in quality a little and you won't find anything overly original on display, but it is worth checking out if you have not heard it before.  Feel the Fire and I Can't Wait are my favorites.

• 2023 Gold Donors

The old "blind purchase". As much as I love not having to waste money on dud albums, part of me misses the thrill of taking a risk with a band you've never heard of and getting home to find out it's a killer album. Thanks to the internet there's not really any need for blind purchases anymore and sometimes not even purchases at all.    :whistle:

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

The old "blind purchase". As much as I love not having to waste money on dud albums, part of me misses the thrill of taking a risk with a band you've never heard of and getting home to find out it's a killer album. Thanks to the internet there's not really any need for blind purchases anymore and sometimes not even purchases at all.    :whistle:

I surely miss those days. Look at the album cover and check out the song titles. Take a chance or no? I'm glad this was a yes.

Sadly I never got a genuine copy of this and only ever dealt with a CDR. One of those typically enjoyable albums from the era. Not perfect, but a very fine album with a great vocalist. I'm absolutely mad for the ballad 'I can't wait,' but there were a handful of good rockers on this too... including 'Backside of love' and 'Feel the fire.' 

I assume y'all know there were a bunch of leftovers released from these guys on Suncity Records a few years back? 

A blind purchase for me also based on the front cover,songs titles & the band photo inside,picked this up on cassette then purchased the cd upon the arrival of ebay years ago,glad I did,its a good album....also miss those blind purchase days...bought quite a few awful things but also like this some hidden gems.

Edited by lettard

• 8 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 8:08 AM, Geoff said:

Sadly I never got a genuine copy of this and only ever dealt with a CDR. One of those typically enjoyable albums from the era. Not perfect, but a very fine album with a great vocalist. I'm absolutely mad for the ballad 'I can't wait,' but there were a handful of good rockers on this too... including 'Backside of love' and 'Feel the fire.' 

I assume y'all know there were a bunch of leftovers released from these guys on Suncity Records a few years back? 

Yes.... not as good as this though.

This album wasn't that scarce, feel the fire got regular air play on a few stations, I think Loverboy or one of those bands were affiliated with these guys, or produced this, maybe Mike Reno or Paul Dean, I don't remember, I think it was kind of cookie cutter stuff, a few of the songs were good,

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 12:58 AM, Jacob M. said:

This band was from Portland, Oregon. I talk to Brian Harrison on occasion through Facebook. He's a cool dude who is still involved with the local music scene.

That explains why I have found it on 3 occasions, the one I kept was signed by the band.