Sons Of Apollo - Psychotic Symphony

Another supergroup. Debut album is out October 20th. Band members are Mike Portnoy, Derek Sherinian, Ron Thal, Billy Sheenan, Jeff Scott Soto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPN2DttzlZQ

http://www.sonsofapollo.com/

First listen to 'Signs of The Time' didn't really do anything for me. I did however like the instrumental section, had a 'Falling Into Infinity' fusion vibe to it. I think I liked that part so much because I was genuinely expecting a metal shred/wank fest so was pleasantly surprised. Had a few more listens to it and it is sort of a grower, not a bad song by any means. Was refreshing to hear genuine analogue keyboard sounds compared to how Dream Theater have used them in the past 10/15 years. Will probably still check out the rest of the album.

• 2 weeks later...

That is incredibly bad. Sounds like a bunch of guys came into the studio, jammed to their own musical idea and then someone had the grand idea to blend it all together as single musical tracks. Horrible.

• 4 weeks later...

Portnoy and Sheehan are fucking monster players, so with the other names also involved, this is technically going to be THE best album released this year no doubt. Hopefully there will be some huge songs to back up all the 'Widdling' The two released so far have got my interest, especially 'Coming Home'

• 5 weeks later...

wish more of the album was like Divine Addiction that is my fav song on here.

The whole album is too challenging. elements of songs has melody but then just spring off in some unrelated way. way too Dream Theatery for me 

There are some good parts to this album.

However what annoys me is like on the opening track - Gods of The Sun - the song is great up to 5 mins, interesting between mins 5-7 with some tasteful vocals and a key solo. But then 7-9 mins is like WTF?? The song basically stops , and then we get 2 mins of completely unrelated nonsensical 'noises' - that's the only way I can describe it, which basically completely ruins the song.

I cannot believe that anyone can actually enjoy or defend the need for those 2 mins.   

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be part of the minority here, like I usually am with The Darkness....but this release is absolute gold to my ears. My only complaint is the final 10 minute instrumental, I would have preferred another track with JSS singing, which he sings his balls off on this one.  Easily one of the best of 2017 and makes me forget for a moment the disaster that was Dream Theater's - The Astonishing.

Still give the edge to Threshold for the best Prog release of 2017 though. 

Why is this thread not in the Prog section? Can you shift it over Dan?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/10/2017 at 1:38 PM, Glen said:

There are some good parts to this album.

However what annoys me is like on the opening track - Gods of The Sun - the song is great up to 5 mins, interesting between mins 5-7 with some tasteful vocals and a key solo. But then 7-9 mins is like WTF?? The song basically stops , and then we get 2 mins of completely unrelated nonsensical 'noises' - that's the only way I can describe it, which basically completely ruins the song.

I cannot believe that anyone can actually enjoy or defend the need for those 2 mins.   

This ^^^^ is still true

I like about 3 maybe 4 songs.