These days

Jacob M.

Things are way different than I imagined they would be. By 31 I thought I would have had things figured out. I most certainly didn't think I would still be in retail (and thankful to even have a job). I've been keeping a journal for several years now. I believe Geoff said only unhappy people keep journals. I tend to believe that's true. I've tried to read things I've written down and I cringe. It's just a reminder of all the ways I've been kicked around.

Recently I went back and read some of the things I wrote over the last few months. It actually brought a smile to my face. I'm still not where I want to be, but maybe I'm closer to it. Coming back to Oregon has turned out way better than I could have imagined. And if I keep pursuing the things I want I might actually get them. One could hope :).

• My Little Pony

You need to get out of Wal-Mart. But I'm sure you already know that. What could you see yourself doing? I'm praying for you, bud. Whether you believe in that stuff, or not.

My tip..... Travel.

Pack your backpack, head over to Europe, Asia, Australia.... or somewhere to shake things up a bit.

Get outta the walmart syndrome you are in and see a bit or the world you would never otherwise see.

In the end you'll wonder why you ever sat in 1 spot for so long.

And the US dollar is amazingly strong against most currencies at the moment!!!!

Do it

Do it

Do it!

Things are way different than I imagined they would be. By 31 I thought I would have had things figured out. I most certainly didn't think I would still be in retail (and thankful to even have a job). I've been keeping a journal for several years now. I believe Geoff said only unhappy people keep journals. I tend to believe that's true. I've tried to read things I've written down and I cringe. It's just a reminder of all the ways I've been kicked around. Recently I went back and read some of the things I wrote over the last few months. It actually brought a smile to my face. I'm still not where I want to be, but maybe I'm closer to it. Coming back to Oregon has turned out way better than I could have imagined. And if I keep pursuing the things I want I might actually get them. One could hope :).

I don't think you're alone in this ... if someone had told me that at the grand age of ... *coughcough* ... I'd be where I am now, I'd have thought them mad. Still, everything happens for a reason, and you have to keep thinking about the positives ...

Couldn't agree with Lindsay more on this one. My youngest brother, whom is without ties (a girlfriend/wife/kid etc.) travelled overseas for the first time in his life (3 months in Europe) when he was 31. He'll tell you without doubt it was the greatest experience of his life.

I have close to a lifetime full of regrets, if I'm being honest, and the second biggest one would definitely be that I did not travel more when I was young and unattached. I did not really have money to do much, but I should have made it a priority and put the money I had towards travel, even if it was just around Australia for the most part.

Anyway, I think I did say that about the journal and I stand by it. I kept a journal through the most miserable years of my life. Coincidence? Not sure, but it definitely happened. Then the only times after that I've ever returned to it, is in times of pure misery. :lol: I guess it's kind of like therapy for some people. Talking through your troubles, without actually talking to someone.

What happened to your musical ambitions? I remember you used to have musical plans and stuff. Is that still a realistic dream of yours?

I just hit the 4 year mark at Failmart and I began to make plans for the future. About three weeks ago I went on a two week vacation and flew back to Oklahoma. I took care of some issues while there, but never actually accomplished the goal for which I was there. I can thank the weather for that. Anyway, while there I realized nothing had changed in 8 months and that I really didn't want to be there for anything more than a short visit.

I left feeling happy I was in the right place and I was eager to get back to work. Then on this day last week I got a message from my friend saying he had been fired along with another coworker. So much for feeling safe again at work. Management was on a rampage again. I was terrified to go back.

First night was good. I had the good manager and I was thankful for that. The next two nights I was fearful. First night with the bad boss the task times were way off and things went rather badly. The next night when the bad manager ripped into us I immediately went "shit". My fears were realized as a bit after first break the nitwit pulled me into the office and wrote me up for the second time.

It was hard to keep my anger in check when a complete and total moron insulted my abilities and work ethic. So I'm one step closer to being fired even though I've done nothing wrong. I'm sick of being terrorized by idiot managers. I'm going to fight this tooth and nail and put an end to her reign of terror.

