Albums that need the REMASTER treatment

Ya know what, I'm glad I dont seem to notice album production when I listen to music. I just hear the songs and either love or hate them for the music and vocals etc.

There are some demo albums like the PBF ones that I would like to hear properly produced as they have a lot of background hiss etc, but for proper released albums I have never thought about production.

Savatage - In the Hall of the Mountain King

I'll go along with that. Hell, most of the Savatage catalog (up to, say, EDGE OF THORNS) could use a good remastering. (Though wasnt' there talk of that happening, at least in Europe, not that long ago? Did it ever come to pass? :blink: )

I recently upgraded HALL... to CD about four or five years ago. Till then, I just assumed that the rather flat, echo-ey sound of my old cassette tape copy was due to it being played 1000's of times over the years. When I first played the CD I sez "Hmmm, nope, guess it really did sound that bad all along."

Still a great album though!!

For it being 1987 I think that one still sounds pretty good. They were all reissued sometime back in the late 90's bonus tracks and I have some of those I think(Edge of Thorns and Gutter Ballet) but I don't know if they were remastered in anyway.

This one is fine the way it is LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

Why we are at it why don't we add some keyboards on a Slayers - Reign In Blood re-master so it's more polished.

Ya know what, I'm glad I dont seem to notice album production when I listen to music. I just hear the songs and either love or hate them for the music and vocals etc.

There are some demo albums like the PBF ones that I would like to hear properly produced as they have a lot of background hiss etc, but for proper released albums I have never thought about production.

AMEN..... :beerbang:

Savatage - In the Hall of the Mountain King

I'll go along with that. Hell, most of the Savatage catalog (up to, say, EDGE OF THORNS) could use a good remastering. (Though wasnt' there talk of that happening, at least in Europe, not that long ago? Did it ever come to pass? :blink: )

I recently upgraded HALL... to CD about four or five years ago. Till then, I just assumed that the rather flat, echo-ey sound of my old cassette tape copy was due to it being played 1000's of times over the years. When I first played the CD I sez "Hmmm, nope, guess it really did sound that bad all along."

Still a great album though!!

For it being 1987 I think that one still sounds pretty good. They were all reissued sometime back in the late 90's bonus tracks and I have some of those I think(Edge of Thorns and Gutter Ballet) but I don't know if they were remastered in anyway.

This one is fine the way it is LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

Why we are at it why don't we add some keyboards on a Slayers - Reign In Blood re-master so it's more polished.

Why whats wrong with the keyboards that are already in it now? you think it's funny slamming Slayers keyboardist? dude this goes back to MY FUCKING RANT THAT ALL YOU FUCKERS IGNORED LIKE THERE IS A BIG EMPTY SPACE ON PAGE 1 OF THIS THREAD!! BRO THEY ARE NOT SAYING THEY WANT TO HEAR SAVATAGE HOTMK MORE POLISHED, they are saying something Ive thought about most of Savatage albums up until Edge Of Thorns, something I heard when I very first heard HOTMK like in 2nd grade, "hey why is my stereo turned up to 11 and HOTMK is still barely loud enough to get my mom pissed off at me from upstairs! Gutter Ballet suffers from this, fuck they all do, that is a case where a different master job would correct the situation, but your taking it like they mean we want to hear HOTMK with more polished music, and while we are at it, why cant we add 44 more background vocal tracks to the choruses? see you guys are all shooting at each other in different directions, which is exactly what my entire boring rant was about, even though i do enjoy hearing myself talk, that's not why I posted it! you guys are arguing about apples and oranges, sheesh! fucking clowning Slayers keyboard work, that's where I draw the line!

^^^correct. I don't want these releases re-mixed, re-worked, or otherwise re-tooled. I want them less muddied, muffled, and more loud. Not to the extent that they are 'clipped'. But like Leykis stated....I play HOTMK, and Strange Wings...and Wings and Forever Young(the copies I have) - and these songs are so muffled and low that, like Leykis, have to turn my volume up to 20 to hear the song - and even at that point they still sound muffled and hissy....it can't be JUST us that think that.

Did anyone mention Kix - Blow My Fuse?

Love that cd as a whole, that could use a fixin'.

Did anyone mention Kix - Blow My Fuse?

Love that cd as a whole, that could use a fixin'.

Yes that one needs one bad and really outside of Hot Wire the whole Kix catalog could use a little more volume.

I think we had another thread about this years ago and I think I mentioned Dokken Breaking the Chains and Tooth and Nail. Both great albums but both don't have great sound when compared to the next two releases. I know they were in talks to getting the catalog remastered but Don was against it.

