Vega

Glen

This is a good disc, but I like the debut album a lot more. "Saviour" and "Cry" are the big standouts for me, but there's too much filler through the mid-section of this to be a disc I'd play from beginning to end. Production is also a bit muddy IMO. It's still a strong disc and well worth getting, but probably below expectations slightly and definitely below the quality of the W.E.T disc IMO (by quite some margin). About an 8/10 from me...

Mmm, which songs dont work for you? I tend to like most of them actually. That ballad about flames or something is quite weak.

Yeah, very odd. I personally prefer this over the debut, and also over the new WET disc, easily.

I don't hear any fillers. The obvious songs are weaker (the title track and 'Raise Ya Game') but I definitely don't consider anything a filler.

'Hand in the air,' 'She walks alone,' 'Cry' and 'Not there for you' are the 4 best songs I've heard all year, and only 'Stay' off the debut compares to any of them. Nothing on the WET disc is even in the same ballpark, imho. ;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm, that's going a bit far too - nothing on the WET disc in the same ballpark?? I'd question that.

Okay, "ballpark' is rough, but I definitely prefer probably 7-8 songs on the Vega CD over the best song on the WET disc. which is probably 'Love heals,' I think? That is better than the ballads on the Vega disc, though.

I think there's only about 5% difference between the two in my ratings, but I do honestly think the Vega disc is a lot better in every regard... except I like WET's balls a little more. But songwise, Vega every step of the way.

Mmm, that's going a bit far too - nothing on the WET disc in the same ballpark?? I'd question that.

Okay, "ballpark' is rough, but I definitely prefer probably 7-8 songs on the Vega CD over the best song on the WET disc. which is probably 'Love heals,' I think? That is better than the ballads on the Vega disc, though.

I think there's only about 5% difference between the two in my ratings, but I do honestly think the Vega disc is a lot better in every regard... except I like WET's balls a little more. But songwise, Vega every step of the way.

I'd pick the new W.E.T. over the new Vega any day. Alot of things irritate me about the new Vega: the initial release delay, the lame cover art, the God awful album title, some of the song titles are horrendous, Nick Workman's vocals sometimes grate me the wrong way (sorta like Justin Hawkin's vocals get to you, although their voices are not at all similar) and the bands excessive use of gay looking make-up and clothing....from the band photo in the middle of the insert, I just love Nick's 'foulard' around his neck and the one Martin brother staggering like a zombie.

I do like some tracks very much so: 'White Knuckle Ride', 'Not There For You', 'Cry', 'She Walks Alone' and 'Saviour'.

I prefer the debut, but it also grew old fast and I rarely listen to it. I doubt I'll buy the next release.

I can't say it's a bad release, but it's just not what I like.

I don't know how it'll be fair to mark down an album based on cover art, album title, and band's make up, I thought it's all about the songs.

Although I prefer the debut too, I think the songs hold and will be a classic stuff after 10-20 years, and this one's really great, I guess you should put off the negative non-music issues first and try to give it more spins :D

I think for me both albums will pan out around 85-90%, but I do honestly believe that I might prefer Pretty Maids to both - too early to tell.

And with WoA, and a few other likely gems to come this year I can't see either finishing top of the lot. We'll see.

I'd pick the new W.E.T. over the new Vega any day. Alot of things irritate me about the new Vega: the initial release delay, the lame cover art, the God awful album title, some of the song titles are horrendous, Nick Workman's vocals sometimes grate me the wrong way (sorta like Justin Hawkin's vocals get to you, although their voices are not at all similar) and the bands excessive use of gay looking make-up and clothing....from the band photo in the middle of the insert, I just love Nick's 'foulard' around his neck and the one Martin brother staggering like a zombie.

I do like some tracks very much so: 'White Knuckle Ride', 'Not There For You', 'Cry', 'She Walks Alone' and 'Saviour'.

I prefer the debut, but it also grew old fast and I rarely listen to it. I doubt I'll buy the next release.

I can't say it's a bad release, but it's just not what I like.

I pretty much agree with all of that - although I don't have an issue with the vocals. I'd also add the production, which sounds muddy on a lot of the choruses. Though I like it enough to buy their next disc, I do find it way too patchy to play from start to finish. "White Knuckle Ride" is great, the title-track is a skip, the next 2 tracks are excellent - but afterwards are a few songs I would never play again. Of the latter songs, "She Walks Away" / "Saviour" / "Hands In The Air" are all excellent, but I make that about 5 songs out of 13. "Saviour" is as good as anything on the debut, and anything on the W.E.T album, but none of the others can compete with any of my fave tunes on the W.E.T disc ("Walk Away" / "Learn to Live Again" / "Love Heals" / "What You Want" / "Still Unbroken"). W.E.T is about a 9.5 / 10 from me, whereas VEGA is probably an 8 / 10 at best...

• 4 weeks later...

I've listened to this one about 6 times now and it's difficult to review. It is definitely the best and most consistent album this year so far, although I haven’t heard many 2013 releases yet. There are no songs I don't like at all; the only ones I think are a little weaker than the rest are 'White Knuckle Ride', 'Cry', 'Bless My Soul' and 'It's Gonna Be Alright'. The rest of the songs are all good, which for an album with 13 songs, is pretty good. I do have a bit of a problem with it, though, and this is the bit that is going to be difficult to get across. Firstly, there are no real killer songs. For me, 'What the Hell', 'Not There for You' and 'Turn It On' are the best songs on the album, but they don't really stand out from the others; they are just a little bit better. Secondly, the songs are all so similar ... so formulaic. It just sounds to me that the band has discovered a formula, admittedly one that works, but a formula all the same. It feels a bit like rock-by-numbers. The way these songs are structured is so similar. I know this may sound like petty quibbling, but it is something I've never really noticed on a rock album before, so it bothers me. Ultimately, it means that I will put most of these songs into playlists on my iPod, but I'm unlikely to listen to the album in its entirety again, due to its highly repetitive nature. Still a good album though, would probably give it an 8 out of 10, just could have been a 9 or 9.5 if there was more variation and a killer tune or two.