So before all of this went down my plan was to be down to one day a week at Failmart (as a backup plan) and working somewhere else full time by the time I hit year 5. Now it will probably be full time somewhere else and no Failmart at all.

At one point I had musical ambitions. Those began to fade when I couldn't find a single person to work with on my ideas. I made some bad choices and found myself in a bad situation. My personal problems eventually overtook me and all of the other stuff eventually got placed to the side.

Kind of sad because after the Jungle Blue thing I thought I was on the right track. It wasn't long after that things completely fell apart. A couple years ago while working at Failmart in Claremore I became aware that my coworker was a drummer and had been part of the Tulsa music scene. So perhaps there was a reason I ended up in such a hell hole.

He seemed to be eager and completely on board with my ideas. So my idea for a Tulsa music compilation appeared to be back on track. He graduated from his school and became an electrician. Of course he quit Walmart and said he would be in contact. I never heard from him again. And the dream died once more.

As for the travel, that's part of the reason I've stuck with Failmart as long as I have. To build on my work history and have the ability to transfer pretty much anywhere. These days you can't just move somewhere without a job and expect to be hired easily. 10 years ago that may have been the case.

I still intend to move a few more places. Counting on Failmart for a job when I get there is most likely gone. That will make things more difficult.

Jeez mate, that is not a healthy work situation. Sounds almost torturous to have that kind of job insecurity.

These days you can't just move somewhere without a job and expect to be hired easily.

I'm not suggesting travel to get another job somewhere.

I'm suggesting travel for travels sake. Pick up 'itenerant' work along the way if need be.... fruit picking, bar work, farm work. You don't need experince for that... just work ethic.

I travelled for a year,... the first part of it quite structured and the 2nd half of it not knowing what I was doing the next day or where I was gonna sleep. I never once ended up without a bed or hanging out with some great people. I budgeted on $50 a day (some days more, some days less), stayed in backpackers hostels and had the thrill of a lifetime.

Lots of europeans come to australia and follow the fruit and farm seasons around getting cash in hand, exploring the country and having a brilliant experience. You sound like you are in the perfect situation to do such a trip not having a young family or mortgage to look after.

Break free of the corporate chains you are shackled in. In the end if it doesn't work out or you don't like it you can always head home. But i've never known anyone who has travelled and regretted it, but I know many many people who have regretted not travelling.

• My Little Pony

These days you can't just move somewhere without a job and expect to be hired easily.

I'm suggesting travel for travels sake. Pick up 'itenerant' work along the way if need be.... fruit picking, bar work, farm work. You don't need experince for that... just work ethic.

I travelled for a year,... the first part of it quite structured and the 2nd half of it not knowing what I was doing the next day or where I was gonna sleep. I never once ended up without a bed or hanging out with some great people. I budgeted on $50 a day (some days more, some days less), stayed in backpackers hostels and had the thrill of a lifetime.

Lots of europeans come to australia and follow the fruit and farm seasons around getting cash in hand, exploring the country and having a brilliant experience. You sound like you are in the perfect situation to do such a trip not having a young family or mortgage to look after.

Break free of the corporate chains you are shackled in. In the end if it doesn't work out or you don't like it you can always head home. But i've never known anyone who has travelled and regretted it, but I know many many people who have regretted not travelling.

Yup. The only downside of travelling is having to go back home.

You speak a hell of a lot more sense than Jesus ever did. Completely agree with your entire post.

A little tip from what I've been doing in the last 10 years. Learn investment as quick as possible, don't waste money you don't have, pile up some cash and invest in stocks or property if possible and usually in 10 years of time, if you do it right, you'll have a steady passive income to support your life and traveling is one of the things you can do and while away, the money works for you.

Meanwhile, apply simultaneously in different companies and work your way up from there. Some people don't pay much attention to debt and never make a good financial journal until it's too late when they're in their 50s or not productive anymore. Keep track of your expense and income and make sure you don't buy things you don't really need unless you have lots of extra savings. Make sure you're prepared and have enough money just in case you can't or don't work for at least 1 year so it's easier to look for the best jobs, not just any job you encounter

well probably easier said than done, but been doing that and I can say I'm quite fine to these days, have zero debt, still able to purchase some CDs, and can travel at least twice a year, and I'm supporting one daughter and one parent-in-law too :)

A little tip from what I've been doing in the last 10 years. Learn investment as quick as possible, don't waste money you don't have, pile up some cash and invest in stocks or property if possible and usually in 10 years of time, if you do it right, you'll have a steady passive income to support your life and traveling is one of the things you can do and while away, the money works for you.

