5. Make Me Believe Again
6. Miss You
7. Get 'Em Up
8. The Hammer's Coming Down
9. Satellite
10. Sister Sin
11. She's Got Me Runnin' Round

• 1 month later...

ZOMFG Chad Kroeger cut his hair!!! Gotta say, he does look a lot better this way. The song sounds good and I trust the album will probably be pretty solid again.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or are they trying to sound like Shinedown?

Definitely just you. They sound like Nickelback. And that's the biggest problem with this CD. It sounds like their other CDs, but just worse. Less inspired, is sounds to me. It's the same format - a few rockers, sappy ballads, and just the same kind of vibe as recent output. It's nothing new, but it's weaker than normal.

Why would a band that's sold millions try to sound like a band that's sold a few hundred thousand anyway? (I know that's an exaggeration, but you get my point)

Also, I don't think Nickelback could not sound like Nickelback, even if they tried their hardest.

• My Little Pony

Is it just me, or are they trying to sound like Shinedown?

Definitely just you. They sound like Nickelback. And that's the biggest problem with this CD. It sounds like their other CDs, but just worse. Less inspired, is sounds to me. It's the same format - a few rockers, sappy ballads, and just the same kind of vibe as recent output. It's nothing new, but it's weaker than normal.

Why would a band that's sold millions try to sound like a band that's sold a few hundred thousand anyway? (I know that's an exaggeration, but you get my point)

Also, I don't think Nickelback could not sound like Nickelback, even if they tried their hardest.

I don't listen to Nickelback, so I don't know. But that revolution song sounded like it could've been off a Shinedown album. And it also sounded like he was trying to sing like the guy from Shinedown, too.

But, if I never listen to Nickelback, then it makes sense that I wouldn't know that's how they've always sounded.

Yeah mate, I think you have your bands the wrong way round. If this sounds like Shinedown, then it's Shinedown copying Nickelback - not the other way around. Personally, I just think they both sound like very average modern rock, personally. ;)

I'm enjoying it. Good melodies, nothing earth shattering. It sounds like every other Nickelback album, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not evolutionary or revolutionary.

Geoff... that's two today:

:baneed: :baneed:

Shinedown just average modern rock? Sound of Madness and Amaryllis are two of the best modern hard rock albums of the last decade.

Unless that wink at the end meant (to use the across-the-pond vernacular) your taking the piss.

-Dan

I'm enjoying it. Good melodies, nothing earth shattering. It sounds like every other Nickelback album, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not evolutionary or revolutionary.

Shinedown just average modern rock? Sound of Madness and Amaryllis are two of the best modern hard rock albums of the last decade.

Unless that wink at the end meant (to use the across-the-pond vernacular) your taking the piss.

-Dan

Nah my man, no taking the piss when it comes to how average I think Shinedown are. I admit it's a little case of tall poppy syndrome, because I can't for the life of me begin to fathom why this forum latched onto Shinedown when in my opinion they were never even close to the top echelon of modern rock... yet somehow they just caught on here and suddenly everyone who hated modern rock loved Shinedown... it drove me insane. Like everyone else, I liked 'Sound of madness,' but when I say liked I mean liked. It was a good album and probably rated around the middle of the modern rock pack in the year of it's release. But they were never a band that stood above the pack for me at all - not by a long shot. As for 'Amaryllis' I think I only liked 2 or 3 songs off it and it wasn't in the middle of the modern rock pack in the year of it's release, but probably closer to the bottom.

If there wasn't the over-hype for the band on this forum I readily admit I probably wouldn't be as harsh on them as I am, but I just listen to them and think, what the flock are you guys hearing in this that you don't in the modern rock bands that are actually good?

Take Monty Are I for example. and their album 'Break through the silence.' Now that is one of the best albums in modern rock in the last 10 years. Yet I think only Glen, Tim (2) and myself ever got on board with them (sorry if I missed someone out) and one of the best bands in recent years went by relatively unnoticed because everyone was too busy talking about the dime-a-dozen Shinedown parade.

lol, sorry, got pretty carried away there. But honestly, as a massive and extensive fan of modern rock, I do not even rate Shinedown in my top 100+ bands, and that's just how it is. They're nothing special and I just don't "get it."

Anyway, if you want to hear how good modern rock can be when it's actually done well, here's a sample ;)

I think why folk here dig Shinedown is cos they sound more like a classic rock band which probably connects with them....more than (arguably) better straight modern rock bands.

I agree.....Shinedown are not even in the same league as some Modern Hard Rock bands, it's just that they're more commercially available...and....it's 'cool' to like Shinedown. It's 'safe' to like them....(I think they're 'ok').

Nickelback are a band I can enjoy listening to and own all of their releases, but I wouldn't consider them at the top of the heap for Modern Rock either. Like Dan said, nothing groundbreaking, but good hard rock stuff here. And I can enjoy and live with that.....

• My Little Pony

But the term "Modern Rock" is far too loose. Comparing Shinedown to Monty Are I is equal to comparing Harem Scarem to Sven Gali. Give me a Post-Grunge band that leans towards Hard Rock that is better than Shinedown - not a Post-Hardcore band with it's roots in Alternative. I'm serious, if there is a band in the same exact category, with nice clean vocals like Shinedown - not yarling like Chad - I want to know. Silly Fools is the only one that comes to mind.

