Vandenberg's MoonKings - s/t

Stefan

1525034_231132703733283_1363495318_n.png

From FB:

Mascot Label Group CEO Ed van Zijl is over the moon with signing Adrian Vandenberg's brand new band: "Adrian is one of the most outstanding rock guitarists in the world. I have always followed his career and needless to say we are thrilled to finally be working with him. Vandenberg's MoonKings are a fresh and hard rocking new band that will surely make an impact in the scene."

Adrian Vandenberg rose to worldwide prominence with Vandenberg, the melodic rock band that hit internationally with the powerful ballad ‘Burning Heart’. Adrian solidified his status as one of the most talented rock guitarists around when he joined David Coverdale in the hard rock super group Whitesnake, co-writing many of its Billboard Hot 100-hits, like ‘The Deeper The Love’ and ‘Now You’re Gone’, and supplying the legendary guitar solo to ‘Here I Go Again’. After leaving Whitesnake, Adrian concentrated on his successful career as an artist, exhibiting his paintings in prestigious galleries all over Europe. Music however was always prevalent on his mind, so as soon as he had the opportunity to work with some incredibly talented young musicians, he started creating new music. Vandenberg's MoonKings are Adrian Vandenberg (guitar), Jan Hoving (vocals), Sem Christoffel (bass) and Mart Nijen Es (drums). The band is currently in the studio recording their debut album.

“We are proud to have joined the Mascot family. It’s a great company with fantastic people that love the music they work with”, Adrian Vandenberg enthuses. “The band is raring to go and prove itself to the world, so we’re anxious to finish the album and get it out there and I’m very happy that Ed van Zijl is giving us the opportunity to do so.”

Vandenberg's MoonKing's debut album will be released on 24 February, 2014, after which the band will tour extensively throughout Europe… and beyond.

Adrian Vandenberg - Guitar
Jan Hoving - Vocals
Sem Christoffel - Bass
Mart Nijen Es - Drums

1486727_626375000733586_1681626094_n.jpg

Tracklist:

Lust And Lies
Close To You
Good Thing (Listen to the song here: http://www.moonkingsband.com/good-thing-on-soundcloud/)
Breathing
Steal Away
Line Of Fire
Out Of Reach
Feel It
Leave This Town
One Step Behind
Leeches
Nothing Touches
Sailing Ships (featuring David Coverdale)

True, he did add the solo to Here I Go Again, BUT that album was 99.9% the result of John Sykes' brilliance. It's a shame Coverdale killed the Sykes/Murray/Dunbar version of Whitesnake. They could have done so much more. I didn't have a problem with Vandenberg joining Whitesnake; I just would like to have heard the collaborations Coverdale and Sykes could have created had they managed to get along.

No argument there. 1987 is all about Sykes and his chemistry with Coverdale and I, too, would have liked to hear more from that incarnation of Whitesnake. That said, I actually prefer Slip of the Tongue and the Vandenberg cowrites that make it up. Over time 1987 has really narrowed the gap, but I still play Slip more.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to report back that this is a great album. Huge riffage ala Whitesnake/ Zeppelin everywhere..bloody marvellous

During my first listen I fell asleep on the train...hoping it was just being knackered after work ;-)

Ha..If your feet don't at least move to a few of the tunes on here, then you really do need your little box building and call it a day.

During my first listen I fell asleep on the train...hoping it was just being knackered after work ;-)

Ha..If your feet don't at least move to a few of the tunes on here, then you really do need your little box building and call it a day.

second listen coming up tonight....more thoughts to follow. I do really want to like this, so plan on staying awake this time ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished checking this album out and at some point, it has many distinctive Whitesnake feel and maybe couple of Led Zep's bluesy touch, especially in 'Close To You' which is very similar to 'Black Dog's verse. I think this contained too many fillers and average tracks with several good songs such as 'Good Thing', 'Breathing', 'Out of Reach', and ironically, the Whitesnake song, 'Sailing Ships'. Production is pretty huge and I admire the musicianship but sadly, the replay value will remain low, and I think even if you dig classic rock or 70s hard rock, you can find many better songs on the older albums. Not bad, but average and kinda forgettable.

67%

• 3 weeks later...