Meanwhile, apply simultaneously in different companies and work your way up from there. Some people don't pay much attention to debt and never make a good financial journal until it's too late when they're in their 50s or not productive anymore. Keep track of your expense and income and make sure you don't buy things you don't really need unless you have lots of extra savings. Make sure you're prepared and have enough money just in case you can't or don't work for at least 1 year so it's easier to look for the best jobs, not just any job you encounter

well probably easier said than done, but been doing that and I can say I'm quite fine to these days, have zero debt, still able to purchase some CDs, and can travel at least twice a year, and I'm supporting one daughter and one parent-in-law too :)

All that from investment? Where did you "learn" the tricks of the trade?

Some books that I really recommend are :

Benjamin Graham - Intelligent Investor

Peter Lynch - One Up on Wall Street

William O Neill - How To make Money In Stocks

Warren Buffett Way

and look for couple of basic books about investing to familiarize yourself with stock market

Never use leverage, be patient and pick the strong fundamental company for long play, and put half of your saving into stock, diversify into 5 stocks for start and expand to 10 or 15 stocks depends on your size, sell when the value is too high and buy when the value is low, don't pay attention to daily prices but pay attention to quarter report. It's quite easy to learn but the hardest thing is to stay patient :)

Glam Junkie & Nightrain are throwing you some very genuine and very valid ideas Jacob, BTW you get pissed off at me last time we talked or something? cause you vanished and I havent heard a fucking peep from you since? I tried to call you when I was in Medford Oregon 3 days before Xmas, but I couldnt get anyone to answer, I was going to spin up to your neck of the woods, I realized not everyone is like me, basically nobody is like me, and people get irritated by people who announce they are coming to visit a day before they arrive, so I didnt push it, but I was very interested what had become of the situation we last discussed? kind of left me in the dark, anyways dude, these guys really are giving you the truth, bro, I am finally fucking around in the line of work I have always wanted to do now, It has taken me drop dead torturous work, for the last 10 years, 10 years of hating life, forcing myself to not just quit, watching myself become a bitter and hateful person, cause I hated life, and when I finally got dumped by my daughters mom, and she took my daughter, I decided I was in a situation I hadnt been in since 2001, I really had no responsabilitys, my ex makes 6 figures, so I wasnt being taken for any money, I had saved well, very well, like Nightrain talks about, that was the greatest gift I ever gave myself in my life, was giving myself the gift of financial education, I wasnt even remotely interested in doing it, didnt care about it, was convinced I didnt even make enough money for it to matter, like the only people that need to be educated in finances, are people who make enough money to do shit with it, but thats not the case, and when it was, I quit the job, and started my own work, so I could make more money, dude, just the thought of hating life, and running out of money before I even got my next check just drove me to turn it up, and go get more, I just couldnt stand it, so find something that drives you bro, you sound like you hate Walmart, dude, I hate shopping there, so I can imagine working there, I am going to take my daughter to Australia this summer, why don't you think about starting to save, and tag along with us bro? fuck it, what do you have to loose? don't even think about it, just say fuck yeah, im doing it, and no matter what, do it, bro, I promise you will not regret it, pretty bold promise im making isnt it? dude we will go get some Aussie ass, and leave Perth with a shitload of paternity suits against us, what do you say Jacob???

:lol: Don't know Western Australia too well, but one massive recommendation for a quick daytrip from Fremantle is Rottnest Island. Only about half an hour off the coast, but a really cool place. Enjoy the trip, dudes. ;)

I dont know about that Island Geoff, I will do a little research, my plan was to arrive in Sydney, and try to hit everything, then jet to Perth, Nightrain, I dont know a whole lot about Indonesia, I am aware Bali is a gigantic city, but what kinds of shit is there for me to do with a 13 year old girl, that's my biggest obstacle, if it was just me, I would be all over the place down there, any ideas??