WKR & Cry are 2 of my favs ;-)

You'd think we were doing it on purpose, wouldn't you?

;)

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to this one about 6 times now and it's difficult to review. It is definitely the best and most consistent album this year so far, although I haven’t heard many 2013 releases yet. There are no songs I don't like at all; the only ones I think are a little weaker than the rest are 'White Knuckle Ride', 'Cry', 'Bless My Soul' and 'It's Gonna Be Alright'. The rest of the songs are all good, which for an album with 13 songs, is pretty good. I do have a bit of a problem with it, though, and this is the bit that is going to be difficult to get across. Firstly, there are no real killer songs. For me, 'What the Hell', 'Not There for You' and 'Turn It On' are the best songs on the album, but they don't really stand out from the others; they are just a little bit better. Secondly, the songs are all so similar ... so formulaic. It just sounds to me that the band has discovered a formula, admittedly one that works, but a formula all the same. It feels a bit like rock-by-numbers. The way these songs are structured is so similar. I know this may sound like petty quibbling, but it is something I've never really noticed on a rock album before, so it bothers me. Ultimately, it means that I will put most of these songs into playlists on my iPod, but I'm unlikely to listen to the album in its entirety again, due to its highly repetitive nature. Still a good album though, would probably give it an 8 out of 10, just could have been a 9 or 9.5 if there was more variation and a killer tune or two.

Wow mate, 2 posts back in the swing of things, but man, totally disagree with this too. Firstly, people need to start acknowledging 'Hands in the air' as one of, if not the highlight of the disc. ;) This track, 'She walks alone' and 'Not there for you' are my faves.

Anyway, to the rock-by-numbers and samey comment. This is one thing that definitely gets to me in a lot of music, especially really samey and safe AOR CDs. But I have never once, even for a millisecond, had that feeling listening to Vega. In fact, one of the things I prefer about Vega over WET is the wider variety of songs on the new CD. To each their own, mate, but I honestly don't hear anything too similar or formulaic on this CD at all. Not any more so than any other great CD. Obviously they're in a beautiful groove on this CD... but it all sounds good to me.

For the record, a lot of solid discs so far this year, but I keep returning to this one for the year's best songs.

Wow mate, 2 posts back in the swing of things, but man, totally disagree with this too. Firstly, people need to start acknowledging 'Hands in the air' as one of, if not the highlight of the disc. ;) This track, 'She walks alone' and 'Not there for you' are my faves.

Anyway, to the rock-by-numbers and samey comment. This is one thing that definitely gets to me in a lot of music, especially really samey and safe AOR CDs. But I have never once, even for a millisecond, had that feeling listening to Vega. In fact, one of the things I prefer about Vega over WET is the wider variety of songs on the new CD. To each their own, mate, but I honestly don't hear anything too similar or formulaic on this CD at all. Not any more so than any other great CD. Obviously they're in a beautiful groove on this CD... but it all sounds good to me.

For the record, a lot of solid discs so far this year, but I keep returning to this one for the year's best songs.

:lol: - I knew you'd come back with something like this!

As I said above, it's hard to explain. The choruses themselves all sound different to one another, I agree. It's just that the songs overall have a very similar structure. To me, they sound like they are following a formula, which becomes predictable. I know many bands follow the chorus - verse - chorus - verse - solo - chorus - verse pattern with the odd bridge here and there, but there is usually some variation between the songs. This really sounds like they have a template for producing songs, and fit the verses and choruses into it. There are exceptions, but there's a run of about 8 songs towards the end that to me just sound so similar in this way.

I'm probably not explaining it very well and it's a minor complaint as it is undoubtedly a good album (and far better than either of the 2 'Cruz' bands' offerings imo) but I probably won't keep it, other than the 3 tracks I really like.

(NB: Obviously I don't expect anyone to agree with any of this, especially as I'm finding it very difficult to articulate, but it's the first time it has really struck me with a rock album.)

I guess I can see what you're trying to say, but like you also acknowledge yourself, basically 99.9% of bands we listen to on this site follow that same verse / bridge / chorus / verse / bridge / chorus / solo / chorus structure to a T. Just the way it goes, not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

I guess I can see what you're trying to say, but like you also acknowledge yourself, basically 99.9% of bands we listen to on this site follow that same verse / bridge / chorus / verse / bridge / chorus / solo / chorus structure to a T. Just the way it goes, not that there's anything wrong with that. ;)

Yeah, but it's different ... but I can't explain it ... but, but ...

Can we just forget I said anything?

Please?

Sometimes there's stuff in my head that I can't say properly. :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked the debut, but I'm not overwhelmed with the two complete tracks from the new one posted on youtube.

I purchased the CD last week and it should be here today or tomorrow... I'll hold-off dismissing it until I give the entire album a few spins. Still hoping for the best.

Now when the hell is a new Khymera album due? That's one I'm REALLY looking forward to...

• 10 months later...

What the Hell! ............ Great disc ! Nuff said.

• 2 weeks later...

New Vega album due later in 2014 :-)

New Vega album due later in 2014 :-)

Wow, that's fantastic!