Firefest 2011

Glen

Big news of the weekend is that Warrant and Farcry have pulled out of Firefest.

They have been replaced with WET and Newman

My feelings on this are mixed.......

1. Absolutely stoked about seeing WET and would prefer them 100 times over Warrant....esp as Warrant is not the original line up.

2. Gutted that Farcry have pulled out.....but at least Pete is still coming......to watch & drink beer - cool!!

Cheers

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big news of the weekend is that Warrant and Farcry have pulled out of Firefest.

They have been replaced with WET and Newman

My feelings on this are mixed.......

1. Absolutely stoked about seeing WET and would prefer them 100 times over Warrant....esp as Warrant is not the original line up.

2. Gutted that Farcry have pulled out.....but at least Pete is still coming......to watch & drink beer - cool!!

Cheers

DITTO!!!

Personally I really like the current version of Warrant, and they are absolutely fan-fucking-tastic live... that being said, I've already seen 'em, and how often do you get to see W.E.T. live? :banger:

Oh and yeah, "gutted" sums it up for me about FarCry.

At least Farcry had a decent reason for pulling out.

I personally think W.E.T. are a much more worthy band to be playing FF than bleedin Warrant!

I presume I've missed a thread on the Farcry thing...

If I was going to Firefest I would be really happy about W.E.T. replacing Warrant, but then I hate Warrant!

Personally I really like the current version of Warrant, and they are absolutely fan-fucking-tastic live... that being said, I've already seen 'em, and how often do you get to see W.E.T. live? :banger:

Gutted about Farcry. Would love to see W.E.T play so that's pretty exciting. My thoughts on Warrant are; 1. they should've quit before they made that bandwagon-jumping garbage that is "Ultraphobic", and 2. if they were going to assault our eardrums and continue then they shouldn't even be called Warrant anymore.

Pete - you still travelling over?

Gutted about Farcry. Would love to see W.E.T play so that's pretty exciting. My thoughts on Warrant are; 1. they should've quit before they made that bandwagon-jumping garbage that is "Ultraphobic", and 2. if they were going to assault our eardrums and continue then they shouldn't even be called Warrant anymore.

Pete - you still travelling over?

yes he's still coming over and news is that Newman will play one Farcry song and Pete will guest for that song - pretty cool.

You intending to go tim? And anyone else of course.....Jez??

Ive had my tickets for a while now :-))

Haha Glen, you stole my thunder, I was just coming over to post that!

So yeah, I sure as shit am, and can't wait to do it. Obviously completely gutted (word of the week here in Fryland) about not having the band over, and then late last week just prior to the announcement, Mr. Newman called me and told me they were asked to play in our place, and how it was bittersweet for him based on the circumstances for FarCry, but would I be interested in stepping up to do one of the FarCry tunes we wrote together.

Always thought he was top class after working with him, but sharing part of your set time? He's high on my list of favorite people right now, I can't tell you how much that call meant to me. Really turns my traveling to Firefest back into something I can't wait for. Going to be a great weekend!

So yeah, I sure as shit am, and can't wait to do it. Obviously completely gutted (word of the week here in Fryland) about not having the band over, and then late last week just prior to the announcement, Mr. Newman called me and told me they were asked to play in our place, and how it was bittersweet for him based on the circumstances for FarCry, but would I be interested in stepping up to do one of the FarCry tunes we wrote together.

Always thought he was top class after working with him, but sharing part of your set time? He's high on my list of favorite people right now, I can't tell you how much that call meant to me. Really turns my traveling to Firefest back into something I can't wait for. Going to be a great weekend!

Oh, I wish I could be there .......... !!! :crying:

Sucks the band won't be playing but very cool you will be onstage playing with Newman...doing one of your songs! Did you ever imagine that would happen? :bowdown:

Sucks the band won't be playing but very cool you will be onstage playing with Newman...doing one of your songs! Did you ever imagine that would happen? :bowdown:

Honestly... no, Steve blew me away when he called and asked. :)

I'm sorry to hear that Farcry had to pull out of Firefest, but I'm still a selfish prick..

Another NJ date Pete!!! :beerbang:

I was going to reply to your above post and say it looked like we were the only 2 people on the forum who didn't know what was going on but hey, now it looks like it's just me. What on earth did I miss that everyone else knows about? Why are Farcry not playing at Firefest?

Whatever the case, very sorry to hear about it, Pete, but stoked for the opportunity you get to play with Newman. :)

I'm sorry to hear that Farcry had to pull out of Firefest, but I'm still a selfish prick..

Another NJ date Pete!!! :beerbang:

I was going to reply to your above post and say it looked like we were the only 2 people on the forum who didn't know what was going on but hey, now it looks like it's just me. What on earth did I miss that everyone else knows about? Why are Farcry not playing at Firefest?

Whatever the case, very sorry to hear about it, Pete, but stoked for the opportunity you get to play with Newman. :)

probably it's related with the airfare contract or something like that ?

sorry to hear that Pete but hope you have a good fun there :)

Erm ... I said exactly that in this very thread. Less than 24 hours ago, in fact.

Erm ... I said exactly that in this very thread. Less than 24 hours ago, in fact.

Whoops, sorry mate. Correct you are. I somehow got it mixed up with CDjunky. :( My mistake.

Whoops, sorry mate. Correct you are. I somehow got it mixed up with CDjunky. :( My mistake.

No worries, I'm used to it. ;)

Sorry about that, here's the official Firefest press release... scroll down a bit past the Warrant debacle and you'll get the full FarCry story.

http://www.thefirefest.com/index.php/news/207-firefest-press-release-

Shortly after that, Steve Newman called me, and early this week, this was announced on MelodicRock.com:

NEWMAN UPDATE - FIREFEST AND OTHER STORIES:

Newman update, as delivered by the man himself: "We have been confirmed to play Firefest 2011! As you are probably now aware due to unforeseen circumstances Far Cry are unable to make the event this year so it's with mixed emotions we will now open the Sunday 23rd October proceedings. Obviously we are absolutely over the moon to be asked back, we had such a great time last year. We also have further good news in that Pete Fry (Far Cry guitarist/songwriter) will still be flying to the show, and, not only that, will perform a Far Cry song with Newman. As you maybe aware Steve and Pete struck up a great relationship after they co-wrote 4 songs on the great new Optimism album. "I was so saddened when I heard the news in regards to Far Cry, I know how much Pete had been looking forward to this show, when I found out he was still travelling over it seemed natural to me to call him and invite him up onstage to perform one of the songs we wrote together, it's going to be great fun." ~ Steve.

We are also pleased to announce that in part of the preparations for Firefest we will also be playing a warm up show with Fay Wray: 7 October - Portsmouth - Heroes, Waterlooville, Hampshire UK

Newman will be performing the first set including songs from the new Under Southern Skies" album and will also be joined by Mark Thompson-Smith to perform one of the songs from the recent Big Life album. The rest of the night will be handled by Mark and Fay Wray playing a massive selection of rock covers.

The latest Newman album "Under Southern Skies" is available now from www.newmansound.com, www.aorheaven.com, and most other online retailers.

Thanks for the link Pete, all makes sense now. So sorry to hear it, dudes, but enjoy that moment with Newman, as I know you will. :)

Thanks for the link Pete, all makes sense now. So sorry to hear it, dudes, but enjoy that moment with Newman, as I know you will. :)

and as you know we will ;-))

Scotty, beam me up ... !! :(

• 4 weeks later...