Amazon.com is buying your used CD's

Jeff

I got an e-mail from Amazon about their "CD trade-in" program and just for shits 'n' giggles I looked into it by plugging some of the crap CDs in my "trade pile" into their trade-in database to see what they'd give me for'em. The results were less than impressive. I mean...woo! I can get "up to 90 cents" for my copy of Geoff Tate's self-titled solo album!! "up to 30 cents" for Richie Sambora's "Undiscovered Soul!" 65 cents for Iced Earth's "Framing Armageddon!"

...and that damn Nelson "After the Rain" disc that I picked up at a yard sale isn't even eligible for trading in. That figures.

Somehow I don't think I'll be availing myself of this opportunity...

I got an eMail from them too - I sometimes buy from the U.S. Amazon - I figured they would be offering low prices so didn't investigate further. There's a a few companies over here that do a similar thing. I checked one out called Music Magpie - or I think it was that one. They buy CDs, DVDs, Video games e.t.c. butthe prices they were offering were insulting. I suppose it's great if you have loads you just want to dump or just don't know the value of stuff .... but ...okay they need to turn a profit if reselling......but.....but...

It's worth that little bit extra hassle to sell them on an auction site or through an Amazon seller account e.t.c.

While I haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet, I plan on using this program to dump the "cheapies" I have sitting in my closet, the stuff that even when I offer it for free, nobody wants. For example, the last time I posted a sale list here, nobody wanted Papa Roach or Kid Rock, even for free, but I can trade 'em in for a buck or two. Same goes for the pile of DVDs I have. In other words, I don't think this program is valuable for actually making a profit or getting rid of anything other than common titles, but it seems like an easy way to clean some "junk" and make a few dollars to spend on Amazon.

While I haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet, I plan on using this program to dump the "cheapies" I have sitting in my closet, the stuff that even when I offer it for free, nobody wants. For example, the last time I posted a sale list here, nobody wanted Papa Roach or Kid Rock, even for free, but I can trade 'em in for a buck or two. Same goes for the pile of DVDs I have. In other words, I don't think this program is valuable for actually making a profit or getting rid of anything other than common titles, but it seems like an easy way to clean some "junk" and make a few dollars to spend on Amazon.

I'm going to do the same thing. I've got a big box of cd's that I could maybe sell on ebay for 99 cents each...maybe, but I hate selling on ebay. I keep taking it into the used cd store here in town month after month and they just keep pushing it back to me. My wife keeps yelling at me to find someplace to get rid of them, and I would hate to just throw them away. Maybe Amazon can take some off my hands for some credit.

I'm going to do the same thing. I've got a big box of cd's that I could maybe sell on ebay for 99 cents each...maybe, but I hate selling on ebay. I keep taking it into the used cd store here in town month after month and they just keep pushing it back to me. My wife keeps yelling at me to find someplace to get rid of them, and I would hate to just throw them away. Maybe Amazon can take some off my hands for some credit.

Can you please give us that list? :D

I buy quite a lot of CD's from a German site, www.medimops.de. The prices are good and I don't have to pay for shipping if the total is more than 20€. They also ask me to sell them my CD's, but I haven't done so yet.

I got an eMail from them too - I sometimes buy from the U.S. Amazon - I figured they would be offering low prices so didn't investigate further. There's a a few companies over here that do a similar thing. I checked one out called Music Magpie - or I think it was that one. They buy CDs, DVDs, Video games e.t.c. butthe prices they were offering were insulting. I suppose it's great if you have loads you just want to dump or just don't know the value of stuff .... but ...okay they need to turn a profit if reselling......but.....but...

It's worth that little bit extra hassle to sell them on an auction site or through an Amazon seller account e.t.c.

Yeah, I looked at Music Magpie and the amount they offer is pathetic. I would genuinely rather give CDs away than take 20p or 30p each for them. Arseholes. They even have the gall to advertise on television!

Secondspin always want my used CDs. Like Mark says, I'd be more than happy to get rid of probably about 1-200 of my really crabby discs for $1 or $2 but sadly ALL of these sites are international and by the time you pay postage you've lost money already, if anything. :(