Gotthard-Bang!

lettard

I think the big difference with Gotthard is that a) they had no choice but to change singers. and B) the vocals on Firebirth are so close to Steves, it makes it an easy transition.

The replacements in Skid Row and Warrant (I cant comment on Edens Curse) made them sound like a totally different band.

While Bon Scott and Brian Johnson do not sound alike, there was enough similarities in their style that the transition was easy, and there was no change in musical style which helped. When Hagar replaced Roth or Dio replaced Osbourne, the bands changed their musical style completely. Not every band can do this.

Gotthard not only stuck with a similar sound, they also went with a similar sounding vocalist.

But with Gotthard it wasnt really a worry of would they be able to recover from losing a vocalist, it was whether they could recover from losing one of their main song writers (something in my mind that Warrant never recovered from).

A very wise post. Some great points about bands who have replaced their main men!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.... got an advanced copy of this and while it's not the best disc in their catalog, it seems to fit nicely in their discography.

You will immediately notice the "Lipservice" type riffs/sound on some of the songs, and that is definitely not a bad thing in my book.

I listened to this three times in a row. I don't know if I ever listened to Firebirth three times straight through in total.

My favorites:

Get Up 'N' Move on
Jump The Gun
My Belief
Red On A Sleeve
What You Get

A better album than 'Firebirth', more consistent although still swarmed with several 7 - 7.5 tracks. My faves here Feel What I Feel, Cest La Vie, My Belief, Maybe (like a country ballad though), and What You Get is the best of the bunch. The last ballad, Thank You, is way too long but nevertheless a great track. The only track I don't like is 'I Won't Look Down'. Production is huge, musicianship is strong, and I guess this might be worth around 80-81%

This is the thread where I was saying pre-release already that they should cut it to 10 tracks, hey? F*ck! Why is this guy always so right? F*ck you, man. Stop being so right all the time. 'Cause seriously, I am again.

This album would have benefited 100% from cutting (at least) 4 of these songs. Namely the first 3, and then 'C'est La Vie.' Problem then is you're still stuck with 'Maybe' and 'Thank you.' Plus 'Mr Ticket Man' and 'Spread your wings.' Honestly, I could do without any and all of those songs.

Of the rest, there was some okay hard rock. 'Feel what I feel' is undoubtedly the highlight of the disc, but sadly for the band, the highlights are just far too few and if I'm being blunt, I didn't really dig the album much at all. Better than the last one, just, but it's obvious to me that Lee was a lot more than just a vocalist in this band... :( RIP.

• My Little Pony

Im not even going to listen to this. Thats how dead Gotthard are to me.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I still haven't heard "Firebirth," and doubt I ever will.

I listened to it again today. I like it a lot. There are a few songs a hit "FF" every time but some solid hard rock here.

Goeff is absolutely 100% correct. If they would have cut 3 or 4 of the crappy tracks, this would be an above average disc but as it sits, it's pulled down by a few really weak tracks.

Still a pretty enjoyable disc.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I still haven't heard "Firebirth," and doubt I ever will.

I must admit I found Andrew's review of this album (Bang that is).. very strange - he seemed to talk down at least a third of the tracks in the body of the review but still gave it 90% ??!

What would Lipservice be then? 130%

Spun this twice so far since yesterday. Lot's to get through here with a whopping 16 tracks and 70 mins, but the signs so far are pretty good. Will report back in a few days when I've spun some more

I dig most of the tracks. It doesn't flow all that great. They could've left off "C'est La Vie" and "Thank You" and it would've been a lot better. The two bonus tracks are both good too.

Not a bad disc and loads better than Firebirth.

Was flicking through Spotify and I thought, Mmmm Gotthard will on here now. So had a quick listen.

Ive never heard Firebirth, but this new one seems a pretty long way from the quality of when Lee was still alive and kicking.

There are a handful of really good tracks...

'Feel What I Feel' sounds like classic Gotthard, so too does 'My Belief' which is a great song! I also liked 'What You Get' which was a good rocking number with a decent hook.

However, like many have said the album is waaay too long. There's 14 tracks on Spotify and perhaps even more on the duluxe (think Jez hints at 16!!). Youre bound to have tons of filler on a 14 / 16 track album even if youre a band at the top of your game.

Any way, I wont be purchasing this, but i might download a few of the goodies from itunes.

