Average albums you love

simo

Still not sure, bought the album despite the negative comments cause I wanted to have all of Ozzy's albums and form my own opinion. The melodic aspect of some songs is pretty cool like the title track or Shot In the Dark like I've mentioned. But then there's also songs like Secret Loser and Thank God For The Bomb which...... I don't know how to put it but I think are unintentionally funny. When Ozzy sings ''I'm a secret loser!!'' or ''Thank God for the Bomb!!'' .... just not cool man haha.

Still not sure, bought the album despite the negative comments cause I wanted to have all of Ozzy's albums and form my own opinion. The melodic aspect of some songs is pretty cool like the title track or Shot In the Dark like I've mentioned. But then there's also songs like Secret Loser and Thank God For The Bomb which...... I don't know how to put it but I think are unintentionally funny. When Ozzy sings ''I'm a secret loser!!'' or ''Thank God for the Bomb!!'' .... just not cool man haha.

A lot of his lyrics are a bit like that, to be fair :)

'Thank God For The Bomb' is a bit cheesy, for sure, but surely - for what is pretty much an 'anti-war' song - the worst line has to be 'Nuke ya, nuke ya' ;)

Iron Maiden: 'Fear Of The Dark'

Status Quo: 'Back To Back' and 'Never Too Late' (to be honest, most of their output between, say, 1978 and 1984, is generally considered 'average' by the Quo Army)

Ozzy Osbourne: 'The Ultimate Sin' (I remember some reviews panning this when it first came out)

Twisted Sister: 'Love Is For Suckers'

Are you trolling here, mate :D ? Ultimate sin is my favorite Ozzy + Guitarist + you name it! Secret loser easily in my list of the songs I listen to naked and drink champagne without the flute glass. I can't listen almost to anything else from ozzy.

I LOVE 'The Ultimate Sin' ... just sayin' that most people think it's an 'average' album ... :)

I can think only of Ozzy bashing it.I understand that we should come with a better working definition of "average" but If I recall right, when I used to buy the Greek HM/Metal Hammer magazine, Ultimate Sin was in top 20 of the 100 best albums (the poll was made by the readers in early to mid 90's). Edit: the survey sample was approximately 10000 strong!

Kerrang! magazine gave it something like 6/10 ... a lot of my mates don't rate it that highly (I don't think it helps that Ozzy looks like a pantomime dame in most of the promo shots from this era), but I maintain that if it was given the proper 'remaster' treatment (like the rest of his early albums), and re-released, then a lot more people would dig it ...

The Ultimate Sin was always my fav Ozzy solo release but I haven't sat down and listened to his stuff in so many years my opinion may have changed....need to find time to relisten to everything from "Blizzard of Ozz" to "No Rest For The Wicked"...everything after that was forgettable...IMO

Iron Maiden - "Virtual XI"

I much prefer this to The X-Factor (which always feels too long), it's got some great tunes, shame it's Blaze instead of Bruce, but I enjoy it for what it is.

W.A.S.P. - "K.F.D."

I love the dark, intense evilness of this one, such a unique album in their catalogue.

EDIT: If they meet the criteria of this thread, I'll also add Megadeth's "Risk" and Metallica's "St. Anger" (I really liked that new drum sound, just because it was different).

Star-Star - The Love Drag Years

A dollar bin cd, that you probably can't give away if on your trade list.

But for me this was almost the birth of my love for sleaze rock. It's almost sleaze before there even was sleaze. Trash, brash, glam, heavy.... all for about a buck!

But for me this was almost the birth of my love for sleaze rock. It's almost sleaze before there even was sleaze. Trash, brash, glam, heavy.... all for about a buck!

Oh yes, good one. A real stinker for me! Glad you dig it tho.

Don't mind it, don't hate it, but average is what it is, good call :)

Don't mind it, don't hate it, but average is what it is, good call :)

It always mystifies me why glam / sleaze fans don't like it more - and it's always just been seen as an average album... whereas it's probably squeeze into my top 20 of all time I think. But, perfect example of what this thread is about.