Buying & selling on Ebay

Glen

I am forever reading online about how illegal downloading of music is killing the music industry and in particular our weak and feverish genre.........

What does everyone feel about buying / selling on Ebay ??

Surely this is as bad - the buyer is hardly supporting the artist are they?? Just picking up their music on the cheap.

Personally I have never sold or bought an album on ebay.

Just wondered how folk felt, cos I know a lot of it goes on here.

Ok, who hacked Glen's account?

Buying and selling of used CDs, whether on eBay or in a CD store/pawn shop/flea market has been going on LOOOOOOOONG before the decline of the physical CD. In fact, there's less of it going on now (in my opinion) than at its peak in the 1990s and early 2000s.

Filesharing and digital streaming are far greater causes for CD sale decline than the sale of used CDs.

actually ebay is the media to facilitate the distance between buyer and seller. It's like I'm buying used CD in a store in London or Tokyo, but the difference is, I need to wait around 1-2 weeks for the item to arrive :D

I support the artist where and when I can, but let's be honest - we have to support ourselves too. The normal person can't just happily buy every CD brand new for the full price so as much money as possible goes to the artists. Sure it'd be great if that happened, but in a realistic world, if I buy a new TV I'm going to look for the best deal I can get. Just like with my music. Because I listen to and love a lot of music, I have to be sensible about what I spend on it, and I therefore freely admit to buying cheap whenever I can. Secondspin.com is my favourite site and it's where I have bought 99% of my modern rock albums, and I have a hell of a lot of modern rock albums.

It doesn't mean I don't wish the artists well, and I support them when I can; it just means I need to look out for myself and my household too. :)

Buying on the cheap and re-selling is what gave me the chance to keep buying new cd's online. Most of the money I make selling gets spent at various online stores. All 20 or 25 new cds I bought this year, mostly from NEH is because of me selling used cds on Ebay.

Buying on the cheap and re-selling is what gave me the chance to keep buying new cd's online. Most of the money I make selling gets spent at various online stores. All 20 or 25 new cds I bought this year, mostly from NEH is because of me selling used cds on Ebay.

That was actually what I was doing too. Every CD I bought this year was with money from CDs I'd sold. Until my child (with unwilling assistance from my wife, lol) broke the lens for my camera and I had to use all my paypal funds and a whole lot more on the credit card to replace it. :(

But it's a great idea. Only (massive) problem is, there is no market for selling CDs on ebay anymore (especially internationally) and I've stopped listing now because it's just not worth the effort at all.

I have no problem with it and frankly, I think think are many labels selling direct on Ebay as well and it isn't always second hand material that you are getting.

And if it is second hand, well...Somebody paid for it to begin with. It's no different than a used record store like somebody mentioned above.

It's the way of the world...Used cars, used video games, used whatever...Is what it is.

Technology, file sharing and the "want it now" digital age are the bigger problems for CD's.

I can rarely afford to buy new CDs, so second hand shops/sites, etc. are a God-send as far as I'm concerned. If I pick up something in a chariddy shop, then my money is going to support a good cause, too :)

I do like owning the physical disc itself, so will always try to find a way to get my hands on a CD ahead of simply downloading an album ... call me old-fashioned, if you like ...

I can rarely afford to buy new CDs, so second hand shops/sites, etc. are a God-send as far as I'm concerned.

And that's how it probably is for most of us. Good luck to the guys who can easily afford to buy new CDs at will and support every artist they desire. I'm sure we all wish we could, but it's definitely not possible for me, so I do the best I can with the cash I have at my disposal... which is not much at all, haha!

I can rarely afford to buy new CDs, so second hand shops/sites, etc. are a God-send as far as I'm concerned.

And that's how it probably is for most of us. Good luck to the guys who can easily afford to buy new CDs at will and support every artist they desire. I'm sure we all wish we could, but it's definitely not possible for me, so I do the best I can with the cash I have at my disposal... which is not much at all, haha!

I agree 100%. I don't think there is anything wrong with buying and selling CDs on sites such as eBay; and like others have said, how does this differ from used CD stores, buying used vinyl or any other kind of used media with copyrights. Dan makes a good point too that buying and selling 2nd hand CDs on eBay has been going on for a long time and did not coincide with more recent declines in sales of new CDs.

Personally if it wasn't for 2nd hand media I wouldn't be involved in this music scene at all. I simply can not afford to buy more than a handful of new CDs every year, those days of splurging on CDs ended when I got married and starred a family.

So I say go ahead, buy and sell as many CDs as you want on eBay. I don't believe it is harming the artists because the alternative for many is not hearing the music at all.