Average albums you love

simo

The recent topic I started about Kill For Thrills got me thinking. Do any of you have an album that is generally considered to be mediocre or nothing special but you really like? Maybe because of a special connection or memory you might have or you just think it's a good album that 99% of people wouldn't give the time of day

Discuss!

I'll start, first RATT. Some of their later Albums (of the first 5 studio releases) are considered to have a lot of filler and people say that the band got lazy blah blah. Especially ''Reach For The Sky'' seems to be getting a lot of flak but I absolutely love that album

A more recent one is De La Cruz with Street Level, pretty cool album which only has a score of about 70% on the main site

Shit I had another one but it slipped my mind. I'll try and remember it

This could also be done for albums that are considered ''classics'' but don't do anything for you, but let's go with this topic first :D

There is nothing average about that De La Cruz album. It kicks crazy amounts of arse.

I guess my most recent example would be Night Flight Orchestra - most people here (except Jez) think they are average as hell but i love both albums.

Great band.

Albums which are considered classics which do nothing for me -

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Cinderella - Long Cold Winter

Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood

Rush - Moving Pictures

Dream Theater - Images & Words

Iron Maiden: 'Fear Of The Dark'

Status Quo: 'Back To Back' and 'Never Too Late' (to be honest, most of their output between, say, 1978 and 1984, is generally considered 'average' by the Quo Army)

Ozzy Osbourne: 'The Ultimate Sin' (I remember some reviews panning this when it first came out)

Twisted Sister: 'Love Is For Suckers'

Also Iron Maiden - Dance of Death.

This got panned when it was released, but I really like most of it. 'Paschendale' is superb

Hard thread to respond to, as I feel like most the albums I love are probably disliked by enough people that they'd qualify. A few of my all-time favourite albums which I'm sure most people wouldn't mention even in casual conversation:

Cauterize - all of them

Silly Fools - 'The one'

Blessed By A Broken Heart - 'Feel the power'

Boys Like Girls - 'Love drunk'

Blue Blud - 'The Big Noise'

Silence - 'City (Nights)'

Faber Drive - 'Seven second surgery'

Lea Hart - 'Ready to rumble'

A Change of Pace - 'Prepare the masses'

Trust Company - 'Dreaming in black and white'

... for a start. ;)

Hard thread to respond to, as I feel like most the albums I love are probably disliked by enough people that they'd qualify. A few of my all-time favourite albums which I'm sure most people wouldn't mention even in casual conversation:

Cauterize - all of them

Silly Fools - 'The one'

... for a start. ;)

Love all of those albums!

Cauterize - all of them

Silly Fools - 'The one'

... for a start. ;)

Love all of those albums!

Yeah, I just sort of noticed the thread title there and realised those albums are totally out of place in this thread. They should be in a thread titled 'Brilliant albums few people appreciate.' Nothing at all average about any of them.

These are just on the top of my mind right now, haven't rated them properly but I think maybe they're quite unknown/not very famous/maybe considered weak/average by many/overlooked but I kinda dig it as I remember

BON JOVI - 7800 Fahrenheit

BON JOVI - Lost Highway

BRYAN ADAMS - 18 Till I Die

CINDERELLA - Still Climbing

DEF LEPPARD - Adrenalize

ENUFF Z'NUFF - Peach Fuzz

GNR - Chinese Democracy

HAREM SCAREM - Human Nature

IRON MAIDEN - No Prayer For The Dying

IRON MAIDEN - Fear of The Dark

IRON MAIDEN - Dance of Death

JOHN WAITE - Rough N Tumble

MEGADETH - Thirteen

MSG - s/t

NELSON - Because They Can

POISON - Native Tongue

TESLA - Bust A Nut

WINGER - IV

These are just on the top of my mind right now, haven't rated them properly but I think maybe they're quite unknown/not very famous/maybe considered weak/average by many/overlooked but I kinda dig it as I remember

BON JOVI - Lost Highway

DEF LEPPARD - Adrenalize

GNR - Chinese Democracy

MEGADETH - Thirteen

MSG - s/t

POISON - Native Tongue

TESLA - Bust A Nut

WINGER - IV

Those are some terrible albums you have there, nice list :D Actually I was thinking of mentionig Adrenalize too, but I believe a lot of guys here like it so I left it out

As much as I love Maiden, this album is a real low point for me ... I only like about half the songs on it :(

BON JOVI - Lost Highway

DEF LEPPARD - Adrenalize

GNR - Chinese Democracy

MEGADETH - Thirteen

MSG - s/t

POISON - Native Tongue

TESLA - Bust A Nut

WINGER - IV

MSG - s/t ?? I freakin love that album. One of my favs through my early teens.