Based just on one listen i'd say this would pan out somewhere around 65-70%

Cheers

There are actually a whopping 17 tracks altogether:

Tracklist

1. Let Me in Katie
2. Bang!
3. Get Up 'n' Move On
4. Feel What I Feel
5. C'Est la Vie
6. Jump the Gun
7. Spread Your Wings
8. I Won't Look Down
9. My Belief
10. Maybe
11. Red on a Sleeve
12. What You Get
13. Mr. Ticket Man
14. Thank You

Bonustracks (Japan)
15. I Want It All
16. You Can't Stop Me

Bonustracks (European)
17. My Daddy Told Me

How I graded 'em:

Tracklist

1. Let Me in Katie (intro)
2. Bang! 8.25/10
3. Get Up 'n' Move On 8.75/10
4. Feel What I Feel 8.50/10
5. C'Est la Vie 6.75/10
6. Jump the Gun 7.50/10
7. Spread Your Wings 8.25/10
8. I Won't Look Down 5.75/10
9. My Belief 8.75/10
10. Maybe 6.50/10
11. Red on a Sleeve 9.00/10
12. What You Get 9.25/10
13. Mr. Ticket Man 6.75/10
14. Thank You 5.50/10

Bonustracks (Digipak)
15. I Want It All 7.75/10
16. You Can't Stop Me 7.75/10

Bonustracks (European)
17. My Daddy Told Me 8.50/10

Total: 77%

Those 2 bonus tracks you list a Jap bonuses are on my version, which is the European one.

I'm quite liking this disc, good and solid and better than 'Firebirth'. I do actually really like the ballad 'Thank You' and it stood out for me as one of the highlights, although it is a little on the long side.

Those 2 bonus tracks you list a Jap bonuses are on my version, which is the European one.

I'm quite liking this disc, good and solid and better than 'Firebirth'. I do actually really like the ballad 'Thank You' and it stood out for me as one of the highlights, although it is a little on the long side.

I think they are also on the digipak version.

I must admit I found Andrew's review of this album (Bang that is).. very strange - he seemed to talk down at least a third of the tracks in the body of the review but still gave it 90% ??!

What would Lipservice be then? 130%

Absolutely hilarious comment and so true. I was in tears when I read it Glen. ;-)))

How I graded 'em:

Tracklist

1. Let Me in Katie (intro)

2. Bang! 8.25/10

3. Get Up 'n' Move On 8.75/10

4. Feel What I Feel 8.50/10

5. C'Est la Vie 6.75/10

6. Jump the Gun 7.50/10

7. Spread Your Wings 8.25/10

8. I Won't Look Down 5.75/10

9. My Belief 8.75/10

10. Maybe 6.50/10

11. Red on a Sleeve 9.00/10

12. What You Get 9.25/10

13. Mr. Ticket Man 6.75/10

14. Thank You 5.50/10

Bonustracks (Digipak)

15. I Want It All 7.75/10

16. You Can't Stop Me 7.75/10

Bonustracks (European)

17. My Daddy Told Me 8.50/10

Total: 77%

Generous, mate. ;)

For the record, here's how it played out for me:

1. Let Me In Katie (0:39) - intro -
2. Bang! (3:54) - too banal to listen to seriously - 6.00
3. Get Up 'N' Move On (3:55) - solid enough rocker - 7.00
4. Feel What I Feel (4:16) - very nice melodic rock - 8.50
5. G'est La Vie (4:12) - limp as hell - 6.00
6. Jump The Gun (3:41) - good riff, good hard rocker - 8.25
7. Spread Your Wings (5:36) - solid enough, just - 7.00
8. I Won't Look Down (4:18) - okay, I guess - 6.50
9. My Belief (4:37) - good rocker - 7.75
10. Maybe (Duet Version) (4:29) - completely weak as piss - 5.00
11. Red On A Sleeve (3:56) - just passable - 7.00
12. What You Get (4:57) - solid rocker - 7.00
13. Mr. Ticket Man (3:32) - really pointless song - 6.00
14. Thank You (10:53) - really weak ballad - 5.00
15. I Want It All (Bonus For Japan) (3:30) - simple, but solid rocker - 7.25
16. You Can't Stop Me (Bonus For Japan) (4:39) - very, very poor song - blatant filler - 5.00
17. Daddy Told Me - surprisingly, another blatant filler - 5.25
Total - 65%