I dont know about that Island Geoff, I will do a little research, my plan was to arrive in Sydney, and try to hit everything, then jet to Perth, Nightrain, I dont know a whole lot about Indonesia, I am aware Bali is a gigantic city, but what kinds of shit is there for me to do with a 13 year old girl, that's my biggest obstacle, if it was just me, I would be all over the place down there, any ideas??

Bali is a pleasant place to relax bro. It's not gigantic, actually it's quite small that you can explore the essential places in the island in just 5 days but many people spend up to 14 days because you can do a lot of things there - sightseeing, diving, relaxing at the beach, trying some local foods, para-sailing, mountain bike, almost every fun things and the weather is friendly, but 5 days is enough I guess :)

Try looking for hotels in Legian or Kuta and book a local driver for the whole day, it's cheap, probably less than $50 / day including gas and driver. If you've decided to visit Bali, I can prepare a solid itinerary for you and your daughter :)

I still have not gotten to Indonesia yet, but is certainly on the short list, but I'm surprised that you recommend Bali, out of all the places in Indonesia, Nightrain. To be totally honest, it looks like the last place in the world I'd want to go, haha, but I'd love to visit other more quiet islands in Indonesia.

You and your daughter could go surfing, diving, snorkelling etc. on the outer islands, Cody. :)

I still have not gotten to Indonesia yet, but is certainly on the short list, but I'm surprised that you recommend Bali, out of all the places in Indonesia, Nightrain. To be totally honest, it looks like the last place in the world I'd want to go, haha, but I'd love to visit other more quiet islands in Indonesia.

You and your daughter could go surfing, diving, snorkelling etc. on the outer islands, Cody. :)

Oh really ? that's a very rare comment. Do you like Phuket ? Bali is quite similar to Phuket

If you like surfing, Bali might not be a good choice even though they have some surf beaches there. Bali has a lot to offer but again depends on what you like :)

Some people recommended me Ora Beach at Maluku, looks like little Maldives, but it's isolated. And if you also like diving, Raja Ampat is the best place to visit nowadays :)

Oh really ? that's a very rare comment. Do you like Phuket ? Bali is quite similar to Phuket

If you like surfing, Bali might not be a good choice even though they have some surf beaches there. Bali has a lot to offer but again depends on what you like :)

Some people recommended me Ora Beach at Maluku, looks like little Maldives, but it's isolated. And if you also like diving, Raja Ampat is the best place to visit nowadays :)

Mate, if you ever got to know me there'd be a few things you'd learn very quick. I hate people. I hate crowds, and I hate cities. Any city, anywhere. Bali looks busy, crowded, noisy, and like a city, lol.

I just hate those types of places and when I go on holidays, they're the last places on earth I want to go. I want to go to the most remote, quiet and peaceful place that I can... within my budget. :(

It'd be like me recommending someone to come to Australia to hang out in Sydney. Or these people who want to to to the US to see New York or Los Angeles. Yeah, Sydney and New York and Los Angeles are iconic and if you're in town they're probably worth passing through for half an hour, but not where I'd spend any time at all.

I like me some nature, mate. :)

Leykis are you sure you have the right #? Did your # change again? I sent a message January 14th and no response. It was my original intention to go to Ogden over my vacation. As for my current store I perhaps romanticized it in my mind to an extent. The first 2-3 months I was there it was an excellent job. I had a blast and management really truly appreciated me. Almost overnight the place went to hell. My loyalty to my coworkers still remains. Although, at the rate the idiot manager is going there won't be anyone left soon. While working I took an interest in a girl. She was much like myself in that she kept to herself. I went out of my way to befriend her. Over time we became somewhat close. I always looked forward to seeing her at work. Then on January 4th I was written up. A few minutes later she walked by crying and I found out she had been fired. It completely devastated me. When I got home I cried and I don't cry about much. The time I worked with her I tried to guide her. She seemed rather naive about the world. As hard as I tried I was unable to protect her. That made it that much worse.