Iron Maiden - Dance of Death - again, an excellent album.........prob my 2nd fav of theirs in recent years, behind Brave New World

Poison - Native Tongue - I know a fair few who would rate that as Poison's best album.

Harem Scarem - Human Nature - excellent album. period. Not a filler in sight.

Bon Jovi - 7800F - not quite up to the standard of the s/t or SWW, but still a damned fine album with some absolute gems.

Winger - IV - still never heard it, but i'd love too.....there's a few on you tube which i really like

'7800F,' 'Still Climbing,' 'Adrenalize,' 'Human nature,' 'MSG,' 'Native tongue' and 'Bust a nut' are all excellent albums. The Winger album is absolutely fucking terrible.

'7800F,' 'Still Climbing,' 'Adrenalize,' 'Human nature,' 'MSG,' 'Native tongue' and 'Bust a nut' are all excellent albums. The Winger album is absolutely fucking terrible.

I thought Bust A Nut was dreadful. Love Tesla's second and third albums, read the reviews that said Bust A Nut was a return to form, bought it and got rid of it quick, really disappointing album imo.

Yeah I think what Geoff said is true, they're all great albums for me but I just assume that some or most people consider it average. Winger IV is not terrible, it's just the weakest album by them but don't mind giving it something like 70% or more :D

As much as I love Maiden, this album is a real low point for me ... I only like about half the songs on it :(

Actually I still prefer 'No Prayer' than the other four albums without Dickinson in it :D

Status Quo: 'Back To Back' and 'Never Too Late' (to be honest, most of their output between, say, 1978 and 1984, is generally considered 'average' by the Quo Army)

Ozzy Osbourne: 'The Ultimate Sin' (I remember some reviews panning this when it first came out)

Are you trolling here, mate :D ? Ultimate sin is my favorite Ozzy + Guitarist + you name it! Secret loser easily in my list of the songs I listen to naked and drink champagne without the flute glass. I can't listen almost to anything else from ozzy.

Cauterize - all of them

Silly Fools - 'The one'

... for a start. ;)

I love blue blud! And I have it signed also from the brothers!

Are you trolling here, mate :D ? Ultimate sin is my favorite Ozzy + Guitarist + you name it! Secret loser easily in my list of the songs I listen to naked and drink champagne without the flute glass. I can't listen almost to anything else from ozzy.

I think consensus on Ultimate Sin is that it ain't that great as an album. Some songs are good (like Shot In The Dark for example, although it sounded MUCH better live!! Check out the version from the Moscow Peace Festival) but as an album it just doesn't hold up to Ozzy's other classic work

I LOVE 'The Ultimate Sin' ... just sayin' that most people think it's an 'average' album ... :)

I think consensus on Ultimate Sin is that it ain't that great as an album. Some songs are good (like Shot In The Dark for example, although it sounded MUCH better live!! Check out the version from the Moscow Peace Festival) but as an album it just doesn't hold up to Ozzy's other classic work

I think the biggest problem with 'The Ultimate Sin' (for most people) is that it comes after 'Bark At The Moon', which is an absolute classic ... on its own merits, as far as I'm concerned, 'Sin' is a cracking album - not a duff song on there. If Shazza could stop being a cow for five minutes, and give Phil Soussan the credit he deserves, the bloody thing might finally get re-issued on CD!

I LOVE 'The Ultimate Sin' ... just sayin' that most people think it's an 'average' album ... :)

I can think only of Ozzy bashing it.I understand that we should come with a better working definition of "average" but If I recall right, when I used to buy the Greek HM/Metal Hammer magazine, Ultimate Sin was in top 20 of the 100 best albums (the poll was made by the readers in early to mid 90's). Edit: the survey sample was approximately 10000 strong!

I can think only of Ozzy bashing it.I understand that we should come with a better working definition of "average" but If I recall right, when I used to buy the Greek HM/Metal Hammer magazine, Ultimate Sin was in top 20 of the 100 best albums (the poll was made by the readers in early to mid 90's). Edit: the survey sample was approximately 10000 strong!

Kerrang! magazine gave it something like 6/10 ... a lot of my mates don't rate it that highly (I don't think it helps that Ozzy looks like a pantomime dame in most of the promo shots from this era), but I maintain that if it was given the proper 'remaster' treatment (like the rest of his early albums), and re-released, then a lot more people would dig it ...