The Theander Expression - Strange Nostalgia

heavyharmonies

Every now and then a track hits you, not sure why, but it just has "it". Nothing terribly innovative here, but damned does it sound good, especially once you hit the chorus. Might be a tad light for some folks, but if you like traditional/vintage AOR, this will be right up your alley.

The rest of the album thus far is just as solid.

(Please don't give away who it is until people have had a chance to listen...)

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/audio/samplesong.mp3

You're right. Nothing that hasn't been done before but damn that does sound good. Especially the chorus.

Is there a file embedded here? My phone isn't displaying anything. I'll listen when I get home.

I'm guessing your phone doesn't support Flash. When you post a link to an mp3, the board automatically converts it to an embedded mp3 player, which unfortunately is Flash-based.

• My Little Pony

Good track, though not one that grabs me. I'm not even sure why certain songs stand out to me while others don't. There doesn't appear to be a surefire formula. As an example, some AOR tracks that grabbed me, and still haven't let go are:

Alias - True Emotion

Bad English - Don't Walk Away

H.E.A.T. - Who Will Stop the Rain

Mariah - You Should Know By Now

Think Out Loud - Raise You Up

West of Sunset - Homeward Bound

• My Little Pony

Okay, the second listen is much better than the first. I love the laid back, spacious drum beat. The guitar work is very nice. That pad just fills in all the gaps. Great voice, but what's killing it -- in a bad way -- is that line, "take me away, and help me out of insanity." 'Insanity' isn't a word that should be used in AOR. It's too unusual to sing. AOR shouldn't be unusual.

I have no idea who it is either. I like it, but gotta say I'm not testicle-tied over it. Curious to know who it is, though.

Sounds good. I did start a thread 'bout this release, didn't I?

If you did, I missed it. The band is "The Theander Expression" and the album title is "Strange Nostalgia".

It comes out on Avenue of Allies on Sep. 20.

Sounds good. I did start a thread 'bout this release, didn't I?

If you did, I missed it. The band is "The Theander Expression" and the album title is "Strange Nostalgia".

It comes out on Avenue of Allies on Sep. 20.

Well it seems I didn't. I thought of a different release...

So this is the right one.

PromoImage.jpg

The Theander Expression:

Andrée Theander - Guitars
Christian Hedgren - Vocals
Göran Edman - Vocals
Michael Ottosson - Keyboards
Linus Abrahamson - Bass
Herman Furin - Drums

Tracklist:

1. Conception of Life
2. Strange Nostalgia
3. Insanity Cell
4. Like A Chameleon
5. Sanguine
6. Feelings of Luxury
7. Mr. Know-It-All
8. Masterpiece in the Dark
9. Meet Me There Tonight
10. Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams

Heard this over at Glorydaze and am waiting in eager anticipation for it's imminent arrival. Along with the Sparklands disc, this is gonna be a good one me thinks

I agree KarpetRydOFunk there are a few strange lyrics in this song... musically I like it though and I am keen to hear more...

Agree with all of this.

Not the sort of thing I usually listen to, but this is a nice tune. Really like the guitar solo.

• 5 weeks later...

Dan or somebody should change the thread title to THE THEANDER EXPRESSION - Strange Nostalgia (2013) for easier search. I get to take a quick glance at this album and I must say that this one put a smile to my face, something pretty standard and usual but yeah I bet this one's what those AOR fans always wanted.

First track, 'Conception of Life' steals my attention and I'm in love with this track I gave it an absolute 9/10. Then, 'Strange Nostalgia' and 'Insanity Cell' proved to also be a very good track. 'Like A Chameleon' is a nice slow tune, 'Feelings of Luxury' is a westcoast-ish tune and even better, and they have another one called 'Meet Me There Tonight' which is the pinnacle of the slow ballads here, worth a 9 for me. 'Sanguine' is also among the better tracks here but 'Masterpiece In The Dark' is a slightly pale Toto-ish track, not my fave, and the closer 'Champagne Wishes and Cavier Dreams' is quite okay but not really great.

Production-wise, looks like a winner to me. A solid backvocal harmonies and some killer guitarworks there. Overall, replay value is quite high for me, thanks Dan for introducing this, I guess most of you will agree that this is an enjoyable disc.

84%

Dan or somebody should change the thread title to THE THEANDER EXPRESSION - Strange Nostalgia (2013) for easier search. I get to take a quick glance at this album and I must say that this one put a smile to my face, something pretty standard and usual but yeah I bet this one's what those AOR fans always wanted.

First track, 'Conception of Life' steals my attention and I'm in love with this track I gave it an absolute 9/10. Then, 'Strange Nostalgia' and 'Insanity Cell' proved to also be a very good track. 'Like A Chameleon' is a nice slow tune, 'Feelings of Luxury' is a westcoast-ish tune and even better, and they have another one called 'Meet Me There Tonight' which is the pinnacle of the slow ballads here, worth a 9 for me. 'Sanguine' is also among the better tracks here but 'Masterpiece In The Dark' is a slightly pale Toto-ish track, not my fave, and the closer 'Champagne Wishes and Cavier Dreams' is quite okay but not really great.

Production-wise, looks like a winner to me. A solid backvocal harmonies and some killer guitarworks there. Overall, replay value is quite high for me, thanks Dan for introducing this, I guess most of you will agree that this is an enjoyable disc.

84%

Sounds good. I read a review that said the album is okay, not great, but has some killer guitar solos.

Re thread title, maybe you could just start a new one...? :)