The Babys - I'll Have Some Of That

Stefan

I absolutely love this band, but i'm not sure about The Babys minus John Waite to be honest. Some bands work with a change of front man, some don't. I like the song though, which is the main thing I suppose.

• My Little Pony

I read that as one sentence, "The Baby's Not Ready to Say Goodbye," and thought, "Damn, sounds like a depressing song."

I wouldn't put Bad Company in that group. they went with a total different sound with Howe and only returned to the big blues rock sound with Hart.

Yeah, I was referring to Hart with BC -- he sounds so much like Rodgers I was almost blown away to learn it wasn't him. Howe was a refreshing choice, one I wish more bands would copy to prove they can survive without a trademark voice.

Good song - I agree with Jez and RevM about the new vocalist and whether bands work or not when you replace such a distinctive vocalist. The song is good enough and does hark back to that classic Babys sound circa Head First - the vocal phrasing at the start is a direct lift off JWs style. It's tough, I'd probably buy it for the Babys name as they are one of my fave bands but would I REALLY consider it a Babys album proper? I think if he was mimicking JW all the way through it might just get on my nerves.

Yeah, not convinced by this ... 'Union Jacks' is one of my all-time favourite albums, and to me The Babys without Waite is like Priest without Halford or Maiden without Dickinson ... I don't see it working :(

I heard the beginning of the song and thought it had promise, then I hear the singer trying to sound like Waite and I was instantly turned off.

• 10 months later...

I've had the album (Nick C Too) for about a week now, as it was given as a download to people that have 'Pledged' for the physical release in May (June for non pledgers). All I will say for the moment is that It's a really good, strong album and existing Babys fans are gonna love it and it may well surprise a good few others along the way too.

I couldn't really detect too much trying to sound like Waite, personally. If he tries, he's a fool. That;s one voice no one can or should even try to emulate, as you'll just fail and look silly. I guess that song is okay, but not knowing any of the band's back catalogue I don't know how good it should be. ;) I'd possibly give the new album a listen...

Heard this song on a classic rock mag cd weeks ago. Have to say I wasn't all that impressed, it sounds to me like nothing original and just trying to emulate an old babys song. Im a big fan of all of john waites projects though, everything from the babys through to bad english and his solo albums. Will definitely give a new babys album a listen despite beigh a little put off by this new single.

• My Little Pony

I couldn't really detect too much trying to sound like Waite, personally. If he tries, he's a fool. That;s one voice no one can or should even try to emulate, as you'll just fail and look silly. I guess that song is okay, but not knowing any of the band's back catalogue I don't know how good it should be. ;) I'd possibly give the new album a listen...

Yeah, I didn't think he sounded too much like Waite, either.

• 1 month later...

Physical copies should have arrived (or be very close) for all that helped out using the pledge scheme. Official release is tomorrow for everyone else, so hopefully this will shift a few copies, as it's a really good disc as I've said. A minor niggle is It's a shame (and a bit odd) that they have left off 'When Life Goes Right' and especially 'Not Ready To Say Goodbye' from the first pressing, although that song has been avaliable for nearly a year now on itunes and was also featured on the Classic Rock AOR CD a while back....It .would have been nice to have all 14 tracks on the disc though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...