Hurricane - Over The Edge

Keel - The Final Frontier

DJ Quik - Way 2 Fonky

Crisis Party

Syre - It Aint Pretty Being Easy

Kix are all bad, Hot Wire is almost over produced! sounds terrific, imo, same with Hurricane Slave To Thrill! night and day differences from their predecessor!

Hurricane - Over The Edge

Keel - The Final Frontier

DJ Quik - Way 2 Fonky

Crisis Party

Syre - It Aint Pretty Being Easy

Kix are all bad, Hot Wire is almost over produced! sounds terrific, imo, same with Hurricane Slave To Thrill! night and day differences from their predecessor!

The Hurricane reissues from a few years ago(I think 2007) on NL Records issued in Europe sounded better than the originals I thought but it didn't say if they were remastered or not. They also got reissued right after that on Cleopatra I think in the US but not sure if they were remastered or not.

• 2 weeks later...

None of these older CDs need to be remastered. Mastering and Remastering by today's standards only means compressing (destroying) the dynamic range to make the softer sounds in the recording sound as loud as the highest peaks. Then the overall sound is raised often beyond limitations, causing clipping and distortion, only to make it sound "loud".

Here's an excellent demo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Also read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

I'd go on a longer rant, but Leykis101 pretty much summed it up earlier in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL Venom - Welcome to Hell, Black Metal, Possessed, At War With Satan, ha ha ha these albums would suck of the sound didn't suck!

• 2023 Gold Donors

I wouldn't be against Breaking The Chains and Tooth & Nail getting some polish but ive always atually liked the raw sound on Tooth and Nail myself.Its a time capsule of how things were done then..but if it meant getting some demos,live or unreleased tunes from the band im down.

• 1 month later...

None of these older CDs need to be remastered. Mastering and Remastering by today's standards only means compressing (destroying) the dynamic range to make the softer sounds in the recording sound as loud as the highest peaks. Then the overall sound is raised often beyond limitations, causing clipping and distortion, only to make it sound "loud".

I'd go on a longer rant, but Leykis101 pretty much summed it up earlier in this thread.

So glad you pointed this out. It's a huge reason why I don't like the majority of American releases that debuted in the last 10 years. Even Ratt's Infestation could have sounded better had they not chosen to "slam the zeros" in Pro-Tools.

So glad you pointed this out. It's a huge reason why I don't like the majority of American releases that debuted in the last 10 years. Even Ratt's Infestation could have sounded better had they not chosen to "slam the zeros" in Pro-Tools.

I listen to a lot of them and wonder greatly if they even went through each track on their way to "master" it? honesstly I wonder if they just went through waves and uused the master preset on all of the new ratt albums

I listen to a lot of them and wonder greatly if they even went through each track on their way to "master" it? honesstly I wonder if they just went through waves and uused the master preset on all of the new ratt albums

They DESTROYED Pearcy's vocals on that last record. Their used to be that raspy ghostly thing that gave Out of the Celler and Invasion of your Privacy that GREAT sound; the vocals sat in with the music so well, especially on tracks like Lay it Down. But then suddenly, we got that really weird twang thing in "Loving You is a Dirty Job" some years later and it's been down hill from there. I guess they can't all be Beau Hill behind the recording console, can they?

They DESTROYED Pearcy's vocals on that last record. Their used to be that raspy ghostly thing that gave Out of the Celler and Invasion of your Privacy that GREAT sound; the vocals sat in with the music so well, especially on tracks like Lay it Down. But then suddenly, we got that really weird twang thing in "Loving You is a Dirty Job" some years later and it's been down hill from there. I guess they can't all be Beau Hill behind the recording console, can they?

No I guess I'm just very very judgmental on sound and the way albums are made in general, I am naturally just drawn to overproduced stuff, I guess it just sits in my ear right, but it only works on melodic music, I don't particurlarly like heavy and power shit overproduced, the first thing that caught me when I heard the new ratt was the way to deep lead and rythem guitars, to me it just had way to much bass to it, which doesn't work well with any band that I can think of, but I tend to believe this to much bass(in the rythem section as well) and I believe this has at least something to do with the muddled lead vocal sound, pearcys vocals are way to doctored and it almosts sounds like whoever mixed them was tone deaf, cause like in out of the cellar and in invasion they are not clear, they don't stand out, but fit in at the same time, there's little clarity in them, sometimes its even difficult to make out what he's saying, just my two cents