BlackRain - It Begins (June 2013)

Jeff

Just completed two spins on this, and I'm still unsure whether this one is better than the second, but I'm afraid to say, this one is maybe the weakest of the three, but perhaps quite close to the sophomore. The first two tracks are very solid, 'Blast Me Up' kicks some ass and the solo kills too, 'Bad Love Is Good' is really good. I kinda hate 'Wild Wild Wild', cheesy and a bit annoying, I guess this one's a passable filler. 'Death By Stereo' is good, but the next two tracks are better. 'Nobody But You' is a beautiful ballad and 'Dancing On Fire' is a wonderful uptempo rocker.

'Young Blood' is weak, perhaps another passable filler. 'Cryin Tonight' is like a late 70s power pop track, catchy and cheesy at the same time but I kinda dig it. 'Re Evolution' is so-so, better than the two fillers. 'Tell Me' is nice, 'Ho Hey Hey Hey Hey' uses the classic Blackrain chant and a very good song. 'Do Me Baby' is almost average but luckily the chorus is quite good.

Overall, slightly below my expectation but still an enjoyable sleaze/hard rock stuff, but maybe won't make it near the top 20.

75%

• My Little Pony

Just completed two spins on this, and I'm still unsure whether this one is better than the second, but I'm afraid to say, this one is maybe the weakest of the three, but perhaps quite close to the sophomore. The first two tracks are very solid, 'Blast Me Up' kicks some ass and the solo kills too, 'Bad Love Is Good' is really good. I kinda hate 'Wild Wild Wild', cheesy and a bit annoying, I guess this one's a passable filler. 'Death By Stereo' is good, but the next two tracks are better. 'Nobody But You' is a beautiful ballad and 'Dancing On Fire' is a wonderful uptempo rocker.

'Young Blood' is weak, perhaps another passable filler. 'Cryin Tonight' is like a late 70s power pop track, catchy and cheesy at the same time but I kinda dig it. 'Re Evolution' is so-so, better than the two fillers. 'Tell Me' is nice, 'Ho Hey Hey Hey Hey' uses the classic Blackrain chant and a very good song. 'Do Me Baby' is almost average but luckily the chorus is quite good.

Overall, slightly below my expectation but still an enjoyable sleaze/hard rock stuff, but maybe won't make it near the top 20.

75%

Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but this is what I'm talking about. Reviews like this could convince anyone that English is your native tongue.

75%

I'm liking this one a lot more than the last one!

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, slightly below my expectation

Have to agree with this line, 100%. Love what this band have been doing, but I guess the ideas may have dried up a bit as for me this sounds much weaker than the previous two albums. Still a band I like and would love to see live, but this album is a bit disappointing so far.

Have to agree with this line, 100%. Love what this band have been doing, but I guess the ideas may have dried up a bit as for me this sounds much weaker than the previous two albums. Still a band I like and would love to see live, but this album is a bit disappointing so far.

and that's the reason you sell it, well I need to push my luck and hope I can snap it for a bargain :D

and that's the reason you sell it, well I need to push my luck and hope I can snap it for a bargain :D

Yeah, hope you get it mate. I will probably pick up 'Lethal Dose' again one day, as I was hasty in selling it on, but I'm not impressed with the new one. And I really hate the last track ('Ho Hey Hey Hey Hey') - probably the most annoying Blackrain song I've heard. I'll be interested to find out what you make of it!

In fact, that chant is a bit annoying but the song itself is pretty good compared to the other weaker tracks, but yeah definitely their weakest to date, although I will try to buy it just for the collection and for the occasional spin, there are at least 5-6 enjoyable songs there :D