Gotthard-Bang!

lettard

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had one of the most difficult jobs with Firebirth, and they pulled it off.

Its hard to believe they were actually able to replace Steve and still be as good as ever, but they did it.

I am sure this will be another great album.

Their last one wasn't very memorable for me. I don't feel they were able to replace Steve Lee. I think they moved on and gave it a decent go. I need to revisit Firebirth I guess.

Put this band in the category of Warrant, Skid Row, Eden's Curse, etc. of bands that lost their lead singer and while they had some decent stuff afterwards, they were just not the same band for me.

Edens curse is easily their BEST album.

It's good, but the new singers voice is in no way as dynamic as Eden's. I just loved the range and something about the way he sings it feels like he is lost in the song, or singing with so much conviction. I don't get that from the new guy and unfortunately for me that is what I liked about EC.

I think the big difference with Gotthard is that a) they had no choice but to change singers. and B) the vocals on Firebirth are so close to Steves, it makes it an easy transition.

The replacements in Skid Row and Warrant (I cant comment on Edens Curse) made them sound like a totally different band.

While Bon Scott and Brian Johnson do not sound alike, there was enough similarities in their style that the transition was easy, and there was no change in musical style which helped. When Hagar replaced Roth or Dio replaced Osbourne, the bands changed their musical style completely. Not every band can do this.

Gotthard not only stuck with a similar sound, they also went with a similar sounding vocalist.

But with Gotthard it wasnt really a worry of would they be able to recover from losing a vocalist, it was whether they could recover from losing one of their main song writers (something in my mind that Warrant never recovered from).

I'll be grabbing this CD as I've loved and been following them from their debut but I have to say my expectations are low as I rate Need To Believe and Firebirth 2 of their weakest releases. That said this is a very hard rating because the band have released very high quality albums throughout their career.

It's good, but the new singers voice is in no way as dynamic as Eden's. I just loved the range and something about the way he sings it feels like he is lost in the song, or singing with so much conviction. I don't get that from the new guy and unfortunately for me that is what I liked about EC.

Wowser, I agree with Glen 100% and I do not prefer the new vocalist 99% to Eden, but a full 110% do I prefer the new vocalist. Eden's voice grates the shit out of my ears and the new vocalist is a good one. Best thing that ever happened to that band, imo, of course.

As for Gotthard, really, really hoping the guys pull off the new CD. I "liked" the last CD but that was it. I can't remember a single song off it, but it was solid. They need to revisit the style of 'Domino Effect.' IMO there were more great songs on 1/3 of that disc than there were on the last 2 albums combined.

In trying circumstances I think they did a good replacement with the new vocalist... now all they need are some memorable songs. Snippets too small to cast judgement, but it sounds interesting enough. I'll be really hoping they pull it off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony

Wowser, I agree with Glen 100% and I do not prefer the new vocalist 99% to Eden, but a full 110% do I prefer the new vocalist. Eden's voice grates the shit out of my ears and the new vocalist is a good one. Best thing that ever happened to that band, imo, of course.

Did that make any sense to anyone?

Did that make any sense to anyone?

Yes basically Geoff is saying im the man and that he agrees with everything I say ;-)

• My Little Pony

Seriously, guys? I like that song a lot, so here's looking forward to the album! Sound quality is quite bad in that youtube-clip...

I'm not talking about the sound quality - it is bad, though - I'm strictly speaking of the song. The choruses just don't seem to go anywhere. I'm not saying the song is shit, but it doesn't excite me.