-Dan

Nah my man, no taking the piss when it comes to how average I think Shinedown are. I admit it's a little case of tall poppy syndrome, because I can't for the life of me begin to fathom why this forum latched onto Shinedown when in my opinion they were never even close to the top echelon of modern rock... yet somehow they just caught on here and suddenly everyone who hated modern rock loved Shinedown... it drove me insane. Like everyone else, I liked 'Sound of madness,' but when I say liked I mean liked. It was a good album and probably rated around the middle of the modern rock pack in the year of it's release. But they were never a band that stood above the pack for me at all - not by a long shot. As for 'Amaryllis' I think I only liked 2 or 3 songs off it and it wasn't in the middle of the modern rock pack in the year of it's release, but probably closer to the bottom.

If there wasn't the over-hype for the band on this forum I readily admit I probably wouldn't be as harsh on them as I am, but I just listen to them and think, what the flock are you guys hearing in this that you don't in the modern rock bands that are actually good?

Take Monty Are I for example. and their album 'Break through the silence.' Now that is one of the best albums in modern rock in the last 10 years. Yet I think only Glen, Tim (2) and myself ever got on board with them (sorry if I missed someone out) and one of the best bands in recent years went by relatively unnoticed because everyone was too busy talking about the dime-a-dozen Shinedown parade.

lol, sorry, got pretty carried away there. But honestly, as a massive and extensive fan of modern rock, I do not even rate Shinedown in my top 100+ bands, and that's just how it is. They're nothing special and I just don't "get it."

Anyway, if you want to hear how good modern rock can be when it's actually done well, here's a sample ;)

Not a fan at all

But the term "Modern Rock" is far too loose. Comparing Shinedown to Monty Are I is equal to comparing Harem Scarem to Sven Gali. Give me a Post-Grunge band that leans towards Hard Rock that is better than Shinedown - not a Post-Hardcore band with it's roots in Alternative. I'm serious, if there is a band in the same exact category, with nice clean vocals like Shinedown - not yarling like Chad - I want to know. Silly Fools is the only one that comes to mind.

Wow, well if Silly Fools are Shinedown's peers then that just shows exactly how inferior Shinedown actually are. Silly Fools are not 99% better than Shinedown, but the full 100%, imo.

It is way too difficult for me to try and figure out what modern rock bands are in the same category as Shinedown - impossible, in fact, but it'd be safe to say that if you came up with a full list of them, they'd probably still rate pretty poorly by comparison.

Personally, I think it's cruel to compare Shinedown to Silly Fools. That makes them look even worse than they already are! :lol:

• My Little Pony

Wow, well if Silly Fools are Shinedown's peers then that just shows exactly how inferior Shinedown actually are. Silly Fools are not 99% better than Shinedown, but the full 100%, imo.

It is way too difficult for me to try and figure out what modern rock bands are in the same category as Shinedown - impossible, in fact, but it'd be safe to say that if you came up with a full list of them, they'd probably still rate pretty poorly by comparison.

Personally, I think it's cruel to compare Shinedown to Silly Fools. That makes them look even worse than they already are! :lol:

Your inability to bring even one acceptable comparison removes all credibility from your argument. Which is disappointing, because I would like to know who I should be listening to.

Your inability to bring even one acceptable comparison removes all credibility from your argument. Which is disappointing, because I would like to know who I should be listening to.

Jeez you're a demanding little slut, aren't you? I am the worst person on this forum with comparisons, but okay, just for you I'll try my best for a few:

Trust Company

Destrophy

David Cook

Stealing Eden

Adelitas Way (prior to new album)

Daughtry

Art Of Dying

Madam Adam

James Durbin

Lansdowne

Emphatic

Star City Meltdown

Dorydrive

Hinder

Disciple

Downtread

Cavo

... to name a few. Obviously very few bands truly sound alike unless they try to, so I'm not saying any of these sounds like Shinedown, but perhaps they'd be their peers? I dunno...

Mmm, Im not sure about quite a few in that list. As I said previously Shinedown have that classic rock feel about them so youre talking about these as their 'peergroup'

Creed

Alter Bridge

3 Doors Down

Theory Of A Deadman

Rev Theory

Hinder

Papa Roach

Halestorm

etc..............

Mmm, Im not sure about quite a few in that list. As I said previously Shinedown have that classic rock feel about them so youre talking about these as their 'peergroup'

Creed

Alter Bridge

3 Doors Down

Theory Of A Deadman

Rev Theory

Hinder

Papa Roach

Halestorm

etc..............

I considered a few of those, but I assume that Karpetface was asking about bands I consider to be better than Shinedown as well as somehow similar in style.

Whilst, obviously Hinder, Papa Roach and Halestorm are leagues ahead of Shinedown, I'd actually probably prefer Shinedown to the rest of the bands on that list. Theory of a Deadman do have some better albums, but as a whole goddamn they're patchy. Though this year's album from them is better than I expected.

sorry i thought the discussion was how would Shinedown rate in accordance with their peer group.

well that is their peer group imo, and i'd rate them towards the top (ish)

imho of course.

• My Little Pony

Jeez you're a demanding little slut, aren't you? I am the worst person on this forum with comparisons, but okay, just for you I'll try my best for a few:

Trust Company

Destrophy

David Cook

Stealing Eden

Adelitas Way (prior to new album)

Daughtry

Art Of Dying

Madam Adam

James Durbin

Lansdowne

Emphatic

Star City Meltdown

Dorydrive

Hinder

Disciple

Downtread

Cavo

... to name a few. Obviously very few bands truly sound alike unless they try to, so I'm not saying any of these sounds like Shinedown, but perhaps they'd be their peers? I dunno...

See, was that so hard? Actually, I know, for you, it was. And, according to Glenard, you still failed. But I will check those out.